Preliminary 2023 Recruiting | The Boneyard

Preliminary 2023 Recruiting

Reaction Score
Our chances of making noise on the national stage is being shaped right now by our 2022 and 2023 recruiting. The quantity and quality of our current official and unofficial visits is fabulous. Clearly Hurley has re-established UConn as a destination in the minds of the current age group. For Boneyard junkies / arm chair quarterbacks, recruiting season can be as exciting as when we actually start a season, or enter post season play. All the possibilities are 'in play', and we are in the mix.

24/7 only has a list of the top 35 or so 2023 players, but Rivals has a top 100 posted. Of all the 2023 contacts, unofficial visitors, and offers that we have been associated with the last few days, Papa Kante is the only 2023 not in that top 100 currently. In addition, all but #23, Taison Chatman, are in our Philly and closer primary recruiting footprint. I bet even he has a connection to that footprint.

I took note that Gavin Griffiths is 6'7 rated as Rivals #71 playing at Kingswood in West Hartford, and Rivals #96 is Mohammed Dioubate 6'7 at Putnam Science. I haven't heard their names yet amongst our June visitors. Any of our local talent hawks have insights about them?

Updating reported Brewster players I expect to be able to report on this year myself. 2022 #153 (24/7) Dasonte Bowen PG 6'3, 2022 #114 (24/7) Yann Farrell SF 6'7, 2023 Rivals #26 Taylor Bol-Bowen 6'8, 2023 Rivals #42 Matas Buzelis SF 6'8, 2023 Rivals #82 Reid Ducharme G 6'6 (shooter), 2024 Jason Asemota 6'7. I think I also saw something a while back about Dwayne Wade's son joining the team.

With all the new local names and July play on the horizon, I am interested as to any Boneyarders that expect to see any of these kids in person with the Rens, Expressions Elite, Spartans, Team Final, or others.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Anyone have scouting info on Matas Buzelis. He's a Chicago kid who plays for Brewster. 6'8" and plays a lot of point guard for his AAU team.

Reaction Score
Our chances of making noise on the national stage is being shaped right now by our 2022 and 2023 recruiting. The quantity and quality of our current official and unofficial visits is fabulous. Clearly Hurley has re-established UConn as a destination in the minds of the current age group. For Boneyard junkies / arm chair quarterbacks, recruiting season can be as exciting as when we actually start a season, or enter post season play. All the possibilities are 'in play', and we are in the mix.

24/7 only has a list of the top 35 or so 2023 players, but Rivals has a top 100 posted. Of all the 2023 contacts, unofficial visitors, and offers that we have been associated with the last few days, Papa Kante is the only 2023 not in that top 100 currently. In addition, all but #23, Taison Chatman, are in our Philly and closer primary recruiting footprint. I bet even he has a connection to that footprint.

I took note that Gavin Griffiths is 6'7 rated as Rivals #71 playing at Kingswood in West Hartford, and Rivals #96 is Mohammed Dioubate 6'7 at Putnam Science. I haven't heard their names yet amongst our June visitors. Any of our local talent hawks have insights about them?

Updating reported Brewster players I expect to be able to report on this year myself. 2022 #153 (24/7) Dasonte Bowen PG 6'3, 2022 #114 (24/7) Yann Farrell SF 6'7, 2023 Rivals #26 Taylor Bol-Bowen 6'8, 2023 Rivals #42 Matas Buzelis SF 6'8, 2023 Rivals #82 Reid Ducharme G 6'6 (shooter), 2024 Jason Asemota 6'7. I think I also saw something a while back about Dwayne Wade's son joining the team.

With all the new local names and July play on the horizon, I am interested as to any Boneyarders that expect to see any of these kids in person with the Rens, Expressions Elite, Spartans, Team Final, or others.
I've talked about Gavin Griffiths on here. I've seen full games of his on the internet and I like his game. He's a scorer/shooter. Needs to fill out a little but has very good length and athleticism to go with his shooting, he has a little swagger/confidence I like as well. Only big offers so far are Syracuse and Rutgers...

I'm all for expanding our recruiting to make it more national but there's a ton of great young talent in New England. This class could easily be a monster class for us with just the New England kids and one of the Jersey point guards.

Reaction Score
Anyone have scouting info on Matas Buzelis. He's a Chicago kid who plays for Brewster. 6'8" and plays a lot of point guard for his AAU team.
Are you sure he's not a soccer player? :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I took note that Gavin Griffiths is 6'7 rated as Rivals #71 playing at Kingswood in West Hartford.
I served as Sports Editor of The Kingswood News about a half century ago, and a classmate was Basketball Head Coach in his 30s. In other words, I got nothing.

But thanks for your informative post, and its confirmation of the strong impression of a program continuing to ascend.

Reaction Score
UConn recently reached out to 6'4" combo-guard Jahnathan Lamothe (ranked #38 in the class of 2023 in the new Rivals150 rankings) out of St. Frances Academy in Baltimore. He also plays with Team Durant on the Circuit.

You can check out his full player evaluation here, equipped with 50+ film clips:

Jahnathan Lamothe Player Evaluation | Point Guard Eyes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom