Preference: BE 0-7/1-6; P Fired or BE 2-5/3-4; P Stays? | The Boneyard

Preference: BE 0-7/1-6; P Fired or BE 2-5/3-4; P Stays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
First off, I hate that it has even come to this, but at this point going 1-6 or 0-7 and ensuring Pasqualoni is fired is what I think is the best option for the program.

I think 5-7 (2-5) buys P another year and 6-6 (3-4) and a garbage bowl game certainly assures P will be back for another year.

I know this will elicit a lot of 'why even go to the games if you want to lose?' or 'what type of fan roots for his team to lose?' responses.

I guess my response to those are that keeping P maintains the status quo, it maintains a level of mediocrity and it further cements fan apathy. The program is bigger than one season. It can overcome bad seasons. It has before.

I can deal with losing, if there is a clear direction and goal the program is heading towards. There has to be hope in the fanbase that things can and will get better. Right now, I feel like it is only going to get worse.

Currently, my tailgate crew is dropping like flies and these are the same people that have driven to Toronto and Charlotte with and have flown to Birmingham and Phoenix with. The casual fans in the group? Forget about it. Even I find myself questioning why I go when the direction of the program seems so bleak.

Have at it.

Reaction Score
Did we not learn in 2010 that this type of discussion should be had in December and not in October? Let's see how this plays out before deciding P's fate.

DeLeone on the other hand......should've been fired on Sunday.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
i think if he doesn't win at least 7 games he's gone. at least i hope he's gone.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
BE 3/4, and we go to a bowl game at 6-6.

Is this really a question?? Are we really rooting for our team to lose now??? WTF is this sentiment!! No offense ConnHuskBask, because I think that you are a solid poster, but this sentiment is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard from a fan. What do you think you accomplish for the program if we go 0-7 in the Big East? What do you think you do for recruiting and for fanbase?

Reaction Score
I think we can go 3-4 in the BIg East and have good reason to keep PP, and I think we can go 3-4 in the Big East and have good reason to can PP. The style DOES matter in this case. If we see real progress, I'd rather maintain status quo and hope that next year we can break out.

With that being said, I don't in a million years expect to see anything in the next few weeks that makes me NOT want PP fired.

Reaction Score
I will not root against these players. Although I will concede that certain results might be more beneficial in the long run.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I wouldn't make a decision on the record but rather how it goes down.

That being said winning 3 Big East games would be a miracle.

Reaction Score
I think we can go 3-4 in the BIg East and have good reason to keep PP, and I think we can go 3-4 in the Big East and have good reason to can PP. The style DOES matter in this case. If we see real progress, I'd rather maintain status quo and hope that next year we can break out.

With that being said, I don't in a million years expect to see anything in the next few weeks that makes me NOT want PP fired.

Pretty much where I stand right now.

Reaction Score
PP does have to go at some point, whether through his contract expiring, a firing, him retiring, or even going back to the NFL. I think our president and AD can see other BE programs are kicking @$$. We are capable of kicking @$$ too.

Reaction Score
First off, I hate that it has even come to this, but at this point going 1-6 or 0-7 and ensuring Pasqualoni is fired is what I think is the best option for the program.

I think 5-7 (2-5) buys P another year and 6-6 (3-4) and a garbage bowl game certainly assures P will be back for another year.

I know this will elicit a lot of 'why even go to the games if you want to lose?' or 'what type of fan roots for his team to lose?' responses.

I guess my response to those are that keeping P maintains the status quo, it maintains a level of mediocrity and it further cements fan apathy. The program is bigger than one season. It can overcome bad seasons. It has before.

I can deal with losing, if there is a clear direction and goal the program is heading towards. There has to be hope in the fanbase that things can and will get better. Right now, I feel like it is only going to get worse.

Currently, my tailgate crew is dropping like flies and these are the same people that have driven to Toronto and Charlotte with and have flown to Birmingham and Phoenix with. The casual fans in the group? Forget about it. Even I find myself questioning why I go when the direction of the program seems so bleak.

Have at it.
Many are feeling exactly what you said but are afraid to say it. You are spot on and my diehard tailgate crew of 15 is doing the exact same thing.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The only way PP treading water and keeping his job is a good thing is if he can somehow manage to recruit good players. That way when the next guy comes in it won't be a complete mess like it was when PP came in. How you recruit good players to this offensive system is anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
Check definition of 'diehard'.
"Diehard"- someone who is dying hard hoping for a leadership change to come in any way possible, which includes possibly losing to get rid of the coach as quick as possible. Diehards do not accept mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Anyone that takes that attitude clearly doesn't know any of the players or care about them as people in any way.

Reaction Score
I wont answer the question, but i will say that sometimes the short term has to be sacrificed for long terms sake. I dont want to see losses....ever. But i also dont want to see a 4-7 win team that runs like this one for any longer than i have to.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Diehard"- someone who is dying hard hoping for a leadership change to come in any way possible, which includes possibly losing to get rid of the coach as quick as possible. Diehards do not accept mediocrity.

Yep not close to the accepted definition.

You came closer to 'front runner'.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't know of any die hards that would root for UConn to lose.

Look, I'm not advocating UConn fans to go to the game this Saturday and cheering for Temple. I know I won't be doing that and I would hope and imagine nobody else would either.

That being said, I'm sure there were Indianapolis Colts fans last year that would consider themselves 'die-hards' that weren't exactly disappointed that they lost the last game of the season that ensured them of getting the #1 pick. Does it that make them not die-hard because they had their teams long term best interests ahead of a single season? Different situations, but the premise is the same. Short-term loss for potential long term game. Sometimes you just have to hit rock bottom before you can bounce back and reach new heights.

I've been with the team through thick and thin and I will continue to do so. I consider myself an absolute die-hard for UConn Football. I want nothing but the absolute best for this program and I really believe Paul Pasqualoni isn't the answer and nothing but his immediate dismissal following the season will be in the best interests of the program. So, say we eek out a win vs Temple and knock off Syracuse or Pitt and Coach P comes back for another season. Does anybody truly believe that we would be better off with that or do we take two extra losses this season and move on?

I was there freezing my ass off at the end of a 1-6 BE season in 2006 getting blown out by Louisville. I won't miss a home game. I make it a point to travel to away games. I was at Charlotte, Toronto, B-Ham and Arizona. If we bring in a new regime and we have a couple rough seasons, I'm still in.

I just know P is not the answer. Finishing 6-6 and keeping him another season does nothing to improve the outlook of UConn Football.

Reaction Score
Let's just say that we lose out. And that leads to a change. I might be happy about it when it is over but I won't like it while it is happening. I understand it is semantics but for me it is an important distinction.

And...it isn't like we know what is awaiting us. It could get worse.

Reaction Score
Anyone that takes that attitude clearly doesn't know any of the players or care about them as people in any way.
Maybe this is the exact difference in how we all feel about this topic. If you have personal connections to people on the current team (short term) than I would be in your position. I do not have any connections and am more concerned with the long term.

Reaction Score
This is theater of the absurd-wanting UConn to tank for a coaching change. Next you'll be telling us to wear 'Aints bags over our heads. I'm going to the game Saturday to cheer the kids on. Hopefully they will rise above the poor leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom