Pre UConn & So Carolina Press Conferences | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pre UConn & So Carolina Press Conferences

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have the solution for Dawn. She needs to emulate this guy:

imrs.php

Reaction Score
I really dislike having to play the same team more than once in a season. The familiarity is always an advantage for the opponent.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Aside from a UConn win, the way Z plays may be the most important thing to come out of Monday night, assuming an eventual game against MissState. Andy Landers--I actually think he's pretty good and turn on the sound at half time to listen to him--said it best: Z isn't the type of big who can challenge a wider body big. It's especially unfair, in this first year of Z's conversion from wing to post, to expect her to be effective against the best post in the country. I think what's fair is to see her helping Gabby and Pheesa, and, most importantly, making A'ja play more minutes, so that, if Z is in, then A'ja has to be in, too. For a finesse team like UConn, it's a question of attrition against a team with a true big post. Wear the post down....and out....
I agree and that is why I think Z's fouling and non scoring in the February game cannot be repeated. She has to be a factor on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
In the game vs Buffalo, the Refs actually called some fouls on Aja for throwing elbows around, knocking a Bull to the floor and so on. IF they continue to call the game that way... i.e., the Same for Everyone, regardless of your name, then Aja could have some issues with Foul Trouble. I'm not saying UConn needs that to win the game...I feel confident they will put the blanket over her similar to how they did in February, but a game called equally will be interesting.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In the game vs Buffalo, the Refs actually called some fouls on Aja for throwing elbows around, knocking a Bull to the floor and so on. IF they continue to call the game that way... i.e., the Same for Everyone, regardless of your name, then Aja could have some issues with Foul Trouble. I'm not saying UConn needs that to win the game...I feel confident they will put the blanket over her similar to how they did in February, but a game called equally will be interesting.
I am hoping that Geno and his kids took note of how everyone was asking them about A'ja and referring to her as the "Best Player in the Country" at every opportunity. I hope this will help give them a little more motivation (not that it is really required) to outplay her and her teammates again.

Oh...I think A'ja got away with many more fouls than she was called for, which seems to be the norm for her and SC.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Geno and his kids took note of how everyone was asking them about A'ja and referring to her as the "Best Player in the Country" at every opportunity. I hope this will help give them a little more motivation (not that it is really required) to outplay her and her teammates again.

Oh...I think A'ja got away with many more fouls than she was called for, which seems to be the norm for her and SC.
She always gets away with fouls... but in the 2nd half vs Buffalo they started calling them. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't review some of the high elbows... But, they were starting to call them. Will the Team of Refs call them on Monday??? AND... I love the look on Aja's face when she gets called for a foul... the "who me??" kind of look...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lou looks like she just woke up or something.

She probably did. Those girls like to sleep. It's a good bet they had to wind down after the game yesterday morning. Sometimes that can take hours. They probably didn't get to sleep until the wee hours in the morning, unwinding, laughing, talking and enjoying the experience and each other's company.

The tournament begins in earnest for them tomorrow. As Geno said in this morning's presser, only the good teams are left. A week ago, there were 64 teams in the starting gate. Now we're down to only seven. These last 3 games are going to be the hardest of the six. Did anyone notice that UConn raced out to a 7-0 lead and never looked back? Duke never led in that game. Let's hope the same thing happens tomorrow night. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Aside from a UConn win, the way Z plays may be the most important thing to come out of Monday night, assuming an eventual game against MissState. Andy Landers--I actually think he's pretty good and turn on the sound at half time to listen to him--said it best: Z isn't the type of big who can challenge a wider body big. It's especially unfair, in this first year of Z's conversion from wing to post, to expect her to be effective against the best post in the country. I think what's fair is to see her helping Gabby and Pheesa, and, most importantly, making A'ja play more minutes, so that, if Z is in, then A'ja has to be in, too. For a finesse team like UConn, it's a question of attrition against a team with a true big post. Wear the post down....and out....

Agreed on your Landers (I like him) take and on Gabby playing Wilson. She has more experience against Wilson than Stevens does. Gabby said that she is quicker than Wilson and knows how to play her. If they can limit Wilson's effectiveness (production), they can beat SC. No reason for UConn to be nervous. They know how to beat SC. SC has cause to worried. In her four years at SC, Wilson has never beaten UConn. In her freshman year, Stevie took her to school. I think Wilson plays her last game for SC tomorrow night. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Dawn: short hand paraphrase: Crystal is better than what you see because she's under Geno's spell, but she'll be better off for it in the long run in terms of longevity at the next level. Translation: " If you'd come to me I would have let you run free! " Yup, we see how that's worked with your red shirt senior from the Bronx.

Can Dawn not make a comment without you or someone else twisting it to a negative. Sounds like she gave a compliment.

Carnac

Reaction Score
How about this lead-in:

Q. A'Ja and Alexis, 12 national championships between these two programs. Does it feel kind of like a National Championship atmosphere? Does it feel like the premiere women's college basketball matchup to you guys?

Geno and I have combined for 11 national championships.

I'm not sure I follow the answer:

Q. Simple question but I don't know if it's a simple answer: How do you beat UCONN?

COACH DAWN STALEY: You've got to play the game. You've got to play the game. He's an amazing guy -- I've got to tell you this story because I was walking out after scouting UCONN yesterday, and I guess a UCONN fan, he started yelling at me, like, you know, you're -- Monday -- like giving me the thumb's up. I actually think it was a Gamecock fan and I turned around and almost give him thumb's up. So I don't know why this came to me, but this came to me.

I said, "On Monday night, you're going to believe there's a God," and that's what we're going to go with. That's what we're going to go with.

Staley knows she's in over her head. It's coach speak. She has to say positive things in public and to her team.
In her heart, she knows the real deal. She's never beaten Geno, and she's not going to tomorrow night!!!

Reaction Score
God took a minute off to make sure Kansas goes to the final 4 over Duke in OT. Special bonus. Grayson Allen last second buzzer beater in regulation spins around twice
before spinning out and then misses 2 3 pt shots in a row that ended an OT push :)
God always makes special appearances against Duke.

Reaction Score

Happy to see that I'm not the only one muting the bb announcers, bags.
As for the presser, I have not always been a fan of Dawn, mainly because she comes across as pretty grouchy. However, over time I've gotten to like her a lot. She says the appropriate things, and I generally agree with her. She's really honest, especially addressing the dilemma of UConn. She avoids boasting, she is modest, she is aspirational w/out being negative. I don't begrudge her her success.
As for God, this is His busy time of the year. I hope He's finding enough to focus on w/out caring who wins a women's basketball game.

Reaction Score
I am actually glad Aja got those fouls. May not sound good and probably not popular on this board, but too often she gets the Shaq treatment. people grab, slap and put to forearms in her back trying to dislodge her from the lane and nothing is called just because she is so big. One call she got is when the girl took two hands and just physically pushed her out of bounds. I believe if the refs are going to allow that you have to send a message and she did. She managed herself for the rest of the game but she was not going to be passive and I like that. "She will have to be smart, but other than the Mizz debacle earlier, and she has not fouled out of another game this year, or any game last year. My peace stated. Have at it with your criticisms. lol

Reaction Score
Happy to see that I'm not the only one muting the bb announcers, bags.
As for the presser, I have not always been a fan of Dawn, mainly because she comes across as pretty grouchy. However, over time I've gotten to like her a lot. She says the appropriate things, and I generally agree with her. She's really honest, especially addressing the dilemma of UConn. She avoids boasting, she is modest, she is aspirational w/out being negative. I don't begrudge her her success.
As for God, this is His busy time of the year. I hope He's finding enough to focus on w/out caring who wins a women's basketball game.
It is seeming to work for Loyola-Chicago with Sister Jean. We will take any type of inspiration we can. UConn is a goliath, and we must focus on trying to be Sampson.

Reaction Score
I am actually glad Aja got those fouls. May not sound good and probably not popular on this board, but too often she gets the Shaq treatment. people grab, slap and put to forearms in her back trying to dislodge her from the lane and nothing is called just because she is so big. One call she got is when the girl took two hands and just physically pushed her out of bounds. I believe if the refs are going to allow that you have to send a message and she did. She managed herself for the rest of the game but she was not going to be passive and I like that. "She will have to be smart, but other than the Mizz debacle earlier, and she has not fouled out of another game this year, or any game last year. My peace stated. Have at it with your criticisms. lol
I'm fine with that, but I think the refs call too many anticipation fouls that benefit her.

Reaction Score
Can Dawn not make a comment without you or someone else twisting it to a negative. Sounds like she gave a compliment.
You obviously don't understand a compliment. Also that senior from the Bronx was on the Nancy Lieberman watch for one of the best point guards in the country before her season ending knee injury. She also started on the winning team in the National Title game last year. Oh and she also stopped Morgan Williams in two championship games as a dogged defender that stifled her game. Translation, no matter what you think, Dawn has done well with developing her over four years in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Staley knows she's in over her head. It's coach speak. She has to say positive things in public and to her team.
In her heart, she knows the real deal. She's never beaten Geno, and she's not going to tomorrow night!!!
Something wrong with your translation. Question was asked to Aja on your transcription, but you then say Dawn gave the answer, which is not what happened. I watched the press conference. I bet after Miss. ST. was beat by 60, you never thought they would win. Dawn will keep taking her shots, and she will break through some time in the future. Maybe tonight. Tenn fans used to say the same thing. Who knows what the future will bring. ha,ha,ha

Reaction Score
I'm fine with that, but I think the refs call too many anticipation fouls that benefit her.
Every fan base could say that. Some columnist feel UConn and Notre Dame get the Duke men's basketball treatment by refs, so we all are subjective in how we look at fouls called. I mean, some of the stuff that was done to the Gulich girl from Oregon State the other night is what we have experienced with Aja and Alaina for years. The attitidue of " Well they are so big, they can take all those extra hits and pushing" regardless of what the rules say.

Reaction Score
Agreed on your Landers (I like him) take and on Gabby playing Wilson. She has more experience against Wilson than Stevens does. Gabby said that she is quicker than Wilson and knows how to play her. If they can limit Wilson's effectiveness (production), they can beat SC. No reason for UConn to be nervous. They know how to beat SC. SC has cause to worried. In her four years at SC, Wilson has never beaten UConn. In her freshman year, Stevie took her to school. I think Wilson plays her last game for SC tomorrow night. :cool:
In my opinion, A'ja's performances against UConn have been stifled by lackluster play of her supporting cast. If they play as confidently as they did in the SEC tournament, it will allow Aja to play to her strength and this game will then get interesting. As Geno stated, they have been able to double Aja, to slow her down. It will be up to the play of the supporting cast, because she does not have the ball in her hand. Win or loss, I am looking forward to this game.

Reaction Score
It is seeming to work for Loyola-Chicago with Sister Jean. We will take any type of inspiration we can. UConn is a goliath, and we must focus on trying to be Sampson.

Would you rather be Sampson or perhaps David tonight?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I would have liked it if he would have said, "Well, so far, so good" and quoted some of A'ja's stats against us the last 4 times she's played UConn.

I dunno about that. Why give SC some bulletin board fodder to get them fired up? Better just prove ourselves as better through our gameplay...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom