Predetermined opening rounds = dead (?) | The Boneyard

Predetermined opening rounds = dead (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I reported this in the other thread. (I'll add the caveat that this body is making recommendations, not final decision, but I would be stunned if a unanimous position were overturned.)

Reaction Score
So, no one is able to make travel plans until Selection Monday?

Not necessarily a bad idea.

Reaction Score
If you want more competitive games, have the lower half of each bracket play one game. Then you include the top half of the bracket. How many teams need to get blown out by UConn or another top seed before they see the fallacy of the first round matchups.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
If you want more competitive games, have the lower half of each bracket play one game. Then you include the top half of the bracket. How many teams need to get blown out by UConn or another top seed before they see the fallacy of the first round matchups.

A variation of that is being discussed. In fact, I did a mathematical model of a double-bye option for Val Ackerman. I calculated the increased probability of upsets, and the reduced expected margins of victory (fewer blow outs)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Sure hope the NCAA is will to help the hosts -- costs and pressures are enormous, not to mention the organizing of businesses and volunteers and such.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sounds like the final is being pushed back a week so they can do friday/sunday and not conflict with the men so logically you would push all the games back giving a little more time to organize the first two rounds. Also like the idea of super-regionals at sites that are repeated - a chance to try and really build on previous years

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not sure about the idea of fixed super regionals because it focuses around building a local market rather than bringing the tournament nearer to numerous communities across the years. We will see what happens.

Maybe something like three contracts would work then move.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure about the idea of fixed super regionals because it focuses around building a local market rather than bringing the tournament nearer to numerous communities across the years. We will see what happens.

Maybe something like three contracts would work then move.
Hasn't a fix location for the College WS worked in baseball? I think they are not talking permanent and maybe choosing three sites and rotating the FF and SRs over a three year period, then possibly adding new sites and dropping others. I just think if you know the event will be back for three years running then you can plan a marketing campaign and hopefully have a bigger budget - with a one-off I think the sites tend to let the NCAA do all the marketing and depend on the four teams to provide the bulk of the fans.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As I said we will see. I do not think it is a panacea and the nature of outdoor sports and the expense of facilities is different from indoor sports. It has strengths and weaknesses as a concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom