Pre Season Transfer? | The Boneyard

Pre Season Transfer?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does unconditional rerelease mean that she does not have to sit a year?
If those that would be different than EDD.
Usually you only see this if there is a unexpected coaching change like what happened at Delaware last year. Kate Cain was able transfer from Delaware to Nebraska and play right away.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does unconditional rerelease mean that she does not have to sit a year?
If those that would be different than EDD.
Usually you only see this if there is a unexpected coaching change like what happened at Delaware last year. Kate Cain was able transfer from Delaware to Nebraska and play right away.
I don't know if EDD had to sit. She was burned out on basketball.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Didn't somebody do this last year? Seems like she went on an overseas trip with the team and then quit.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Didn't somebody do this last year? Seems like she went on an overseas trip with the team and then quit.

Perhaps the girl who signed with South Carolina.... Then transferred to Missouri?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think EDD and the girl at South Carolina had actually attended at least the first day of summer classes. So, that makes it different than a player who has signed with a school but never attended classes there.

But, yes, "unconditional" means no restrictions to the schools to which she can transfer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe unconditional means she can sign anywhere. Sometimes a school will block another school.
Does it also mean immediate eligibility to play?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know if EDD had to sit. She was burned out on basketball.

To bring anyone up to date who may not know/remember EDD's brief history at UConn: Following an outstanding prep career during which she became the most highly touted women's basketball recruit since Candace Parker, Delle Donne received a basketball scholarship from the University of Connecticut. However, in early June 2008, Delle Donne abruptly dropped out of Connecticut's summer school program after just two days in Storrs. Delle Donne was very close to her family, especially her older sister, Lizzie, who has cerebral palsy and is blind and deaf. She was not ready to be separated from her family.[8] Gene, Elena's brother and the middle child of the Delle Donne family, would say in a 2012 ESPN story on his younger sister:

Her relationship with Lizzie is huge. It's so close. It's a big reason why she is such a homebody who came home from UConn, because she craves to be around Lizzie and to experience Lizzie grabbing her and sniffing her and just spend quality time with her.

A week after leaving Connecticut, Delle Donne said by telephone from her home in Wilmington that she has "a lot of personal issues to fix. Only my family understands what's going on. Right now I am going to take a long personal break. She took a similar break prior to the 2007–08 season in high school.

On August 16, 2008, Delle Donne announced she would not accept the scholarship due to burnout (later she admitted it was not burnout but home sickness), and instead decided to enroll at the University of Delaware and join their volleyball team as a walk-on. Delle Donne did not continue on the volleyball team in 2009, but joined the basketball team. On June 2, 2009, Delle Donne announced that she would play basketball for the Blue Hens in the 2009/2010 season as a redshirt freshman.

Reaction Score
To bring anyone up to date who may not know/remember EDD's brief history at UConn: Following an outstanding prep career during which she became the most highly touted women's basketball recruit since Candace Parker, Delle Donne received a basketball scholarship from the University of Connecticut. However, in early June 2008, Delle Donne abruptly dropped out of Connecticut's summer school program after just two days in Storrs. Delle Donne was very close to her family, especially her older sister, Lizzie, who has cerebral palsy and is blind and deaf. She was not ready to be separated from her family.[8] Gene, Elena's brother and the middle child of the Delle Donne family, would say in a 2012 ESPN story on his younger sister:

Her relationship with Lizzie is huge. It's so close. It's a big reason why she is such a homebody who came home from UConn, because she craves to be around Lizzie and to experience Lizzie grabbing her and sniffing her and just spend quality time with her.

A week after leaving Connecticut, Delle Donne said by telephone from her home in Wilmington that she has "a lot of personal issues to fix. Only my family understands what's going on. Right now I am going to take a long personal break. She took a similar break prior to the 2007–08 season in high school.

On August 16, 2008, Delle Donne announced she would not accept the scholarship due to burnout (later she admitted it was not burnout but home sickness), and instead decided to enroll at the University of Delaware and join their volleyball team as a walk-on. Delle Donne did not continue on the volleyball team in 2009, but joined the basketball team. On June 2, 2009, Delle Donne announced that she would play basketball for the Blue Hens in the 2009/2010 season as a redshirt freshman.
While I nearly cried at EDD's transfer, my twins were at U Delaware then and I got to see her play numerous times. Have been surprised how well she has done in pros since she basically went several years with no one in her league able to compete with her. Total domination.

Reaction Score

I often wonder if EDD's realization that she was a lesbian, and the fear that causes, was also a tipping point to her leaving UCONN. You will do anything to run away from admitting that you're gay, including wanting to be the furthest place from where you feel most vulnerable. This is obviously pure speculation on my part, but I don't think it's irresponsible to say considering that EDD is and out and proud member of the LGBTQ community.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I often wonder if EDD's realization that she was a lesbian, and the fear that causes, was also a tipping point to her leaving UCONN. You will do anything to run away from admitting that you're gay. This is obviously pure speculation on my part, but I don't think it's irresponsible to say considering that EDD is and out and proud member of the LGBTQ community.
Really.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To repeat, no one knows why EDD left.
The story about her sister came out later.

No one knows why she left? I disagree. Let me say this at the outset, I really don't care that she left, or why she left. I was not a UConn fan at the time. To me, this is water under the bridge. I'm simply responding to your comment.

She
knows why she left
, and her family knows why she left. She has said many times verbally in media interviews and in her book why she left. Here are a few quotes from her, family members and references by the media:

• I knew I wasn’t fully committed. It reminded me of my one day at UConn, when the Huskies captain had told us to play with passion, and I realized I’d had none of it.
  • After two days of classes last June, though, Delle Donne acknowledged what few athletes of her visibility have ever acknowledged publicly — she was burned out on basketball at 18. Her parents also wondered if she was homesick.
  • We have a 17 year old who came to UCONN to win championships and shortly after arriving realized that her sister and family were more important to her then basketball and championships.
  • Whatever she felt at the time it tore at her and she went home. That's enough to know. Homesickness, her sister, burnout, it doesn't matter. She reacted to her gut and she decided that UCONN was not for her.
  • There was NO single reason why EDD bolted, though it became apparent much later that she was running away from basketball as much as running home.
  • She enrolled at UConn in June, but several days later, returned home to suburban Wilmington, crying, telling her parents, “I can’t do this.” She was confused, distraught. Everyone at UConn had treated her well, but she had seen the level of commitment required to play basketball and had realized she did not possess the necessary dedication.
  • “It was tough and I was scared, but I had to do it,” Delle Donne said of giving up basketball. “I couldn't keep lying to myself. That was the main thing; I was sick of being unhappy.”
  • Her relationship with Lizzie is huge. It's so close. It's a big reason why she came home from from UConn, because she craves to be around Lizzie and to experience Lizzie grabbing her and sniffing her and just spend quality time with her. A week after leaving Connecticut, Delle Donne said by telephone from her home in Wilmington that she has "a lot of personal issues to fix. Only my family understands what's going on. Right now I am going to take a long personal break."
  • "Both UConn and I require a 100-percent dedication to the sport, and as of now I feel I cannot give that level of commitment," she said in the release. "It therefore would be unfair to the excellent program, Coach Geno Auriemma, the team, and UConn fans for me to play." "I have a lot of personal issues to fix," Delle Donne said at the time.
Elena Delle Donne sits down for an interview with Mark Schwarz on "Outside the Lines." -
Delle Donne was a Connecticut Husky for all of 48 hours. She says it took her only that long to realize she lacked the passion to play the sport at the highest level. She says she could no longer pretend. Delle Donne does not expect Auriemma to understand. She wasn't sure anyone would. Perhaps that's why it took her so long, about five years, to come clean. "You can't understand it unless you're in my shoes," Delle Donne says. "And that's the thing: You don't understand burnout unless you've been burned out. And it's something you can't even explain. It's just doing something you have absolutely no passion for."

vowelguy, if YOU have inside information that contradicts all of the above, I'd like for you to enlighten us. When someone says something, how can you dispute it. You're getting it first hand, not second or third hand. "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my (her) mouth?" ~ Chris Tucker - Rush hour.

FACT - She left UConn!! She had reasons for doing so. She has stated many times why she left in several media interviews. How can YOU dispute the words that came out of HER mouth? Nothing I've included in this narrative is MY opinion or recollection. I'm merely a conduit. It's excerpts I've pulled from various on-line media sources. So, to refute these statements, you're not challenging me, you're challenging Elena and the veracity and authenticity of these sources.

Until we hear or read otherwise, we have to go with the reason(s) she's given us. To say: "To repeat, no one knows why EDD left", suggests you have a different viewpoint (knowledge or information). I realize that it's quite possible you do. If you do, please share it with the rest of us. I'm sure we'd all like to know, so we can put this matter to bed once and for all (where it belongs), because your statement contradicts everything stated above. The floor is yours....................................

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I often wonder if EDD's realization that she was a lesbian, and the fear that causes, was also a tipping point to her leaving UCONN. You will do anything to run away from admitting that you're gay, including wanting to be the furthest place from where you feel most vulnerable. This is obviously pure speculation on my part, but I don't think it's irresponsible to say considering that EDD is and out and proud member of the LGBTQ community.

Just not sure why that would be a reason to leave UConn.....

Reaction Score
Until we hear or read otherwise, we have to go with the reason(s) she's given us. To say: "To repeat, no one knows why EDD left", suggests you have a different viewpoint (knowledge or information), if you do, please share it with us, and we can put this matter to bed once and for all (where it belongs), because your statement contradicts everything stated above. The floor is yours....

Nope. You are inferring something that's not there. I don't know why she left. But it has long been commonplace on this board to say it was solely because of her sister. (And by extension, EDD's transfer was somehow more noble than any other transfer.) Given that that story was _not_ mentioned in the immediate aftermath, I highly doubt it was the main reason. I suspect she wasnt ready or was scared or it wasn't the right fit. I dunno. You don't either.

And no I don't put a ton of stock in what she, or any other player or coach, says. People don't tell the truth all the time. It's not a crime -- it's the hallmark of a polite society in many cases.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom