Pre season Expectations | The Boneyard

Pre season Expectations

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Compare your feeling this year to our roster makeup for next year. Which team appeared stronger pre-injuries? Is there hope?

Reaction Score
No idea, not crazy excited, but they could surprise maybe

JA/MAL/AG/TL should be solid+

CV solid backup, VJ too

SE improvements, no idea on Durham, he looks lost and terrible right now

Polley not even top 150, Carlton not top 225, don't expect anything there

Compare your feeling this year to our roster makeup for next year. Which team appeared stronger pre-injuries? Is there hope?

Reaction Score
I really hate to pile on Purvis because I think he'd be fine as a role player in the right situation (a poor man's version of the 2008-09 Dyson) ... but I'm excited to see what this crop of backcourt players can do without him taking up 30 minutes.

A healthy Adams-Gilbert combo should be reminiscent of those really good UConn backcourts - the speed, ball handling, and passing will instantly be the best it's been since the title team. And with his size, MAL gives you the ability to play 2-3 ballhandlers at all times. If you surround them with some capable shooters (hopefully that means Jackson and Larrier), then a handful of the offensive problems we're seeing should take care of themselves.

The frontcourt will be an adventure, but it could force everyone to have to play team defense rather than relying on Brimah all the time. I'll give the coaching staff one more pass this season, but they really need to meet (or exceed) expectations with next year's roster. It's time for Ollie to earn his money (again).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really hate to pile on Purvis because I think he'd be a solid role player in the right situation (a poor man's version of the 2008-09 Dyson) ... but I'm excited to see what this crop of backcourt players can do without him taking up 30 minutes.

A healthy Adams-Gilbert combo should be reminiscent of those really good UConn backcourts. The speed, ball handling, and passing will instantly be the best it's been since the title team. If you surround them with some capable shooters (hopefully that means Jackson and Larrier), then some of the offensive problems should take care of themselves.

The frontcourt will be an adventure, but it could force everyone to have to play team defense rather than relying on Brimah. I'll give the coaching staff one more pass, but they really need to meet (or exceed) expectations with next year's roster.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Jalen seems to excel with the ball. Hasn't proven he can be a strong 2 if AG has it in his hands often. See games 1 & 2. See the change in Maui. That worries me.

Reaction Score
Jalen seems to excel with the ball. Hasn't proven he can be a strong 2 if AG has it in his hands often. See games 1 & 2. See the change in Maui. That worries me.
Jalen's development is the only big bright spot this season, so this shouldn't worry you.

It took some time to sort out how to play Shabazz and Boatright effectively together, but they figured it out just fine. I suspect we'll see the same next year once Jalen and Gilbert get more playing time together.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Jalen's development is the only big bright spot this season, so this shouldn't worry you.

It took some time to sort out how to play Shabazz and Boatright effectively together, but they figured it out just fine. I suspect we'll see the same next year once Jalen and Gilbert get more playing time together.
Good point. Just need this shoulder situation 100%.

Reaction Score
Preseason expectations this year were ridiculous. You don't lose your 3 best players from the previous season and come back strong unless you recruit like UK or Duke. Even Sparty is taking it on the chin, and for largely the same reasons we are.

I've said it a million times, and I'll say it again: You don't start winning consistently, year after year, until you start putting together consistent, complete recruiting classes year after year.

For a variety of reasons our classes from 2012-15 were either patchwork or incomplete. That's caught up to us this season in a big way, and has been exacerbated by DHam's early entry and the biblical rash of injuries.

The good news is that Ollie has now put together two strong, complete recruiting classes in a row, and that for the first time in his tenure his best player (Adams) will return to the team. So next year there will be some sort of continuity, an alpha dog, a huge talent injection, and a dose of experience for a few crucial pieces in both the front court and back court.

The point of sanctions is to force a year or two like this on a program. It sucks, but this is very clearly going to get better in the long run.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I never in a million years expected the season to go this way. I expected the first great regular season since 2009. I'm shell-shocked.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No idea, not crazy excited, but they could surprise maybe

JA/MAL/AG/TL should be solid+

CV solid backup, VJ too

SE improvements, no idea on Durham, he looks lost and terrible right now

Polley not even top 150, Carlton not top 225, don't expect anything there

You really enjoy pulling recruiting rankings out of your bunghole, don't you?

Reaction Score
I think next year's team will be our best since the last title team. Not having Brimah and Purvis will be a huge part of that. JA has top 2 team AA potential next year, AG and TL both looked good in the very limited time they played, and everyone else are getting more run and being held to the fire much more than expected, which should help accelerate their development going forward.

Reaction Score
I think we'll obviously be better than this year but I don't think we'll be great at all. Larrier/Gilbert coming off injuries. Adams is good but could jump to the league. MAL is good but you never know what you get with freshman. Our front court is at a mid major level now - at best. We're bringing in two project bigs and we lose brimah's rim protection without replacing him with any offensive threat. Where are you guys finding the optimism?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
IDK, I'm optimistic, but I've been optimistic to begin most years (if not all) and I keep suffering a significant beat-down

I just don't know anymore. My visions of grandeur are diminishing, we're actually mortal and I don't know how to cope with it

Reaction Score
I think we'll obviously be better than this year but I don't think we'll be great at all. Larrier/Gilbert coming off injuries. Adams is good but could jump to the league. MAL is good but you never know what you get with freshman. Our front court is at a mid major level now - at best. We're bringing in two project bigs and we lose brimah's rim protection without replacing him with any offensive threat. Where are you guys finding the optimism?

Amida as a freshman, Niels and Deandre won a NC. Not exactly thinking they would hod up for the job did we? Alterique and Jalen will be formidable, would be now add MAL and a matured Vital the backcourt will be very good. Terry hopefully healthy as well as a matured Vance, working on his body and speed over the summer will be a nice duo for the 3-4 and who knows who else. We lose AB's rim protection but to me highly overrated as guys score in his face way too much, he's late on his coverage more than he actually blocks, to me no biggie a better rebounder does me just fine and if Durham, Carlton or Diarra as well as Steve are that then I'm good. Colley and Carlton seem to be in the rise so hopefully they can compete for minutes. This team will be better next year obviously but again health is the key. Scary with all these potentially hindering injuries to where they will be.

Reaction Score
Amida as a freshman, Niels and Deandre won a NC. Not exactly thinking they would hod up for the job did we? Alterique and Jalen will be formidable, would be now add MAL and a matured Vital the backcourt will be very good. Terry hopefully healthy as well as a matured Vance, working on his body and speed over the summer will be a nice duo for the 3-4 and who knows who else. We lose AB's rim protection but to me highly overrated as guys score in his face way too much, he's late on his coverage more than he actually blocks, to me no biggie a better rebounder does me just fine and if Durham, Carlton or Diarra as well as Steve are that then I'm good. Colley and Carlton seem to be in the rise so hopefully they can compete for minutes. This team will be better next year obviously but again health is the key. Scary with all these potentially hindering injuries to where they will be.
While I don't share your unique opinion on AB :), I think he's overrated, too, and won't be as tough to replace as UConn's other good shot blockers in the past. He never really developed as a player, particularly as a rebounder, and his tendency to go for blocks constantly left him out of position for boards (never mind constantly being in foul trouble, even as a senior...).

With that said, it's not 100% certain that UConn has the personnel to replace Brimah, even as limited as he is. Enoch is an enormous upgrade offensively but a liability on D. Durham has flashed his potential but has a long ways to go, and Diarra and the incoming freshmen have never played a second of college ball.

Like I said above, the frontcourt will be an adventure, at least in the early going. But maybe that means we'll finally get to see those positionless lineups we've been hearing about for so long.

Reaction Score
While I don't share your unique opinion on AB :), I think he's overrated, too, and won't be as tough to replace as UConn's other good shot blockers in the past. He never really developed as a player, particularly as a rebounder, and his tendency to go for blocks constantly left him out of position for boards (never mind constantly being in foul trouble, even as a senior...).

With that said, it's not 100% certain that UConn has the personnel to replace Brimah, even as limited as he is. Enoch is an enormous upgrade offensively but a liability on D. Durham has flashed his potential but has a long ways to go, and Diarra and the incoming freshmen have never played a second of college ball.

Like I said above, the frontcourt will be an adventure, at least in the early going. But maybe that means we'll finally get to see those positionless lineups we've been hearing about for so long.

Agree no guarantee but by no means will they be worst because of it. I mean how hard is it to replace 9 points 5 rebounds and 3 blocks in 2 games? The minutes were only 14 yesterday but that's on him, what good is he if continues to commit the most boneheaded fouls night in night out? Facey has been good though but came back to earth a bit yesterday, still rebounded though. One can play hope we get better, but just guard play alone as well as wing will be better, who knows how much though. One key may be an added body late from 5th year transfer or recruiting additions. We can only wait to see.

Reaction Score
Preseason expectations this year were ridiculous. You don't lose your 3 best players from the previous season and come back strong unless you recruit like UK or Duke. Even Sparty is taking it on the chin, and for largely the same reasons we are.

I've said it a million times, and I'll say it again: You don't start winning consistently, year after year, until you start putting together consistent, complete recruiting classes year after year.

For a variety of reasons our classes from 2012-15 were either patchwork or incomplete. That's caught up to us this season in a big way, and has been exacerbated by DHam's early entry and the biblical rash of injuries.

The good news is that Ollie has now put together two strong, complete recruiting classes in a row, and that for the first time in his tenure his best player (Adams) will return to the team. So next year there will be some sort of continuity, an alpha dog, a huge talent injection, and a dose of experience for a few crucial pieces in both the front court and back court.

The point of sanctions is to force a year or two like this on a program. It sucks, but this is very clearly going to get better in the long run.
Great post. In my head I've always thought the most realistic point where we can start to be really good again is when this this year's freshman class become upperclassmen, so I haven't had a great feeling about next year, but hopefully all the playing time these guys are getting will push the timetable forward a bit.

It's hard to know what next year will be with 3 guys coming off season long injuries, but I know it's going to be tough if we don't have some guys who can rebound and play post defense without fouling. I don't care if Enoch ever develops more offense, because we've already proven many times over we don't need post offense to be elite. He should shoot 0 shots this offseason, and spend 100% of his time on defense and rebounding.

I really wish we had never spent any time recruiting Richards and Bamba, and instead devoted all that time to the next tier of big men. I know that's not a realistic option because those guys are in our geographic area and it sends a terrible message if we don't recruit them, but there was just such a small chance we would get either of them. Even with Calhoun, we really never got big men on that level outside of special circumstances with guys like Drummond and Villaneuva.

Reaction Score
I really wish we had never spent any time recruiting Richards and Bamba, and instead devoted all that time to the next tier of big men.
I get what you're saying, and think we kind of did as much in targeting Carlton & Polley. Both guys do stuff - boxing out, passing, mid-range game - that screams "I've been playing this game my whole life and understand it," which is something none of Brimah, Facey or Enoch can claim.

What both guys lack is the kind of athleticism that makes them sure fire NBA prospects, which is why they're as low as they are. But that's more than ok since you're as likely to win a title with that kind of big (Villanova 2016, us 2014) as you are with the Jahlil Okafors of the world. You just have to be patient enough to get there over the course of 3 or 4 seasons, while making sure you land studs in the backcourt and shooters on the wings.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, and think we kind of did as much in targeting Carlton & Polley. Both guys do stuff - boxing out, passing, mid-range game - that screams "I've been playing this game my whole life and understand it," which is something none of Brimah, Facey or Enoch can claim.

What both guys lack is the kind of athleticism that makes them sure fire NBA prospects, which is why they're as low as they are. But that's more than ok since you're as likely to win a title with that kind of big (Villanova 2016, us 2014) as you are with the Jahlil Okafors of the world. You just have to be patient enough to get there over the course of 3 or 4 seasons, while making sure you land studs in the backcourt and shooters on the wings.

Enoch has been boxing out a lot more and it's noticeable. He's solid underneath as far as space and physicality but again, long way to go in many areas. Improvement is there though slowly. Still think he will be very serviceable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AB continues to hurt this team with ridiculous fouls
He knows we are down players and it is important for him to stay in the game as long as possible.
As a senior he should know by now how to play without committing senseless fouls but he continues to pick up the chippies - yeah some are questionable but a majority should be avoided.
If he could stay in a game I'm quite sure his production would increase and the team would benefit greatly
SE seems to have the same difficulty but his problem is he is very slow on his feet defensively and it appears that defense was not a priority in his game before attending UConn - I think he will improve. His overall game yesterday was very dissapointing

Reaction Score
Enoch has been boxing out a lot more and it's noticeable. He's solid underneath as far as space and physicality but again, long way to go in many areas. Improvement is there though slowly. Still think he will be very serviceable.
I agree 100%. But in a perfect world he'd have aced all this stuff by the time he was a junior in high school. Oh well!

And fwiw, one of the reasons I'm keeping my equanimity this year is because I think the minutes that Enoch gets (as well as Vital, Jackson & Durham) will pay off in a big way sooner rather than later. The game is the best teacher, and you could see his development on the court against Auburn in the first half.

If we get that guy for 2 years, it'll be a scholarship well spent.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think the bigs that KO brings in could easily replace ABs offensive game as well as his rebounding production. Rim protection? yeah AB does bring some of that but that little guard from Auburn was taking him to school.

Reaction Score
I really hope you're right, we don't need anything flashy, just solid play. Our backcourt should score enough if everyone recovers from their injuries, and KO always puts a defense on the court that is at minimum above average (even this year when we're a disaster, we're still 40th in KenPom adjusted defense).

Reaction Score
I think the bigs that KO brings in could easily replace ABs offensive game as well as his rebounding production. Rim protection? yeah AB does bring some of that but that little guard from Auburn was taking him to school.

Brimah is pretty awful in every facet of the game outside of rim protection and has never really improved in any area. If we had anything even close to a healthy team I'd fully endorse giving him as little PT as possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom