Prairie View coaches not happy with ESPN/Lobo [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Prairie View coaches not happy with ESPN/Lobo [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If only you knew how it aggravated RU fans that EP, and Cappie before her, were reluctant shooters, especially early in the game. Both took "involving their teammates" to heart a bit to much. I kid you not, it was enough of an issue that CVS was questioned by the fan club about it at one of her appearances (and no, she also wanted them to shoot more early).

PS - I'm going to send you a message related to the main point of the thread that I think you might appreciate.

I dunno...maybe it was better that EP didn't... j/k

Reaction Score
Talk about a mountain and and a mole hill.

Wow!

Rebecca is sure taking a beating lately. First some UCONN fans and now this. I dig watching her on the studio shows and when she's doing the games on the sideline.

That team and their fans need to get real. They were outmatched and have to take what comes with it.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Watching the game again this afternoon. I can't find anything worthy of offense, unless it's a supposedly tournament-worthy team having only 12 points in the first half. PV was dreadful coming in to the game and certainly didn't step up against the Huskies. The Huskies are a daunting task for any team, that's understood.

Coach Brown responded (purely a guess here) while the sting of defeat was still fresh. This she ought not to have done. She made herself look foolish, and her good efforts deserve a better representation than that.

I really like Kara and Rebecca as commentators. Apparently, so do many others.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yep. The commentators will start showing respect for your team when you can actually compete against the best. And I don't think the commentators were disrespectful at all; I actually learned a little bit about their season and a few players during the game. What exactly did they expect?

Reaction Score
i don't approve of her comments but i can see why she was frustrated. ESPN is all about UCONN. teams like PV and others should get more respect for their accomplishments as well. you all might disagree with me, and that's fine, but in order for WCBB to grow, every other story cannot be about UCONN. at times, half of the story lines listed on the site cover UCONN. we all know this. there are 49 other states to cover. that's just my opinion. and no, i don't want more stories about TN either. we get enough stories for me. please don't go into attack mode. we can just agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
What senior LaReahn Washington just completed most players dream of. She walks away from Prairie View, a 4-time SWAC Conference Tournament Champion, something Connecticut's senior class can't claim.

True.. but what UCONN players can do is claim to be National Champions with the exception of Chong

Reaction Score
What senior LaReahn Washington just completed most players dream of. She walks away from Prairie View, a 4-time SWAC Conference Tournament Champion, something Connecticut's senior class can't claim.

True.. but what UCONN players can do is claim to be National Champions with the exception of Chong
yeah, but i think you are missing the point. she's not putting down the UCONN players.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
yeah, but i think you are missing the point. she's not putting down the UCONN players.
Um, well maybe, except why would any UConn or UTenn player dream of being the 4-time SWAC player of the year for? They don't go to those schools if they have dreams of being the top player in Little League. Nice run by Washington, but only a totally clueless poster would not think that the "senior class can't claim" comment in the article isn't fanning the flames that Diva lady wants to start up for her team. I get that she and her posters want to bring God and claims of racism into everything about her team. Fact is, they were a #16 seed with a losing record that got to appear on the big stage in place of teams like USF. They got the nod they deserved, but the fact is that saying that making the tourney four years in a row is something most teams can only dream of is a bit ludicrous to many programs. If you can make the tourney with a losing record, most schools would say, that's BS.

Coach Brown, get a head on your shoulders and think before you tweet.

Reaction Score
Um, well maybe, except why would any UConn or UTenn player dream of being the 4-time SWAC player of the year for? They don't go to those schools if they have dreams of being the top player in Little League. Nice run by Washington, but only a totally clueless poster would not think that the "senior class can't claim" comment in the article isn't fanning the flames that Diva lady wants to start up for her team. I get that she and her posters want to bring God and claims of racism into everything about her team. Fact is, they were a #16 seed with a losing record that got to appear on the big stage in place of teams like USF. They got the nod they deserved, but the fact is that saying that making the tourney four years in a row is something most teams can only dream of is a bit ludicrous to many programs. If you can make the tourney with a losing record, most schools would say, that's BS.

Coach Brown, get a head on your shoulders and think before you tweet.
i see your point and like i said, i don't approve of her comments. i just think she did not appreciate the way ESPN handled it. she certainly could have handled it better herself though.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
That coach was ridiculous, and then that article is disgraceful - even mentioning the Imus thing in the same article , tells u all u need to know. They are both looking for a little national attention!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
i don't approve of her comments but i can see why she was frustrated. ESPN is all about UCONN. teams like PV and others should get more respect for their accomplishments as well. you all might disagree with me, and that's fine, but in order for WCBB to grow, every other story cannot be about UCONN. at times, half of the story lines listed on the site cover UCONN. we all know this. there are 49 other states to cover. that's just my opinion. and no, i don't want more stories about TN either. we get enough stories for me. please don't go into attack mode. we can just agree to disagree.
I agree that ESPN and other media outlets definitely go with 'front runners' and in WCBB Uconn is and has been for a while the ultimate front runner. And it can get pretty ridiculous in the way the 'three to see' became obnoxious last year. I do find it embarrassing at times the amount of focus spent on Uconn and you could add in on the prospect of the Uconn/ND championship game.
That said, I don't think anyone could complain about the in-game coverage itself - there was a fair amount of talk about PVs season and their star player and coach, but the actual performances in the game by PV didn't deserve much more recognition than they received as they were clearly over matched. That leaves the introduction in studio and ESPN chose to spend most of their analysis on the games they saw as being more likely to be competitive and devoted all of about 30 seconds to the Uconn/PV game. Personally, I think making a joke about the insurmountable odds that PV faced was a better way of handling it than to actual break down the players and coaches specifically. The hard numbers would have been more devastating and more personal than just saying 'this game just isn't going to be competitive however much effort PV puts out.'
For example ... would Dawn have been happier if they put up a graphic with Geno's coaching record and hers - Dawn Brown career coaching record 14-17 for a .452 win percentage; Geno 873 - 133 for a .868 win percentage. And then they could have had the voice over of ... Dawn spent most of the year as the interim HC and just recently was named the full time head coach for her first HC job and this will be her first game in an NCAA tournament. Geno on the other hand has been head coach for 29 years and was recently named the HC for the national team - the first time a HC has been retained for a second 4 year stint and holds a record of 91-17 with 8 NCs in the NCAA tournament. That would be all factual and an accurate assessment of coaching records and experience but why would anyone need to know that and would it make Dawn feel more 'respected'?

Reaction Score
Well, now I am going to weigh in.

Whoever the idiot was who made the reckless charge of "racism" out to be called out and publicly excoriated. Why do people get away with this crap? This is nothing more than latter-day McCarthyism.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This cracks me up! On the Swish blogsite, they've conducted a poll. Seems that 61% of respondents (a total of 291 replied) said that Kara's comment was innocent and funny. The rest thought it was evil. So after the impassioned essay at the top of the page pleaded an absurd case, its readers emphatically rejected it at the bottom of the page.

Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, they should cut the women's tournament to maybe 32 teams. All these minor league winners will get an automatic bid to WNIT, not NCAA. They can showcase their hard work there. If they can win WNIT, then they will earn auto bid to NCAA the next time, like the tennis Fed/Davis cup. Or they can schedule WNIT before NCAA, like the qualification rounds in grand slams.

Not gonna happen for a lot of reasons, including Title IX.

Reaction Score
Her twitter handle says it all.
Yes it does, one would think a self proclaimed diva would not have such thin skin. They were given plenty of respect in a 43 point loss...

Reaction Score
Yes it does, one would think a self proclaimed diva would not have such thin skin. They were given plenty of respect in a 43 point loss...
Believe me, she thinks God is on her side as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom