Pre-season idea for college basketball | The Boneyard

Pre-season idea for college basketball

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I would change nothing about college basketball bar maybe go back to 64 teams in the tournament. However, I have thought up of a pre-season tournament (true pre-season tournament-doesn't count against W/L record) that would take place in September and October to be modeled after the Brazilian soccer format.

In Brazil, they have a national league that runs from May to December. No different than any other country. However, they also have state leagues in the spring that are completely separate from the national league. They serve as an appetizer to the national league.

Here are the regional tournaments I propose:

14 regional leagues including all 362 Division 1 teams
Six game regular season based on Swiss format (three home and three away games)
4 round knock-out tournament (at neutral site) with 12-16 teams depending on number of teams in region
Four week season (three regular season, one tournament)
The winners would not face off in a national tournament (we already have that)
Would be a purely preseason tournament

Regions:
New England (23): CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME
New York (22): NY
Mid-Atlantic (24): NJ, PA, DE
Tidewater (29): DC, WV, VA, MD
Carolina (31): NC, SC
Southeast (29): FL, GA, AL
Texas (25): TX
Bayou (23): LA, MS, AR
Bluegrass (21): KY, TN
Great Lakes (31): IN, OH, MI
Midwest (29): IL, WI, MN, IA, MO
Plains (20): ND, SD, WY, NE, KS, CO, OK
West (30): MT, ID, OR, WA, HI, AZ, NM, UT, NV
California (27): CA

Prospective schedule for UConn
1) Maine (A)
2) UMass-Lowell (H)
3) Yale (H)
4) Providence (A)
5) UVM (A)
6) Merrimack (H)

Potential knockout opponents
QF: Harvard
SF: UMass
F: Providence

Reaction Score
stephen a smith weed GIF

shizzle787

Reaction Score
One edit: I would get rid of the regular season aspect. I would make it a straight knockout tournament. One round per week played on either Tuesday or Wednesday nights so it doesn't conflict with the NFL or college football. Seeded based on the previous years final NET ranking.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Cool idea but seems logistically impossible to pull off including every D1 team.

Ideally, it would just be awesome if the NCAA let D1 teams schedule preseason games against each other, like we had with PC for Hurricane relief in 2016/17.

Currently a lot of teams do “secret scrimmages”. Let’s not make those a secret, put fans in the stands and stream them online for fans to watch.

Having the ability to play a few legit D1 opponents “risk free” (in regards to counting towards postseason) is a great way for coaches to see how prepared the team is for the coming season. Also a good way to start generating buzz for the upcoming season.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Cool idea but seems logistically impossible to pull off including every D1 team.

Ideally, it would just be awesome if the NCAA let D1 teams schedule preseason games against each other, like we had with PC for Hurricane relief in 2016/17.

Currently a lot of teams do “secret scrimmages”. Let’s not make those a secret, put fans in the stands and stream them online for fans to watch.

Having the ability to play a few legit D1 opponents “risk free” (in regards to counting towards postseason) is a great way for coaches to see how prepared the team is for the coming season. Also a good way to start generating buzz for the upcoming season.
I would set it up so that the higher seeded team is home. The big boys aren’t going to visit the little guys. It’s a max of five games per school. If the NCAA allowed it, I think it would be doable.

Also, it would be in October so it wouldn’t conflict with regular season baseball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with do away with the regular season. Let’s face it. Nobody cares about the regular season. In the era of the NCAA tournament, it has become superfluous for multi-bid leagues. Just go with a tournament including all teams ranked by computer 1-324 or whatever. Double elimination Until the field gets to 16. Imagine the stress if you lose one of those first round games in an upset. Your season might be 2 games it might be 3. Imagine if the Cameron became a large place to hang laundry because Duke ended its season in October.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom