Precious | The Boneyard

Precious

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Sorry. My bad :(
The question is valid though. What would it take, what conditions would allow Geno to leave a player in that long?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The question is valid though. What would it take, what conditions would allow Geno to leave a player in that long?
I think it would have to be a relatively close game and that player is a upperclassman (Junior or Senior).

Reaction Score
If I were in Geno's shoes, I'd be pulling my starters in a game like the USF game as soon as I could. Why risk an injury with a 50 point lead and so many important games in front of them? Can't imagine Geno doing it to protect a previous player's record, but as CocoHusky noted, maybe for an upperclassman in a close game. Lou's got lots of time to break Husky records and she just set an NCAA record for consecutive 3's. Plenty for one night.

Reaction Score
Looks like Princess' single game scoring record will remain intact. Geno will never --let anyone break it.
Katie Lou was within minutes of breaking Sales record. Two more of her deadly 3's and a new record. Geno invested a lot of his credibility with Sales last points--and took years of flack for it. I wondered why he pulled her prior to the end of the Quarter---is the Sale's
fiasco the reason??
Based on this years scoring and lobbedsided wins---to allow KLS to end the period is not without historic proof this year--. Two shots would have created a new record. Not unheard of. And not the kind of thing Geno has not created a false situation to invent. This would have happened in the flow of the Quarter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think it would have to be a relatively close game and that player is a upperclassman (Junior or Senior).

I am sure if the game was close (within 15 or so), she would be in their shooting irregardless of her class. Plum got her 57 because they needed every bucket against Utah. Since few teams stay close, that explains that there are only a handful of 40+ pt games in UConn history.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Precious is the what Napheesa means in her father's native language. I'm fairly sure Nutmegger wasn't speaking of Collier.
No Nutmegger was not speaking of Collier. Nutmegger was speaking of Nykesha Sales, who had acquired the nickname "precious" when on the Huskies team. He/she just miss-remembered the nickname, that's all.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno was aware of the point total when he pulled Lou - it was just the right time to do it. Third game in three days, 50 point lead, and why risk another minute. Napheesa was already out and Gabby was and Kia were coming out as well. He really does not keep track of those things, though sometimes the assistants are aware and mention something.

And think on this - the points in a game total is a UConn record, by pulling her when he did, he insured that she broke an NCAA record for women and tied the NCAA record for men accomplished only once before in the history of the three point shot. If she had remained in she was likely to shot another three and might have missed.

T

TroyHouse66

Biff-
<<...was speaking of Nykesha Sales, who had... the nickname "precious"...>>

No threat intended, but if "anyone" gets close to the Precious record,, again...
the Bloomfield High Alumni Ass'n WILL be demanding that the NCAA authorities investigate her eyelashes...
it is scientifically impossible to shot that accurately through natural eye lashs of that length... we suspect that Russian eyelash growth hormones may be involved. We opine that if Samson's eyelashes were cut... (Ooops... sorry, that's a different legendary performance)

BroadwayVa-
<<Precious is ... what Napheesa means in her father's native language.>>
And... Precious is what Katie Lou means in her father's personal language.

Reaction Score
...it is scientifically impossible to shot that accurately through natural eye lashs of that length...

Maybe it IS the eyelashes. Mabrey was wearing falsies in the ACC tournament, and she was shooting pretty well. Still don't know how that gets past the rules when false fingernails and weaves don't.

Any Grammar Nazi out there want to explain how to handle ellipses when the phrase that you are quoting starts with an ellipsis?

Last edited:
T

TroyHouse66

HHG #2-
<<Mabrey was wearing falsies in the ACC tournament...>>

Are you alleging that she was padding her statistics? ... in public!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree that Geno doesn't keep track of individual game records. It's all about the team. The one exception that I can think of was when he left Gabby in to get her 10th assist and triple double.

I would also point out that had Lou been a little more selfish she could have hit the record, but she passed up several open shots to pass to teammates who had better shots.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Precious is the what Napheesa means in her father's native language. I'm fairly sure Nutmegger wasn't speaking of Collier.

No Nutmegger was not speaking of Collier. Nutmegger was speaking of Nykesha Sales, who had acquired the nickname "precious" when on the Huskies team. He/she just miss-remembered the nickname, that's all.

The confusion was enevitable:
" Napheesa, whose name means "precious one" or "princess"
Unforgettable recruit Napheesa Collier -espnW

Reaction Score
Geno knows everything and there's no way he will let anyone take sales record. She helped give him his first nc and he won't forget that, especially since her career scoring record has been broke several times.

Reaction Score
I think Geno cares about the context surrounding records that take place. For example Nykesha Sales scored her 46 against Stanford. Maya scored her 41 points against Florida State in game 89 of the streak with the whole world watching.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on circumstance. If this was the E8 and we were in a close game, I think he would let a player get 50 if that's what we needed to win. The 46 Nykesha got were against Stanford in a very close game down in Fl0rida. We needed all of her points to win.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno was aware of the point total when he pulled Lou - it was just the right time to do it. Third game in three days, 50 point lead, and why risk another minute. Napheesa was already out and Gabby was and Kia were coming out as well. He really does not keep track of those things, though sometimes the assistants are aware and mention something.

And think on this - the points in a game total is a UConn record, by pulling her when he did, he insured that she broke an NCAA record for women and tied the NCAA record for men accomplished only once before in the history of the three point shot. If she had remained in she was likely to shot another three and might have missed.
Right on! Geno has been fairly consistent in pulling his starters by the 4th quarter when the game is out of reach/ blowout.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looks like Princess' single game scoring record will remain intact. Geno will never let anyone break it.

Did anyone else hear...................what sounded like a champagne bottle cork being popped opened last night, right after Geno pulled Lou (who fell 6 points short of tying Nykesha Sales' single game record of 46 points that has lasted for 23 years)?

Word is, it was Sales' pouring a toast, and sipping the bubbly, similar to the remaining living members of the 1972 Miami Dauphins, who finished that season with a perfect 17-0 record, do every year during the NFL football season after the last undefeated team loses. Geno had to know how close she was. He may not have wanted to her to break it, and he may not have wanted to appear to be pouring it on, and as others have suggested. Records be damned, he also may have wanted to get her out asap to avoid injury.

Too bad she couldn't have bottled up some of that rhythm to save it for the final four. Lou was in a zone yesterday. I don't think USF wants to see UConn again anytime soon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to disagree, I think Geno is/was keenly aware of the UCONN scoring record. Napheesa was on a roll @ USF to the tune of 39 points and could have made a run at the record. Napheesa was pull with 39 points. Lou was on a roll had already broken a UCONN record and she was pulled at 40 points. Too coincidental IMO. KLS scored 5 more points after the lead had reached 50 points. The lead was also 60 points when KLS was pulled (93 to 33). Gabby, Napheesa, KLS & Kia all came out of the game at the same time-10:00 mark of the 4th Q. My guess is that Geno doesn't want Sophomores breaking all time UCONN records and have to live with that for 2 more years. :D

Reaction Score
I think Geno cares about the context surrounding records that take place. For example Nykesha Sales scored her 46 against Stanford. Maya scored her 41 points against Florida State in game 89 of the streak with the whole world watching.

KML said that about Geno when she made her 10 3-pointers. When asked if she want to go back in to break the record (10 3s in a game), she that he told her something along the lines of breaking records in a blowout win makes them less meaningful. She agreed, didn't ask to go back in the game.

I think he was (or Shea, CD, Marisa) aware that she made 10 3s and that is why she came out soon after.

Reaction Score
Where does this team end their season without this great player?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom