Pre tip off sportsmanship | The Boneyard

Pre tip off sportsmanship

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am watching previous season games and am wondering about this. In the National semi-final against Notre Dame in the 2012-2013 season, all the players shook hands with each other before the tip-off. I am now watching the 2014 National Championship game and not a handshake was seen. Was this intentional or is this something that no longer occurred for any games? I don't think I have seen any pre tip-off handshakes between teams in quite some time and was just curious to know if this was a planned change.

I guess I need to look at other games during these two seasons to see if any handshakes were made if the team that UConn was playing was not Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
They still do it. I'm pretty sure they did against Syracuse in the 2016 final.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The NCAA has from time to time been tinkering with the player introduction format for many years. It’s part of their goal to enhance sportsmanship. It’s also an example of administrative micro-management.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The NCAA has from time to time been tinkering with the player introduction format for many years. It’s part of their goal to enhance sportsmanship. It’s also an example of administrative micro-management.
I am not talking about when the players shake hands during player introductions. I am wondering about when the game is actually ready to be tipped off and all 10 players are on the court at the same time. They used to always go around and shake each opposing player's hand. This did not occur in the 2014 National Championship Game but did in the previous season's National Semi-final game.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
They still do it. I'm pretty sure they did against Syracuse in the 2016 final.
You are probably right. I think it may also be that the TV cameras don't actually focus on the players until right before the tip off and therefore choose not to show the handshakes.

Reaction Score
I am watching previous season games and am wondering about this. In the National semi-final against Notre Dame in the 2012-2013 season, all the players shook hands with each other before the tip-off. I am now watching the 2014 National Championship game and not a handshake was seen. Was this intentional or is this something that no longer occurred for any games? I don't think I have seen any pre tip-off handshakes between teams in quite some time and was just curious to know if this was a planned change.

I guess I need to look at other games during these two seasons to see if any handshakes were made if the team that UConn was playing was not Notre Dame.
I was at the Uconn/Stanford game on Sunday and they shook hands before the game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I am not talking about when the players shake hands during player introductions. I am wondering about when the game is actually ready to be tipped off and all 10 players are on the court at the same time. They used to always go around and shake each opposing player's hand. This did not occur in the 2014 National Championship Game but did in the previous season's National Semi-final game.

Sorry. I misunderstood your post.

Reaction Score
The 2014 NC game had a lot of bad blood between the teams. Muffet saying Uconn avoided scheduling them that year. Stewie winning POY only Nieles Ivey only one from ND who applauded. MM thought Mcbride should have one. MM saying when Pat Summit stepped down the game lost class at the top of the game ( Geno ). IMO, with this last one ND being undefeated but still ranked behind Uconn at NO.2 really bothered Muffet and her team!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
What I think happens now is they stand facing each other for the anthem, at opposite foul lines. Then approach around mid court and shake hands. No hand shaking at tipoff. Then lineup and shake hands down the line after the game.

Not sure when they stopped shaking hands at tipoff.

Way back when it was customary to shake hands with the opponent closest to you for the opening tipoff but nothing else either before or even after. The post game handshake line seems like it has been around forever. I don't recall when it became customary, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom