Pre-game NYC bar for Monday | The Boneyard

Pre-game NYC bar for Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's going to take a lot of pre-game indulgence to get me through Monday night, is there a place where people typically meet up before games?

Reaction Score
there are, the places that the alumni group hosts though will be a madhouse, probably filled with tons of uconn fans but to the point where u cant move or get beer.

Reaction Score
It's going to take a lot of pre-game indulgence to get me through Monday night, is there a place where people typically meet up before games?
There's Van Diemen's or Stout right across the street from MSG. You can hang upstairs or go downstairs where there might be a little bit more room.

Reaction Score
Glad you asked. Once again I present my perennial list of 'fine' institutions of imbibing that UConn'rs/BYers have frequented over the many years. Some may no longer be with us, and can't vouch for them all, but:

Blondie’s 79th & Amsterdam

Brother Jimmy, (ACC bar) Amsterdam 80-81

Bourbon St, Amsterdam 79-80

*ESPN Zone. 42nd St at Broadway

*Park Avenue Country Club, Park Ave. South at 27th St. Very busy place but have all the games.

Mercury Bar, 3rd Avenue between 34th and 35th St. Another on 9th Avenue at 45th St?

Harrison's Tavern, Amsterdam Ave. at 77th St. Big Red Sox bar, perhaps with BCU jokers.

Hairy Monk, 3rd Ave at 25th St. Red Sox sanctuary.

Ledgends eerd neat 5th Av

The Riviera Cafe, West 4th St. at Seventh Ave. Red Sox friendly bar.

The Gin Mill, Amsterdam Ave. between 81st and 82nd St.

Scruffy Duffy's, 8th Avenue between 46th and 47th St,

Copper Door Tavern, 3rd Avenue between 21st and 22nd St.

The Gym. 167 8th Ave (18-19th St) BC fans?

Ship of Fools. 2nd Ave (82nd and 83rd St)

Standings. &th St (2nd & Bowery)

Stout 33rd (6th – 7th Av)

Mad River. 82nd & 3rd Ave

O’Reilly’s Townhouse. 21 W. 35th between 5th and 6th Avenue Phone # 502-5246

Mustang Harry 352 7th Av / 30th St

Mustang Sally 324 7th Av / 28th St

Hill Country, 30 W 26th (5th – 6th Ave) Great bourbon bar & BBQ

Van Diemen

Vaughn’s

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Wear a 4-1 shirt, at least we still have that :)

Reaction Score
I feel like any bar near MSG is going to be totally insane before a Syracuse/UConn game.

I'm pre-gaming on the train from New Haven. The drinks are cheap and plentiful!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
ESPN zone has been gone for a while

@sledog You've got ESPNZone and Park Avenue Country Club starred, presumably because they've both been closed for a decade. No reason to keep them on the list.

I would add The Ainsworth. It's a large sports bar on 26th & 6th. (There are also a couple on the east side.)

If you're looking for someplace a little less crowded, there are the Blarney Stone and the Blarney Rock. I can't remember which is which, but they're both Irish dive bars.

Reaction Score
Kembuckets will be at a watering hold near msg numbing the pain. Hell, I might even start the numbing process tomorrow.

Reaction Score
@sledog You've got ESPNZone and Park Avenue Country Club starred, presumably because they've both been closed for a decade. No reason to keep them on the list.

I would add The Ainsworth. It's a large sports bar on 26th & 6th. (There are also a couple on the east side.)

If you're looking for someplace a little less crowded, there are the Blarney Stone and the Blarney Rock. I can't remember which is which, but they're both Irish dive bars.

Like I said, it's an historical list.

I walked past the Blarney (next to Stout) earlier this week. Completely packed with construction workers who were rolling out the door blitzed. Bring an oxygen mask if you don't do cigarette smoke.

As I recall, the Alumni have held events at Local Cafe (33rd and 8th - literally across the street from MSG) in past, but have no idea about this game.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Like I said, it's an historical list.

I walked past the Blarney (next to Stout) earlier this week. Completely packed with construction workers who were rolling out the door blitzed. Bring an oxygen mask if you don't do cigarette smoke.

As I recall, the Alumni have held events at Local Cafe (33rd and 8th - literally across the street from MSG) in past, but have no idea about this game.

I know. I'm just saying, you know they're closed, so you may as well take them off the list next time you post it, notwithstanding your caveat.

As for Blarney (whichever one -- like I said, I can't keep 'em straight), or most MSG-area bars for that matter, it depends what time you go. 5:30 might be a different crowd than 7:00.

Reaction Score
I'll be rolling with my CT homeboys at Brother Jimmys at 8th and W31st pregame. The Ainsworth is a great choice, just be advised that it is an upscale sports bar, not to be confused with the beer and puke on the floor Blarney choices. Kind of like Nomar is saying, different crowds. Stout is in between the two vibe wise (a good choice), and Local is great depending on the weather, I have spent many a BE tourney on the roof deck with the heat lamps. I would stay away from Tir Na Nog, that place doesnt do either upscale or puke on floor well. I do have a dark horse that is always fun, hit the Molly Wee on 8th and 30th, a great little hidden gem.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
May need a post game bar visit to wash the taste of Syracuse out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stout will be a Syracuse bar that evening.

The 'official' UConn bar is normally Van Diemens, although it is a bit of a hike. An officially official UConn event will be held at the Garden, but it's sold out - the overflow will be at Liberty.

I recommend going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog