Pregame Interviews Appearing | The Boneyard

Pregame Interviews Appearing

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

How many different ways can she say, no not really I didn't know about this old rivalry.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To be honest it continues to surprise me that our recruits do not seem more curious about the details of the UConn legacy. Guess the world is just to busy with other stuff.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She was seven years old living in Poland when they last played. What do you expect?!!!

Was not speaking of Anna alone but Meg as well and probably all the players. Still in Anna's case, she professed she all but freaked out when Geno and UConn showed interest so is it so weird to do a single google search which would immediately point to a wide variety of videos etc

Anyway, just surprised. Not holding it against them.

Reaction Score
Are those chairs behind Megan from all of the Championship Final Fours? if so what a cool added touch!

Reaction Score
Was not speaking of Anna alone but Meg as well and probably all the players. Still in Anna's case, she professed she all but freaked out when Geno and UConn showed interest so is it so weird to do a single google search which would immediately point to a wide variety of videos etc

Anyway, just surprised. Not holding it against them.

Go up to a six year old and ask them who won the world series. Some will know but most won't even know what sport you are talking about. I'm not surprised at all. If anything it makes me amazed at how long ago it happened and that I thought I was old in 2000. LOL
I can almost guarrantee the players will be amazed at the enthusiasm of the fans at the XL (most of whom are well aware of the nastyness in the rivalry. And even more surprised at the animosity that will be showered on Geno next year at TBA.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As usual, there were a lot of thoughts (and hints) in what Geno said. To me, the most interesting parts were:
  • His commentary about how many other coaches recruit in a way which he thinks is self-defeating for the kind of players that top schools want. He said that other coaches say such things as, "You don't want to go to UConn -- if you do, they'll never stop comparing you to Sue Bird or Moriah Jefferson." Geno thinks top flight high school guards (I'm sure he was thinking of Paige and maybe Azzi) WANT to be compared to those players, and aspire to earn the comparison. They certainly don't see the comparisons as something negative about UConn.
  • His comments about Olivia. Apparently she feels that she is at a disadvantage with her body type going head-to-head against stronger, bulkier players in the lane -- and he does not entirely discount that. He said that part of his job is to put her in situations where she can succeed, and he said that the team didn't do enough against Baylor to make Lauren Cox move while she was playing defense. But he also said that even though being physically aggressive was not Liv's natural personality, sometimes she has to get out of her normal personality to get the job done. So it seems like there is some bargaining going on between two stubborn people. He hinted that Liv may not post up as much in the paint against as she has in recent games, so that she can make better use of her mobility. But it seems to me that Key (the TN center) is just as much of a stringbean as Olivia, so Liv really should be able to match up with her on equal terms (whereas she was not nearly as strong as Cox in the Baylor game).
He had more to say on other topics (e.g., how Molly might be able to boast after Monday about guarding Sue Bird 1-on-1), but the two points above were the most significant in my mind.

Reaction Score
Geno:

I've listened to a ton of Geno's interviews over the past 25 years, and this is among the most relaxed and informative. Everything about him that makes him a great coach and godfather is on display.

Reaction Score
With Geno being a Red Sox fan, I was impressed with how he took up for Derek Jeter, wanting to find out which writer didn’t vote for him for HOF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be honest it continues to surprise me that our recruits do not seem more curious about the details of the UConn legacy. Guess the world is just to busy with other stuff.
Maybe they are more interested in building their own legacy. I hope so. The past is wonderful but it’s in the...well, the past.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Apparently Lou participated in practice today. Hopefully she isn't a spy for Team USA.

Since it is an exhibition, why cant they lend us Lou? ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With Geno being a Red Sox fan, I was impressed with how he took up for Derek Jeter, wanting to find out which writer didn’t vote for him for HOF.

He is a fan of greatness. When greatness does not get it's due, it stinks.

Reaction Score

Isnt he a Phillies fan?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ahhh - bet your'e right. Maybe it was his infamous "Evil Empire" comment that made me think he was a Red Sox fan.

Above all else, outside his local teams, he is a fan of excellence.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
OMG, I am having Seinfeld de ja vous-he's at the airline counter and says "You can take the reservation, you just can't hold the reservations!" You can keep asking these girls who were 5, 6, 7 or 8 numerous times about a old rivalry but not listen to their answers they keep giving you, so no matter how many time and ways you ask it, please listen to them. They don't know and they shouldn't care, just win baby, just win!...Head bang

And sorry eebmg, I usually know where your coming from but on your dumbfoundedness on why they don't know more about the rivalry, I simply don't get why you think they should. So should every La Tech recruit look up their rivalry with Old Dominion? Have you not hear any baseball players in the late 20's and 30's not know the history of their profession? Like Curt Flood? It's only in age, does reflection come. That's what the boneyard is for-our reflection ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thought Geno was pretty complimentary of Coach Harper and Tennessee.
He was down right effusive. Show that to many Tenn fans and they'd call it a sneaky Yankee trick. Note that he practically said nothing about the game ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom