Pregame in Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pregame in Hartford

Reaction Score
Our home away from home when I worked at 242 Trumbull. I could go from work to Lord Jim's to the Uconn game without ever having to step outside.
Hooper..... that was before I finally met you in like 2000..... we must have drank together a lot at Lord Jim's without knowing it. LOL Beer fan and I and his brother had the timing down to a science. Drink at LJ's and just enough time to get burgers at Wendy's and get into the game.
I remember Mayor Mike being at Lord Jim's before games all the time.

Reaction Score
i like the bbq joint down on street ...little walk but very good food and good bar ...a little less crowded

Reaction Score
Hooper..... that was before I finally met you in like 2000..... we must have drank together a lot at Lord Jim's without knowing it. LOL Beer fan and I and his brother had the timing down to a science. Drink at LJ's and just enough time to get burgers at Wendy's and get into the game.
I remember Mayor Mike being at Lord Jim's before games all the time.
I worked there 1993-1996, so yeah before I met you.

I remember seeing Ray Allen getting a manicure at the nails place in the mall during the middle of the day before a game and thinking that was weird. But he was Ray Allen, I figured maybe it helped him shoot better.

Reaction Score
Slim pickings? How many bars do you need?

A real city should have More than a dozen bars... Ive been to the new basilles it barely resembles the locations in California and NYC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember the days when Chuck’s, Margaritaville, Russian Lady, Civic Pub and the Federal were ALL packed before games?

And the sports bar next to the Lady, was it Challengers or Champions?

There was also a bar up the street from McKinnons which you took a few stairs down to go in JP’s I think always packed. A lot of Meriden fellow fans met after games for sure there.

Reaction Score
A real city should have More than a dozen bars... Ive been to the new basilles it barely resembles the locations in California and NYC.
Well if your standard for a "real city" is NYC then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed with the selection, but it's still more varied than Vaughn's and TK.

Reaction Score
Well if your standard for a "real city" is NYC then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed with the selection, but it's still more varied than Vaughn's and TK.

NYC? don’t make me laugh. How about new haven for starters

Reaction Score
I miss the Standing Stone and the free peanuts. Saw the 99 championship game there.

Reaction Score
Vaughn's
The Russell
Trumbull kitchen
Dish
V's Trattoria
City Steam (confirmed open at 1pm)
Agave
The Tavern Downtown
Russian Lady
Artichoke Bassille

Slim pickings? How many bars do you need?

I think the new addition, Artichoke Bassille, you guys are missing out on. Just took over the old McKinnon's. Pizza slices and drinks. During the week happy hour goes till 7pm and they have $5 Toto's or rum cocktails.

To be fair, half that list are restaurants with a bar attached. Not like a pub or sports bar you’d think of for a pregame.

Reaction Score
I worked there 1993-1996, so yeah before I met you.

I remember seeing Ray Allen getting a manicure at the nails place in the mall during the middle of the day before a game and thinking that was weird. But he was Ray Allen, I figured maybe it helped him shoot better.

You worked at Lord Jim's!!!! How did this never come up before?? Wow!!! I'm pretty sure we were there before every game from when they opened (1993??) till they closed in the late 90's.

Five or six years later, I was walking by Mayor Mike's new restaurant and he was outside having a cigarette. I said hi and he remembered me "from somewhere"....I said we used to go to this pub before UCONN games and he blurts out: "Lord Jim's...loved that place!"
".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be fair, half that list are restaurants with a bar attached. Not like a pub or sports bar you’d think of for a pregame.

By your standard...

Vaughn's
Tavern
City Steam
Artichoke Bassille

Restaurant I forgot black eyed Sally's

And bar I forgot pigs eyed pub

There would be more bars downtown if people stopped repeating the false narrative that there are no bars downtown when someone asks...

Reaction Score
The 3pm start time was great. It allowed fans proper time to drink beforehand. It’s hard for some of us to do that for games that start at noon.

Yes.

I remember a specific Uconn/Georgetown game in the early '90's at the HCC that was a Big Monday 9PM game rather than the typical 7PM. That crowd was PRIMED!!!! :D

Reaction Score
You worked at Lord Jim's!!!! How did this never come up before?? Wow!!! I'm pretty sure we were there before every game from when they opened (1993??) till they closed in the late 90's.

Five or six years later, I was walking by Mayor Mike's new restaurant and he was outside having a cigarette. I said hi and he remembered me "from somewhere"....I said we used to go to this pub before UCONN games and he blurts out: "Lord Jim's...loved that place!"
".
No, I worked in 242 Trumbull, the office building. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Reaction Score
I used to like Sean Patrick's. Underground corner of Trumbull and Pearl. Very friendly. The bar faced a window where you could watch the feet on Trumbull Street. And it was just block from the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
not downtown and semi-unrelated - RIP Damon's Tavern

Was def the best sports bar in Hartford. Tavern has gotten better since they realized people would show up for football if they stopped playing club music and put the game audio on.

Reaction Score
Yesterday Husky Ticket Project and The Susie Foundation threw a pregame fundraiser at Black Eyed Sally's. Place was packed, food was great, A Dime Back did a live podcast. I know a couple boneyarders showed up.

Thanks to everyone who came out. It was a great time.

EQ_G2FuXsAMuWmA.jpg

Reaction Score
Yesterday Husky Ticket Project and The Susie Foundation threw a pregame fundraiser at Black Eyed Sally's. Place was packed, food was great, A Dime Back did a live podcast. I know a couple boneyarders showed up.

View attachment 50971
Slim pickings...

Reaction Score
Was def the best sports bar in Hartford. Tavern has gotten better since they realized people would show up for football if they stopped playing club music and put the game audio on.

I was at Damon's on a weeknight right before it closed. We tried to order wings and the bartender said the cook never showed up. My buddy was a fry cook in college, asked if we could go back and make some wings up and the guy said sure so we did. First and last time that's ever happened to me....

Reaction Score
I was at Damon's on a weeknight right before it closed. We tried to order wings and the bartender said the cook never showed up. My buddy was a fry cook in college, asked if we could go back and make some wings up and the guy said sure so we did. First and last time that's ever happened to me....

I feel like I knew something was up when they changed there French fries towards the end.

Reaction Score
Yeah - the last few months there were a circus. I used to pour my own beers behind the bar - the owner refused to fix the AC - we had to move the American Outlaws Hartford Chapter out of Damon's before it closed, that's how bad it was there at the end. In it's prime, Damon's was my second home. Definitely miss the old ownership group and the staff/regulars.

Great time at this event!! Thanks for the awesome raffle prizes as well, I am stoked to have the Matt Barnes cleats and Saquon signed poster. Awesome job by those who organized this!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom