Praise for the Huskies from Seth Greenberg | The Boneyard

Praise for the Huskies from Seth Greenberg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On Sports Center this morning, Seth went on and on about the Huskies. His best quote, “Connecticut is the best passing team in basketball, Men’s, Women’s, at any level.”

High praise indeed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Usually I would be cynical and say that these analysts just looked at a highlight reel but with no men's games going in, he probably watched the whole thing. Funny how our game just happened to fall on a Monday night without competition. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Usually I would be cynical and say that these analysts just looked at a highlight reel but with no men's games going in, he probably watched the whole thing. Funny how our game just happened to fall on a Monday night without competition. ;)
Seth is a basketball junky. He hangs around ESPN’s studios and watches a half dozen games at a time, Men’s, Women’s and the pros.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
On Sports Center this morning, Seth went on and on about the Huskies. His best quote, “Connecticut is the best passing team in basketball, Men’s, Women’s, at any level.”

High praise indeed.

Higher praise. Mike Golic basically saying like a broken record

" I am not making a bet with Rebecca Lobo" :D:D:D

Reaction Score
I have watched alot of women's basketball over the years and coached it at a grade school level; that doesn't really qualify me beyond Seth Greenberg obviously but any coach, at any level, can see and appreciate the raw and unrelenting pressure UConn keeps on teams with their halfcourt offense. It starts with the spacing which lends itself to the cutting; the screening and timing of the screen off of a cut. The defense is put into a state of constantly chasing the ball; with the pace it is run it has to be really taxing to defend. WAY too much gets made of UConn's talent because it's not like having Alcindor then Walton like UCLA had--realistically the best two big men who ever played the College game. Getting really good shooters who are on the floor in abundance open shots consistently is what makes UConn so unique. Open shots are the Mother's Milk of UConn's attack; but it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It is the spacing and cutting with the exclamation point of passing to the open player that drives the efficiency.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have watched alot of women's basketball over the years and coached it at a grade school level; that doesn't really qualify me beyond Seth Greenberg obviously but any coach, at any level, can see and appreciate the raw and unrelenting pressure UConn keeps on teams with their halfcourt offense. It starts with the spacing which lends itself to the cutting; the screening and timing of the screen off of a cut. The defense is put into a state of constantly chasing the ball; with the pace it is run it has to be really taxing to defend. WAY too much gets made of UConn's talent because it's not like having Alcindor then Walton like UCLA had--realistically the best two big men who ever played the College game. Getting really good shooters who are on the floor in abundance open shots consistently is what makes UConn so unique. Open shots are the Mother's Milk of UConn's attack; but it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It is the spacing and cutting with the exclamation point of passing to the open player that drives the efficiency.
Nice, and what makes Uconn so unbelievably successful is that they combine that offensive intensity and execution with equal attention to the other end of the floor. The attention to defense and the intensity they put into that end, and the fundamentals and emphasis on team defense is on equal footing to the offense. Uconn is seldom the leader in points against because they play at a faster pace than the teams that usually take that crown and against a much stronger field of opponents, but both offensive and defensive efficiency blows other teams away.
This May Be The Best UConn Team Ever

Reaction Score
At one point, last night, I ignored everyone except Lou. Watching her in constant motion before finally getting an open look, shot, and successful 3 was fascinating. Her defender had to be thinking: “Will you please STAND STILL”! Conditioning on this team is the
best I’ve ever seen.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
At one point, last night, I ignored everyone except Lou. Watching her in constant motion before finally getting an open look, shot, and successful 3 was fascinating. Her defender had to be thinking: “Will you please STAND STILL”! Conditioning on this team is the
best I’ve ever seen.

I also watched Lou last night, during the game SC tried three different defenders on her. I think they had to because they were getting tired running all over the court trying to contain her. I think that she does more work on the court trying to get open then anyone else and when she does, half the time she will throw the ball to a teammate that has the better shot.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
best I’ve ever seen.
Years ago, I remember watching John Havlicek with the Boston Celtics do the same thing. Over the course of a game, he probably ran 3 miles trying to get open for shots. One of the things that was remarkable about Havlicek back then, and is remarkable about Lou today is their incredible stamina.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Good. Glad that womens basketball is getting some attention. I always get a giggle out of those who say well Uconn gets ..... fill in the blanks and the other teams don't have.... fill in the blanks. It is not easy to play at that level. The amount of energy that is spent on the defensive end and then to execute at the same high energy on the offensive end is incredible.

How many teams do you see with a player who can score on the offensive end but then rests on the defensive end. Then that player struggles with extra attention as they don't know how to push harder or help their teams in other ways.

To be able to shoot and execute while expending that much energy, is from practicing at that level. Thats the part I think everyone overlooks.

Reaction Score
Great description!
I pretty much no longer watch either pro or college basketball any more because I usually don't appreciate the style of play. I do and for quite a few years watch U Conn women's basketball for all the reasons you describe.
I grew up being a fan of the two Knick championship teams and it's fairly similar, to how they played. Willis Reed while an excellent player wasn't a super star and was only a 6'9"center. Even when Earl the Pearl Monroe, one of the best and flashiest players of his time, joined Walt Frazier in their backcourt and most thought they couldn't play without at least two balls, the ball moved from player to player around the court. Yes they had usually 7-8 very good players but they beat the Lakers who had Alcindor, West and Baylor, three of the greatest players of all time. Having excellent players doesn't guarantee championship or sometimes even Elite Eight appearances. Texas is just one example of how many AA and so far nada. MM has 6 very good players, but don't think any or maybe more than 1-2 star like players and look where they are and usually seem to be!
Then there is Geno, CD and the coaching staff who only recruits players who want to be part of championship teams and must sacrifice many things to get them to where they are - 11 straight final four appearances. Reaching this level once or twice is pretty impressive but do to it year after year, which over an 11 year time frame means 3-4 cycles of players. To get a KLS, MW, CW to choose U Conn speaks volumes. I'm sure there are such examples in the men's game, but men's style and egos, usually get in the way. I'm sure part of MW struggles this year, and even CD's last year has to do with going from being one of the top players in the whole country, and being admired and pampered, and always excelling.
Then coming to U Conn at best being either the fifth starter (KLS) or sixth / seventh player is a startling reality. Except for the very few stars as discussed here many, many times, the light and growth usually takes until the sophomore year. It's telling that KLS was essentially the 5th starter on Stewie, Mariah & Tucks team and is now a two time AA. CD has made enormous progress this her 2nd season and might become an AA candidate in her 3rd and / or fourth year. Time will tell how MW continues to grow and develop. And all the growth and development only happens after a phenomenal amount of physical and emotional work. All of this and so many other things contribute to their ongoing seemingly easy success.
Another example would be Kelly Graves a very, very good coach who has brought in excellent players and more coming, but still hasn't reached a FF. Sabrina Ionescu who I have a repeatedly thought of as one of the great guards of all time struggled mightily in the Elite Eught game to reach the FF. PRESSURE!!! Even the all time great DT had a horrible game as a freshman that at least partially cost that loaded team a NC.
What I'm trying to say, in way too many words, is how darn hard it is for even great players and teams to translate greatness, into playing selfless team ball and then into winning very big games. I believe strongly that the psychological and emotional part of the game as well as previous success, plays a huge part in more success. MM & ND won over Oregon for those reasons.
While I do and can often go on and on, U Conn maybe the best program, one of the best teams to ever play in any team sports BUT they must win their 12th NC next week, or the gap will close more, as they wouldn't have won two years in a row. I fully expect they will win, maybe even comfortably and continue this dynasty.
Bronx23

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Last night ESPN showed a graphic of how UConn sets their offense. All 5 players are spaced out from the foul line to the center court line. The area from the foul line to the base line is wide open. Then I remembered that I had seen this graphic before. ESPN had it during Stewie's junior year during the tournament. This set up makes it difficult to pack the lane. It also gives UConn ample room for screens, backdoor cuts and pick and rolls or the inside out portion of the game. Now add the fact that UConn again has 5 players with 100 or more assists.

What makes this more amazing is that coaches have to know this information. Yet, UConn continues to roll.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last night ESPN showed a graphic of how UConn sets their offense. All 5 players are spaced out from the foul line to the center court line. The area from the foul line to the base line is wide open. Then I remembered that I had seen this graphic before. ESPN had it during Stewie's junior year during the tournament. This set up makes it difficult to pack the lane. It also gives UConn ample room for screens, backdoor cuts and pick and rolls or the inside out portion of the game. Now add the fact that UConn again has 5 players with 100 or more assists.

What makes this more amazing is that coaches have to know this information. Yet, UConn continues to roll.

Geno held forth a great length a couple of years ago about lazy and complacent coaches. His advice to JPM to "try harder" was honest if stinging advice.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I also watched Lou last night, during the game SC tried three different defenders on her. I think they had to because they were getting tired running all over the court trying to contain her. I think that she does more work on the court trying to get open then anyone else and when she does, half the time she will throw the ball to a teammate that has the better shot.
Lou is a marvel at moving without the ball. Another one of those keenly important aspects of her and UConn's game that NPOY voters probably don't get to see.

I think this year's team sets the standard for intangibles.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Years ago, I remember watching John Havlicek with the Boston Celtics do the same thing. Over the course of a game, he probably ran 3 miles trying to get open for shots. One of the things that was remarkable about Havlicek back then, and is remarkable about Lou today is their incredible stamina.
Havlicek was a marvel. Did you ever hear the story (possibly an urban myth) that his lungs were so big they wouldn't fit on a standard X-Ray slide?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Havlicek was a marvel. Did you ever hear the story (possibly an urban myth) that his lungs were so big they wouldn't fit on a standard X-Ray slide?
Yes, I’ve heard the story/myth. All I know is that Hondo could run all day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I vaguely recall the feeling of getting to the spot and standing there totally unarmed to let the opponent make a charging call - and it seems Lou does that at least once every game - and then, from the floor, shows her glee - love it.
Lou got SC called for 2 charges last night. She would have had another one, but her foot was on the line for the restricted area.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
John Havlicek, Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, and Katie Lou Samuelson. All run and run and run.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
John Havlicek, Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, and Katie Lou Samuelson. All run and run and run.
Let's please not forget Bill Bradley as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's please not forget Bill Bradley as well.
I loved Senator Bradley. Yes, he ran around a lot too. He wasn’t as lean as the other players noted, but he put in the mileage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom