Pre-Season Prediction Thread | The Boneyard

Pre-Season Prediction Thread

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Now that the full schedule is out...

I got 22-9

Reaction Score
Posted this in another thread, and re-posting here. I am pretty bullish on this year's team.

Based on what we know as of today (which to be honest is not too much) I think the season goes as follows:
1. Morehead St ---- W
2. UMKC --- W
3. Syracuse --- W (this one will be close, but having attended many games at the garden, UConn fans are a big factor)
4. Oregon --- L (Oregon will likely beat Iowa)
5. Cornell --- W
6. New Hampshire --- W
7. Umass-Lowell --- W
8. Arizona --- W (this is likely a down season for Arizona; lost a lot of talent and '18 class not like previous classes)
9. Lafayette --- W
10. Florida St. --- L (this should be a close game though)
11. Manhattan --- W
12. Drexel --- W
13. Villanova --- L
14. @USF --- W
15. UCF --- W
16. SMU --- W
17. @Cincy --- L
18. @ Tulsa --- W
19. Tulane --- W
20. Wichita St. --- W
21. @UCF --- L
22. ECU --- W
23. @Temple --- W
24. @Memphis --- W
25. Houston --- W
26. @SMU --- W
27. Cincy --- W
28. @Wichita St. --- L
29. USF --- W
30. Temple --- W
31. @ECU --- W

Reg Season record: 25-6. We won't have too many impressive wins, but we will rack up many road wins, and will have a good wining percentage. This should get us into the tournament, but as a low seed. Much of the strength of our wins will depend on how well the other AAC teams fare in OOC games.

This is pretty early, but we know what Jalen is capable of, we know the potential of a healthy Alterique, we witnessed Carlton's growth and potential last year. If other teammates step up and with Hurley's guidance, 25-6 is very doable.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I'm usually at the high-end of optimistic when it comes to us, so give me 24-7, finishing 2nd in the AAC reg. season and winning the AAC tourney (I don't think UCF can stay healthy/consistent).

We have the best guard and, possibly, the best player in the conference in Jalen. I fully expect to see him go to another level with Hurley.

Alterique is the game changer. As we said last year, having him to pick up the primary ball-handling duties and his ability to get to the rim will do nothing but benefit Jalen and make him more dangerous. If his shooting has come along as much as has been rumored...look out.

CV harnesses some of his wild streaks and becomes a more consistent volume scorer...Carlton takes a step forward and gives us 10 and 10 more often than not...Polley is the first guy off the bench most nights and gives us a 3-point threat....Sid flashes his upside by being the player we hoped Larrier would be and uses his length to be a pain for the opposition in Dan's pressure defense...Cobb/Yakwe/Diarra/Whaley form a decent enough rotation at the 4/5 spots....B. Adams eventually grows into a solid 3rd guard and his height/physicality is a welcome addition....Smith's ability to get in the lane/to the line is pivotal in the 2nd half over the course of the year....KW finally gets the breakaway dunk that we've been waiting for

I'm ready for this season to start. Even if we fall a bit short of these expectations, I truly believe that we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and will look back fondly on this team as the first step in getting back to prominence.

Reaction Score
Posted this in another thread, and re-posting here. I am pretty bullish on this year's team.

Based on what we know as of today (which to be honest is not too much) I think the season goes as follows:
1. Morehead St ---- W
2. UMKC --- W
3. Syracuse --- W (this one will be close, but having attended many games at the garden, UConn fans are a big factor)
4. Oregon --- L (Oregon will likely beat Iowa)
5. Cornell --- W
6. New Hampshire --- W
7. Umass-Lowell --- W
8. Arizona --- W (this is likely a down season for Arizona; lost a lot of talent and '18 class not like previous classes)
9. Lafayette --- W
10. Florida St. --- L (this should be a close game though)
11. Manhattan --- W
12. Drexel --- W
13. Villanova --- L
14. @USF --- W
15. UCF --- W
16. SMU --- W
17. @Cincy --- L
18. @ Tulsa --- W
19. Tulane --- W
20. Wichita St. --- W
21. @UCF --- L
22. ECU --- W
23. @Temple --- W
24. @Memphis --- W
25. Houston --- W
26. @SMU --- W
27. Cincy --- W
28. @Wichita St. --- L
29. USF --- W
30. Temple --- W
31. @ECU --- W

Reg Season record: 25-6. We won't have too many impressive wins, but we will rack up many road wins, and will have a good wining percentage. This should get us into the tournament, but as a low seed. Much of the strength of our wins will depend on how well the other AAC teams fare in OOC games.

This is pretty early, but we know what Jalen is capable of, we know the potential of a healthy Alterique, we witnessed Carlton's growth and potential last year. If other teammates step up and with Hurley's guidance, 25-6 is very doable.
UCF is supposed to be good this year. You also gotta factor in a silly loss to a team like Tulsa lmao. 25-6 seems a little overly optimistic but I don’t see a lot of unwinnable games

Reaction Score
I am going to be conservative after the last two years year.

1. Morehead St ---- W
2. UMKC --- W
3. Syracuse --- CLOSE L
4. Oregon --- L -- IF it is Iowa, close loss
5. Cornell --- W
6. New Hampshire --- W
7. Umass-Lowell --- W
8. Arizona --- CLOSE L
9. Lafayette --- W
10. Florida St. --- L
11. Manhattan --- W
12. Drexel --- W
13. Villanova --- L
14. @USF --- W
15. UCF --- W
16. SMU --- W
17. @Cincy --- L
18. @ Tulsa --- W
19. Tulane --- W
20. Wichita St. --- L
21. @UCF --- L
22. ECU --- W
23. @Temple --- W
24. @Memphis --- L
25. Houston --- W
26. @SMU --- L (Uconn always seems to lose here)
27. Cincy --- L
28. @Wichita St. -- L
29. USF --- W
30. Temple --- W
31. @ECU --- W

Uconn makes a run to the finals to face Cincy and finally wins in their 3rd match up of the season. 22-12 or 21-13 type of season. I can not picture anything worse than 19-15 but just the same I think 24-10 is likely the best they can do but I am 100 percent open to being surprised.

Reaction Score
At least 20 wins, probably solidly on the bubble. Probably split the Cuse/Iowa/Oregon matchups, lose to Nova, lose to FSU, think we'll beat Arizona. Split with Cincy, split with Wichita, split with UCF, lose to Memphis, split with SMU, lose to Houston. Could definitely see us splitting with Temple as well but I won't include that. That puts us at 23-8. Probably blow one somewhere to end at 22-9 and either just sneak into the tournament or a high NIT seed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd say what I have said since we hired Hurley, 23-24 wins regular season, plus we get to the final of the AAC tournament. Should be a 6-7 seed. Not going to pick and choose game to game, because I expect surprises to the upside and downside, as always.

Zero losses by 20 points or more, few in double digits, if any. We are not going to be an easy team to play.

Reaction Score
25-6. We have good personel who have underachieved due to horrible coaching. With Hurley at the helm, healthy AG, Adams not having to carry the team and play the whole game, an improved well coached Cobb, Carlton, Polley and Whalley with a year under their belts, Sid Wilson and the two pretty decent grad transfers, 25 wins and 6 losses , top 25, tournament bound team.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I'd say what I have said since we hired Hurley, 23-24 wins regular season, plus we get to the final of the AAC tournament. Should be a 6-7 seed. Not going to pick and choose game to game, because I expect surprises to the upside and downside, as always.

Zero losses by 20 points or more, few in double digits, if any. We are not going to be an easy team to play.

Going with 23-8

Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert is healthy. It's really as simple as that.

If he is in and out of the lineup, then I think you can start thinking about alternative outcomes but, as long as he is healthy, I don't see any reason why this isn't a tournament team.

I agree. There are a lot variables when it comes to how well this year's team can play, but the biggest factor will be a healthy Alterique.

Reaction Score
Surprised by the optimism on this thread. This is essentially the same team from last season and a lot of people on here were in agreement about the lack of talent on the roster. I'll say 19-12.

We don't really have reliable scoring outside of Adams. Gilbert's health is a major question mark. Wilson could step up but we don't really know anything about his scoring ability.

I hope Vital gets relegated back to a 20-minutes per game player off the bench or greatly improves his shot-selection.

Reaction Score
Sweet 16. Go big or go home. My goal for the season, could definitely happen.

This team, with its focus on effort, grit, competitiveness, and toughness will be a very good defensive team. We are not small, Hurley will use a deep bench, and there will be a focus on defensive team rebounding and rebounding in general. Securing the ball, and all the good things that happen when you do i.e. less opponent shot attempts, possessions, etc. will pay dividends.

Top three AAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert is healthy. It's really as simple as that.

If he is in and out of the lineup, then I think you can start thinking about alternative outcomes but, as long as he is healthy, I don't see any reason why this isn't a tournament team.
I think if we get dependable outside shooting from more than one player we'll be in good shape. If CV, Jalen, Alterique if healthy, other Adams, Polley and Sid can give us a threat from deep it'll be a game changer

Reaction Score

I agree, this is a team that will not be overwhelmed by anyone. Lots of close games. 22-9 regular season, runners up in the conference, on the inside of the bubble on Selection Sunday, and we beat a 5-6 seed in the tourney.

Reaction Score
21-10 in the regular season

W
- Morehead State
W - UMKC
L - Syracuse
W - Iowa
W - Cornell
W - New Hampshire
W - UMass-Lowell
W - Arizona
W - Lafayette
L - Florida State
W - Manhattan
W - Drexel
L - Villanova
W - @ USF
W - UCF
W - SMU
L - @ Cincy
L - @ Tulsa
W - Tulane
W - Wichita St.
L - @ UCF
W - ECU
W - @ Temple
L - @ Memphis
W - Houston
L - @ SMU
L - Cincy
L - @ Wichita State
W - USF
W - Temple
W - @ ECU

Reaction Score
1. Morehead St ---- W
2. UMKC --- W
3. Syracuse --- L
4. Iowa --- W
5. Cornell --- W
6. New Hampshire --- W
7. Umass-Lowell --- W
8. Arizona --- L
9. Lafayette --- W
10. Florida St. --- W
11. Manhattan --- W
12. Drexel --- W
13. Villanova --- L
14. @USF --- W
15. UCF --- W
16. SMU --- W
17. @Cincy --- L
18. @ Tulsa --- L
19. Tulane --- W
20. Wichita St. --- W
21. @UCF --- L
22. ECU --- W
23. @Temple --- L
24. @Memphis --- W
25. Houston --- W
26. @SMU --- L
27. Cincy --- W
28. @Wichita St. --- L
29. USF --- W
30. Temple --- W
31. @ECU --- W

I have us at 22-9. I think we can finish top 5 AAC.

Reaction Score
Best Syracuse and everything else is gravy.

But actually;

Just based on past performance, I’m going to go more conservative than others and say 20-11.

Some sure wins, and only one sure loss (@Tulsa, obviously).

Win the AAC tournament, and we start re-Storrs-ing the brand

Reaction Score
Here me out, WE WILL BEAT TULSA, AT TULSA BABY!
Best Syracuse and everything else is gravy.

But actually;

Just based on past performance, I’m going to go more conservative than others and say 20-11.

Some sure wins, and only one sure loss (@Tulsa, obviously).

Win the AAC tournament, and we start re-Storrs-ing the brand

Nope, sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom