Predict how the season ends next year... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Predict how the season ends next year...

How will UCONN's season end in April 2017?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have enough size, especially if Natalie gets in foul trouble. The top six: Kia, Katie Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Natalie and Crystal, along with Kyla and Molly, are very talented. There are teams that will pose problems: Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, South Carolina and Stanford. We could win it all, but we're not the overwhelming favorites that we have been. No major injuries to the top six, and we have a chance.

Reaction Score
UConn (35-2, #1 seed) defeate SD State (30-7, #7 seed) 77-75 on a last second 3 by Chong. You read it here.

ZORR: C'mon, Man. Let's get SPECIFIC. Are you talkin beyond half-court or not for Chong?? ;) Great, bold post, Zorro.

ERIC: Really interesting thread. Appreciated

Reaction Score
In the last 21 years, Connecticut has only twice failed to go as far as the Elite Eight. Once when they lost after the Sweet Sixteen game was the year after Diana left, 2005. In Tina Charles' sophomore season, with Maya as a freshman (let's repeat that: with Tina and Maya both on the team), Connecticut lost to LSU in an Elite Eight game. So this team, even with Coach Geno at the helm, is capable of losing before the Final Four. So this coming season, without Breanna and Morgan and Moriah, we're looking kinda iffy.

We've got a slightly wobbly post player. We have a possibly very good freshman point guard coming in- but we have no idea how she'll perform her first season. We have two very fine forwards in Napheesa and Gabby, but both lack significant size. And Napheesa will be coming off a six-months long recovery from hip surgery. We have a very fine forward in Katie-Lou, but her forte is shooting from the perimeter. We have another guard who will have a number of question marks around her due to her chronic knee condition. And then we will have a freshman guard and forward coming in, neither of whom was rated amongst the top 100 high school players. Kia will continue to be a solid guard, perhaps even an improved guard.

So that adds up to a good team, perhaps even a very good team. But a team good enough to beat out Notre Dame in a FF or EE game? A team that can collectively overcome a South Carolina team with the imposing inside play of A'ja Wilson at her peak, plus Kaela Davis and Alesha Gray? A team that can beat out an improving Louisville team with lots of bigs? A team that can overcome a Baylor team with what Creme calls the "physically imposing 6-foot-7 Kalani Brown, 6-3 Khadijiah Cave and 6-4 Beatrice Mompremier... and the No. 1 recruit in the nation, versatile 6-4 Lauren Cox"? Could we beat out Texas, Maryland and Ohio State? In the tournament?

Coach Geno is the all-time best, but Connecticut is not infallible. Nine straight FF's is four more than anyone else has ever achieved. If UConn gets to the Final Four, or further, it could go down as Coach Geno's finest coaching performance.

We need to expect something less than FF, but be excited if the ladies to better than that. It will certainly be interesting.

Reaction Score
In the last 21 years, Connecticut has only twice failed to go as far as the Elite Eight. Once when they lost after the Sweet Sixteen game was the year after Diana left, 2005. In Tina Charles' sophomore season, with Maya as a freshman (let's repeat that: with Tina and Maya both on the team), Connecticut lost to LSU in an Elite Eight game. So this team, even with Coach Geno at the helm, is capable of losing before the Final Four. So this coming season, without Breanna and Morgan and Moriah, we're looking kinda iffy.

We've got a slightly wobbly post player. We have a possibly very good freshman point guard coming in- but we have no idea how she'll perform her first season. We have two very fine forwards in Napheesa and Gabby, but both lack significant size. And Napheesa will be coming off a six-months long recovery from hip surgery. We have a very fine forward in Katie-Lou, but her forte is shooting from the perimeter. We have another guard who will have a number of question marks around her due to her chronic knee condition. And then we will have a freshman guard and forward coming in, neither of whom was rated amongst the top 100 high school players. Kia will continue to be a solid guard, perhaps even an improved guard.

So that adds up to a good team, perhaps even a very good team. But a team good enough to beat out Notre Dame in a FF or EE game? A team that can collectively overcome a South Carolina team with the imposing inside play of A'ja Wilson at her peak, plus Kaela Davis and Alesha Gray? A team that can beat out an improving Louisville team with lots of bigs? A team that can overcome a Baylor team with what Creme calls the "physically imposing 6-foot-7 Kalani Brown, 6-3 Khadijiah Cave and 6-4 Beatrice Mompremier... and the No. 1 recruit in the nation, versatile 6-4 Lauren Cox"? Could we beat out Texas, Maryland and Ohio State? In the tournament?

Coach Geno is the all-time best, but Connecticut is not infallible. Nine straight FF's is four more than anyone else has ever achieved. If UConn gets to the Final Four, or further, it could go down as Coach Geno's finest coaching performance.

We need to expect something less than FF, but be excited if the ladies to better than that. It will certainly be interesting.

I agree with most of your post, but have to correct the misinformation:

In 2007, Tina's freshman year, pre-Maya, we lost to LSU in the Elite 8 with Sylvia Fowles abusing the aforementioned Charles.
In 2008, Tina's sophomore year, Maya's freshman year, we made the Final Four but lost to Stanford.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your post, but have to correct the misinformation:

In 2007, Tina's freshman year, pre-Maya, we lost to LSU in the Elite 8 with Sylvia Fowles abusing the aforementioned Charles.
In 2008, Tina's sophomore year, Maya's freshman year, we made the Final Four but lost to Stanford.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just another thought on this - if Uconn loses three games in Nov-Dec, even to great teams, that will be two to three more losses than any other #1 seed in the last three years, which would likely put Uconn into the tournament as a 2 seed at best. Which would mean that even with a Bridgeport regional we would likely be playing a #1 seed there - last time that happened I believe is the last tournament game we lost in the state of CT and maybe the last time we lost to a Duke team (?)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Just another thought on this - if Uconn loses three games in Nov-Dec, even to great teams, that will be two to three more losses than any other #1 seed in the last three years, which would likely put Uconn into the tournament as a 2 seed at best. Which would mean that even with a Bridgeport regional we would likely be playing a #1 seed there - last time that happened I believe is the last tournament game we lost in the state of CT and maybe the last time we lost to a Duke team (?)
Yes- Renee M and the girls fought hard- that was the late Charde 4-6' miss!
Md was a dynamic young team that year!

Reaction Score
We will have a "down" year, but relative to a MOV of 40, exactly what does that mean??

I think having the Regionals in Bridgeport helps us get to the Final Four. The teams I am most concerned about are ND and Baylor. Some people think we will have 5+ losses next year. I don't see it, as most of the tough games are at home, and I just can't see Stanford, Ohio State, et al. beating us.

I went uncharacteristically pessimistic and picked a semi-final loss. But I'm not counting our guys out. Does anyone here want to tell Kia Nurse to her face that it's a down year? Not I!

We don't play Stanford next year.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I know we won't have Azura till the class of Espinosa and Gordon come in, but given that this coming season is "supposed" to e a rebuilding year, how do you feel at this point the season will end?
Amid the Uconn celebration, Kim will not shake hands with Geno as she walks off the floor.

Reaction Score
If Chong and Butler can be as good as we expect after the summer. We will have great chance to be NC.

Really keeping my fingers crossed that Saniya rests that IT band, and that she shows us the offensive brilliance that she displayed in high school. We haven't seen nearly the offensive explosiveness that she showed back then. Coach Geno has said as much on several occasions.

If she gets healthy, and played with confidence, she could be considered for All-American. No joke. She's really that good.

Just a big "get completely well soon" to her!

Reaction Score
We will be ranked no.5 or 6 before the tournament starts therefore getting to Final 4 will be considered as an overachievement. Somehow UConn beats the overall No 1 in the national semi and reaches the final to match up with another overachiever just like Syracuse this year in a nail biting game. The end result is very similar to the three games uconn losing to ND in 2012-13, decided in the last possession. CD reigns in Gino from getting any technical call this time, pulls her muscle in her arm. However UConn loses again in a close game. I do not want to name whose fault this will be. But I am sure the whole state of Connecticut goes into a long depression afterwards. Gino finally loses a NCAA final game.

Reaction Score
Looks like I'm with the plurality (Final Four loss).

I think the regional being in CT makes it hard for us to lose before the Final Four even if we're not #1-seed worthy. But I think Baylor, ND, or maybe Stanford will be better than us at the Final Four. Even if we come short of #12, extending the Final Four streak to 10 will be a success.
I have to agree with you about ND. They will be a top team. They have a deep bench already and two of the best freshmen in the country are joining the team. Same for Baylor.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm a definite elite 8- I'm really looking forward to watching next yrs team wk and struggle without elite veterans on the team.
As a matter of fact in really looking forward to it!

Guaranteed wins are probably fun to watch as well (I wouldn't know)... but there's also something fun about going into a game tense with nerves and excitement knowing that you're about to get your opponents best shot and watching your team prevail.

Next year will be fun for you guys. It may even mean more to some of you when you guys make it to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
What we don't have: A dynamic guard who puts undeniable pressure out front. Three scorers who could take over any game. A shot blocker who covered up the majority of our mistakes. A confident machine on offense and defense.

What we do have: Players who made it to the championship game. Four confident players who played a solid role last year. Three solid yet unknown freshman. The question of how many players will fill roles next year.

I think by the end of the year we will be a very good team next year. We have a lot of pieces to figure out and learn how those pieces fit together. I believe a final four finish is possible but would be a huge success. If everything goes perfectly anything is possible but I don't feel this is a fair expectation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What we don't have: A dynamic guard who puts undeniable pressure out front. Three scorers who could take over any game

Heh, neither does any other team in the country.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have to agree with you about ND. They will be a top team. They have a deep bench already and two of the best freshmen in the country are joining the team. Same for Baylor.
ND with McGraw will find a way to make the final four and maybe a championship. And Mulkey with all that talent will find some way to screw the pooch.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
All of this I've said before, but I think it's safe to say the team at the beginning of the year will be different, both by starters and results, than at the end. They play a difficult OOC next year and I can see as many as 2-3 losses before the conference schedule begins. But next years personality seems to be one that won't suffer losses gladly and will never give in or give up. Tireless and gritty. I see an elite 8 team that will need some luck to make the FF. Like Geno-ista I look forward to watching this tough, feral, hard working team.

Reaction Score
Early in the season, while we're learning the pecking order and who is the most reliable Husky or Huskies, we'll be rounding into shape defensively and that will lead UCONN as far as the defense will take us! Even though we might have some losses early the shut-down defense will be there to determine their final destination! Holding opponents to about 50 points per game!
UCONN still will have enough scorers to be a tough out! Nurse, KLS, Collier, Gabby, Chong, Butler, definitely and hopefully Ekmark and our 3 freshmen, Crystal Dangerfield, Irwin, and Bent will score enough to get us into the 75+ points range per game.
Against the ND, Baylor, MD, L'ville, SoCar, the OSU, part of the schedule we will be learning but by the end-of-the-year we'll be a tougher out vs those same schools!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Gabby, Kia, Lou and Phee are all studs and only know winning...they'll show up big time. Soniya will have a break-out senior season. Natalie's progress and the rate of Crystal's development are the biggest variables.

We will likely lose a few games, possibly even before the 90 game win streak is threatened. But with the array of talent in house and the greatest coaching staff in the game, I always like our chances. If we make it to the FF (which I expect we do), we will take home #12.

DRIVE FOR FIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS