"Pre-YouTube" High School video/footage wish list? | The Boneyard

"Pre-YouTube" High School video/footage wish list?

Reaction Score
Which high school legends do you wish you could watch footage of?

I remember for the longest time I wanted to see HS footage of Jacki Gemelos b/c she was hampered by injuries in college and of the era just before YouTube but supposedly a really dazzling player at the HS level. Finally noticed someone posted some pre-injury footage of her:

Sade Wiley-Gatewood is another I'd be curious to watch pre-injuries. I'm a Cal fan so I also would like to see Justine Hartman (who was a top 10 recruit in HS and actually might've won State POY awards of KML for their grade/class at some points, but had injuries late in HS and into college was very limited).

Who are some other names? Nicole Kaczmarski might be another wish list name based on her mostly foiled college career and the time she came up but I do recall watching lots of video from that documentary made of her recruitment.

I know some of the old WBCA All_American HS games are on youtube and probably a good resource for seeing those old legends we sometimes only read about or see their names in stats books/record books.

Just for fun, who are some other names in this list for you?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewie, Katie Lou, Napheesa and Ann Strother

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some notables:
Griner. Watching HS players go against her would be pretty entertaining. Her numbers as a senior were 33/15/11 blocks per game. Blocked 25 shots in a single game.

Candace Parker pre ACL, I saw her HS State championship from her junior year and her overall athleticism was simply at another level. She obviously overcame the ACL just fine, but she was definitely more athletic pre-ACL than she ever was after IMO. The most skilled HS player I've ever seen.

Nicole Wolff/Kierstan Walters were top tier recruits who never panned out due to injury. Add in Kaz/Wiley-Gatewood as mentioned. Vicki Baugh too. Would've enjoyed seeing all of them in HS. Wiley-Gatewood's teams were pretty dominant too, earning the nation's #1 ranking I believe her sophomore year.

Tina Charles vs. Maya Moore in some big HS tournament title game (TOC maybe?) Charles' team won but Maya apparently just went off that game. Maya is also a legendary HS player, so watching her play would be very entertaining. I recall hearing she did a great job defending big 6-6 Kelley Cain in a HS game, that would've been fun to see.

Epiphanny Prince and Cheryl Miller both scored over 100 in HS games and were remarkable junior players. Leslie did too, but if I recall the opposing team simply couldn't throw the ball around her when she guarded the inbound pass and she'd steal it and lay it in over, and over, and over until she had 101 points by the end of the first half. Honestly all of the 100+ point games are probably incredibly dull, but I would've loved to see Miller/Prince in HS.

I also like seeing bigs who played more on the perimeter in HS before transitioning inside in college. I recall seeing footage of A. Stevens in HS playing on the perimeter in HS and it was pretty darn impressive. Players like A'ja Wilson and Brianna Turner were labeled as wings at various points in time, but it would be quite interesting to see them with the ball in their hands more and playing on the perimeter. I'm sure there are a lot of others too, but those are ones that immediately come to mind.

Reaction Score
Some notables:
Griner. Watching HS players go against her would be pretty entertaining. Her numbers as a senior were 33/15/11 blocks per game. Blocked 25 shots in a single game.

Candace Parker pre ACL, I saw her HS State championship from her junior year and her overall athleticism was simply at another level. She obviously overcame the ACL just fine, but she was definitely more athletic pre-ACL than she ever was after IMO. The most skilled HS player I've ever seen.

Nicole Wolff/Kierstan Walters were top tier recruits who never panned out due to injury. Add in Kaz/Wiley-Gatewood as mentioned. Vicki Baugh too. Would've enjoyed seeing all of them in HS. Wiley-Gatewood's teams were pretty dominant too, earning the nation's #1 ranking I believe her sophomore year.

Tina Charles vs. Maya Moore in some big HS tournament title game (TOC maybe?) Charles' team won but Maya apparently just went off that game. Maya is also a legendary HS player, so watching her play would be very entertaining. I recall hearing she did a great job defending big 6-6 Kelley Cain in a HS game, that would've been fun to see.

Epiphanny Prince and Cheryl Miller both scored over 100 in HS games and were remarkable junior players. Leslie did too, but if I recall the opposing team simply couldn't throw the ball around her when she guarded the inbound pass and she'd steal it and lay it in over, and over, and over until she had 101 points by the end of the first half. Honestly all of the 100+ point games are probably incredibly dull, but I would've loved to see Miller/Prince in HS.

I also like seeing bigs who played more on the perimeter in HS before transitioning inside in college. I recall seeing footage of A. Stevens in HS playing on the perimeter in HS and it was pretty darn impressive. Players like A'ja Wilson and Brianna Turner were labeled as wings at various points in time, but it would be quite interesting to see them with the ball in their hands more and playing on the perimeter. I'm sure there are a lot of others too, but those are ones that immediately come to mind.

Funny you mention Baugh...I actually did watch a couple games of her in HS pre-injuries. I remember thinking she was raw though had obviously lots of potential. Before watching (it would have been her junior year of HS, playing w/ a 6'4' Baylor commit and against a 6'4' Oregon recruit) there was actually some debate on the internet that she might be a better prospect than Maya Moore, but when I watched her it was clear she was not at that level, nor at Candace Parker's level.

I also remember hearing Tina and Jayne had great HS battles. Maya and Angie Bjorkland (sp?) too.

I remember Courtney Paris and Kelsey Bone were said to have really dominated the rest of their respective classes in those USA Basketball festival events in HS. I'd be curious to see that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom