Predicting Next Year's Football Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Here are my less-than-properly thought out predictions for 2014:

1) UConn (Because 13-0, that's why!)
2) Houston (90% of their team comes back, including QB O'Korn)
3) UCF (Even with the loss of Bortles, all of the teams underneath them have so many question marks. Storm Johnson will be back)
4) ECU (QB Carden is back, although they lose their RB and 2 of their OL)
5) Cincy (I'm so tempted to have them higher, but they lose Legaux, Kay, Luallen, McClung, and 3 OLs)
6) Temple (Pretty high, but their young QB PJ Walker is exciting and I think will win with his arm and feet. Matakevich is young too)
7) SMU (Garrett Gilbert is gone, so it will be interesting to see what happens to their air attack without him)
8) Tulane (QB Montana is back, but unlike his father, he can't win games on his own. However, monster DT and LSU transfer Davenport is gone now)
9) Memphis (QB Paxton Lynch is back, and they look like they are steadily improving, but....it's still Memphis)
10) USF (It's unbelievable to me how far this team has fallen with all that FL talent, but no Eveld and no Lattimore makes a bad team worse)
11) Tulsa (They weren't good in a depressed C-USA, so I think it's fair that they start the American predictions here)

There you have it. My early and novice picks for 2014. Enjoy...

Apparently, Storm Johnson from UCF has just announced that he's going pro as well. Looks like #3 in the American might be too high for a 2014 UCF prediction, which is crazy, seeing how well they did in the Fiesta...

Reaction Score
That seems to make the conference race even more open and unpredictable...I just hope the conference doesn't beat up on each other with a bunch of 3/4/5 loss teams circa the 2010-11 season. The AAC needs to cash in on that G5 BCS game.

Reaction Score
The AAC will be weak next year after Houston. UCONN needs to fill the void.

1) Houston
2) UCONN (assuming Air Cochran does not get grounded)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bowl eligibility or bust! It's crucial that UCONN moves forward as quick as possible and puts the PP/GDL era behind them.

Reaction Score
Tier 1

UCF: Still a sound team but will not be as strong without Bortles
ECU: Looking tough, first year teams seem to make a splash and they have the capacity to do so
Houston

Tier 2
UConn: A mystery, Could do really well or fall on their butts. Returning talent at the skill positions on offense, offensive line will be green, defense losing two key starters in Stephen and Smallwood
Tulane: Made a bowl, we'll see if they are actually any good next season
Cincy: Tub's second year. Could be a tier one.
Temple: Talented QB means you can't count them out

Tier 3
Memphis: UConn looked like an NFL team compared to them. They seem like a team that wears down throughout the season
USF

Teams I have no opinion either way on...

Tulsa
SMU

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What did Tulane do in 2013 that UConn did not? Go to a bowl game.

I think it is a mistake to continue underestimating the Green Wave. Curtis Jackson has that program on the rise and they open a new football stadium this year.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I predict 8-4 (6-2) and a bowl game in HCBD's first year, 2nd or 3rd in conference.
I hope they win all 13 games they play.
I wont judge them on meeting those numbers though... I mostly want them to play hard, entertaining football and make me feel good about the team I root for. Wins will take care of themselves if that happens. I want an end to the sympathetic grins from my Michigan and Ohio friends. I want watching the games to stop feeling like a punishment.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Don't have a damn clue. Hope it's a lot better than last year. Bowl game is the acceptable floor. Don't like it, think year one deserves a pass..tough nuggets. It's an extremely low bar for the schedule we play, 2-2 OOC and 4-4 in conference. If we can win the conference, then at the very least I want to be able to make fun of the teams we collectively hate. Can't do that with a losing record and you can stick that in your energy bucket.

Reaction Score
6-6 and a bowl game should be a very realistic goal for next season.

Reaction Score
We are not trying to win against a Big East schedule any more.

Says the guy who spent years bashing Edsall because he could only manage 2 big east conference co-championships.

Reaction Score
6-6, but hope for better.

1st year could be tough for BD, ........too many new starters,......but none of the games will be boring.

Reaction Score
Knowing full well that it is FAR to early to really know anything, but just for conversations sake.....
Taking this from a Vegas perspective, we will be underdogs on the line (regardless of location) to (at least) ECU, BYU, Cincy, UCF, and Boise (yes they are not who they used to be, but neither are we unfortunately). So, if the odds play out we start with 5 losses...not much margin for error against a number of teams that are even with us.

It is a rebuilding year. Plan for it, cheer on team understanding that, and hope for good weather for tailgating.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Knowing full well that it is FAR to early to really know anything, but just for conversations sake.....
Taking this from a Vegas perspective, we will be underdogs on the line (regardless of location) to (at least) ECU, BYU, Cincy, UCF, and Boise (yes they are not who they used to be, but neither are we unfortunately). So, if the odds play out we start with 5 losses...not much margin for error against a number of teams that are even with us.

It is a rebuilding year. Plan for it, cheer on team understanding that, and hope for good weather for tailgating.
You only have 9 posts so far. You'll learn soon enough that reason has no place in the Boneyard. This is a forum of over reaction and hyperbole. ;)

Reaction Score

We're going to get back to playing hard nosed husky football, with a QB and probably the best WR corps we have ever had. Expect some suprises.

Reaction Score
We're going to get back to playing hard nosed husky football, with a QB and probably the best WR corps we have ever had. Expect some suprises.

And hopefully a Freshman running Back that'll be in the backfield with CC.

Reaction Score
I work at UCONN and interact with students and staff on a daily basis. From what I hear, they are incredibly excited for UCONN football next year. They're not expecting UCONN to win the conference or anything, but they think UCONN will be more competitive and finish bowl eligible. I'm dead-set on attending as many home games as I can, and I've heard the same from others too - basically the exact opposite feeling after the last coaching hire ("He Who Must Not Be Named" anymore on this board).

I know one of the big goals of the new HC hiring was to re-energize the fan-base...even though the season hasn't started, the excitement and anticipation for UCONN football seems to be above and beyond years past.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I work at UCONN and interact with students and staff on a daily basis. From what I hear, they are incredibly excited for UCONN football next year. They're not expecting UCONN to win the conference or anything, but they think UCONN will be more competitive and finish bowl eligible. I'm dead-set on attending as many home games as I can, and I've heard the same from others too - basically the exact opposite feeling after the last coaching hire ("He Who Must Not Be Named" anymore on this board).

I know one of the big goals of the new HC hiring was to re-energize the fan-base...even though the season hasn't started, the excitement and anticipation for UCONN football seems to be above and beyond years past.

can attest to this as people who at the start of this past season couldn't name five players on the team were watching diaco's press conference with me and going nuts. The guys has an energy that is infectious about UConn. I think the students (and hopefully the administration) are starting to understand the impact football has nationally on the reputation of a school.

Husky25

Reaction Score
http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...athletic-conference-football-predictions-2014

It seems we have very few believers out there, other than ourselves. Notwithstanding all the negative armchair analysis, I'm actually feeling a big turnaround for us--despite losing several key players. It's time to shock these pundits into submission.

It took literally no thought to write this. The author saw last years' game results from 35,000 feet and wrote the company line. He did not mention how UConn turned around their performance (i.e. Foley coaching Man-Over blocking vs. Zone. More aggressive play calling, etc.), which are not deeply hidden secrets. UConn may not win the conference, but I don't see a 10th place finish either. I could see as high as 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom