Prairie View coaches not happy with ESPN/Lobo [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Prairie View coaches not happy with ESPN/Lobo [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dawn Brown @divacoachpv · 21h ago
I was very disappointed in watching our game replay vs. UCONN. I find in very disrespectful to ignore the hardwork my staff and team put together to turn this season around. It shouldn't go unnoticed. instagram.com/p/l_XLqKyEmI/

Dawn Brown ‏@divacoachpv 1h
@coachdamonmoore no the team was given a moment of silence

Damon Moore ‏@coachdamonmoore 2h
Really disappointed in the comments made by @karalawson20 and @rebeccalobo, two ladies I HAD respect for. #momentofnoise! #PVAMUWBB

Damon Moore ‏@coachdamonmoore 19m
@rebeccalobo Can we get a moment of silence for someone who ONLY averaged 6.7 ppg from 97-03 & no 'Ships in the WNBA? Is that funny?

Rebecca Lobo ‏@rebeccalobo 1h
@coachdamonmoore It was meant to be a comment on UConn's dominance. I'm sorry.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I guess she is just ignoring the numerous comments made about her turning the team around and being officially given the job as head coach the interim title being dropped a week prior to the tournament. I thought the studio and game staff, also, celebrated the team and her job quite nicely.

On the other hand the game was like lambs to the slaughter.

Last edited:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Someone on the Coach Brown's Instagram page accused Lobo of racism.

Reaction Score
Well, the moment of silance was offered by Kara Lawson not Lobo but regardless it seems odd that the coach of PV takes it so hard as it was clearly meant to represent the power of UConn which is well known and would have been true for any of the 16th seeds.

HGN

Reaction Score
A comment was made by the ESPN Staff , but I don't think that any disrespect was intended. That same comment could have been made at any 1 vs 16 seed game. No one expects the 16 seed to have much of a PRAYER......Thus , the moment of silence comment.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
With her increased screentime this year Rebecca is finding out this year that being a commentator can be almost as rough as being a ref. It's easier than you think to irritate people. And all it takes it a vocal few to make some noise in this internet age. Fortunately after playing for Geno I think her skin is pretty thick.

Reaction Score
Brown needs to get a life. In the absence of one, she finds excitement in things like this. Certainly not in the performance of her team vs. UConn. Talk about thin skin. Sheesh.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/3/2..._medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

ESPN rarely covers the individual accomplishments of players within their own conference unless they have national ramification and/or break records. I will say, the Top Teams do get more coverage then the underdogs. The comments that Prairie View had no chance is echoing what many in the Media and Fans were thinking and no insult was intended.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I hardly think Rebecca and Kara had "the red carpet rolled out for them" since their college careers. They have worked hard to get where they are. It was an innocent joke. I can understand PV being offended, but that swish appeal article is over the top - particularly for an author who hides behind the handle "dasharpshoota15". You write it in the blogosphere for swish appeal, own it.

Reaction Score
Well, the moment of silence was offered by Kara Lawson not Lobo but regardless it seems odd that the coach of PV takes it so hard as it was clearly meant to represent the power of UConn which is well known and would have been true for any of the 16th seeds.

PV may have been the only team in the NCAA tournament that had a losing record , and they were playing an undefeated team. They would have had a better chance playing the lottery.

As Icebear points out the coaches are ignoring all the good things said about PV.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My response posted there - and really couldn't believe how many posters were agreeing with the sentiments of the article:
Sorry, but this is the NCAA tournament and the only 16 seed to ever win was Harvard a very long time ago when the #1 seed was crippled by injuries just before the tournament - still a great accomplishment for Harvard, but...
Would it have been more respectful to analyze the game by saying 'PV will be lucky to not be blown out of the building in the first 5 minutes and I expect they have zero chance of keeping the margin of defeat under 40 unless Uconn pulls their starters for the second half.' This was a 14 and 17 team going up against the best team in the country - a team that was blowing out ranked teams by 25 and 30 points and had just completed beating up the #3 team in the country three times by an average of 20 points. There average margin of victory for the whole year is hovering around 36 points and against unranked teams is over 40. I thought the commentary during the game was very respectful of both coach and players, but to pretend that this was going to be a competitive game before, during, or after would have been dishonest. And I suspect you know about the slight suffered by the PV star in the SWAC POY vote because the commentators during the game actually brought that up. I suppose they could have chosen to break down the individual starting players one on one - comparing shooting percentages, national accolades, skills - but that would in my mind have been a move to more clearly show that these hard working kids were hopelessly overmatched individually as well as in the collective. Rather than be brutally honest about PVs chance to win or even seriously challenge Uconn, Kara Lawson who happens to be one of the best basketball commentators out there, chose to make a light hearted assessment - they had no chance.
As for 'death' metaphors - sports is full of them from 'they are killing them' to 'sudden death' to 'this is just murder' or 'lambs to the slaughter', etc. etc. And the reality is the game was 'murder' and Uconn 'killed them' - 5 minutes in the score was 15 to 0 and by half time it was 44 to 12. PV shot 13.9% in the first half, Uconn 57.1%. PV competed hard the whole game, harder than better teams have in lesser blow outs against this Uconn team. Kudos to them and their coach and the commentators who recognized the effort they were putting forth. And Kudos to the pre-game analysts for recognizing this was a 'lambs to the slaughter' match-up.
As for bringing in the Imus situation ... really. Gratuitous and completely irrelevant. F for sports journalism.
And if you think ANY women's professional basketball player has a red carpet type of life you really don't have a clue what these word class athletes face.

Reaction Score
PV may have been the only team in the NCAA tournament that had a losing record , and they were playing an undefeated team. They would have had a better chance playing the lottery.

As Icebear points out the coaches are ignoring all the good things said about PV.
KLaw’s (apparently her cool new nickname) comments weren’t disrespectful; just realistic, given how strong UConn is and how weak Prairie View is.

We all heard the other night about Prairie View’s awful start and how they later turned things around; much of their poor start may be due to losing their coach in the summer (?) and the chaos that created, so good for them in getting their program going (seriously); but they still ended their season with a three game losing streak and a conference record of only 11-7, good for only fourth place in a very weak conference (last in SOS, second to last in RPI). Prairie View finished five games behind (and had lost twice to) Southern University in an eighteen game league schedule.

Nor is their mediocre conference record this year an anomaly – they’ve finished 11-7 in the SWAC for the last three years yet managed to win their tournament and get to the NCAAs anyway (the year before they were 14-4) and along the way set the record for the fewest points ever scored in a half. This is one of those examples where sending the conference tournament winner means not sending the conference’s best team – year after year after year…

And when they get to the NCAA tournament, they’ve played:

2014: UConn 87 – 44 11-17 (11-7)
2013: Baylor 82 – 40 14-14 (11-7)
2012: UConn 83 – 47 14-15 (11-7)
2011: Baylor 66 – 30 18-11 (14-4)
2009: Oklahoma 76 – 47 20-10 (17-1)
2007: North Carolina 95 – 38 16-13 (14-4)

2008 and 2010 – first round losses in the WNIT
Based on who they’ve played and how they’ve fared in the first round, I think we can agree they are either the 64th team in the tournament, or very, very close to it, and that the chances of them pulling off a “Harvard” this year were only slightly better than the chances of the now-single Gwyneth Paltrow calling me this weekend…

I am a believer in each conference sending their best team to the tournament, no matter how small the conference; and credit the Prairie View team for playing out the game and not just rolling over against almost impossible odds, for turning their season around, for winning the SWAC tournament and all the other things that they were praised for all night. But still, given their record and their conference and the fact that they “lucked” into the NCAAs, they should be thankful for getting any attention and quite frankly, the reality check.

Speaking of which – gotta go charge the cell phone; ya never know who may be calling this weekend…

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Another "blowing it out of proportion" thing.

The writers comments about the SWAC in the beginning of the article, though, were spot-on and probably not something that most followers of the larger conferences realize. By the way, one of the previous coaches of PV was Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, who played RU, and I will always remember her for going over to Prince after the handshake line, while her team was leaving the floor and RU was getting ready for the Alma Mater, and giving her a "shoot more" symbol at a time when Prince was being a reluctant shooter.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Another "blowing it out of proportion" thing.

The writers comments about the SWAC in the beginning of the article, though, were spot-on and probably not something that most followers of the larger conferences realize. By the way, one of the previous coaches of PV was Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, who played RU, and I will always remember her for going over to Prince after the handshake line, while her team was leaving the floor and RU was getting ready for the Alma Mater, and giving her a "shoot more" symbol at a time when Prince was being a reluctant shooter.
not Epiphany, correct... she doesnt need a reminder ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
not Epiphany, correct... she doesnt need a reminder ;)
If only you knew how it aggravated RU fans that EP, and Cappie before her, were reluctant shooters, especially early in the game. Both took "involving their teammates" to heart a bit to much. I kid you not, it was enough of an issue that CVS was questioned by the fan club about it at one of her appearances (and no, she also wanted them to shoot more early).

PS - I'm going to send you a message related to the main point of the thread that I think you might appreciate.

Reaction Score
KLaw’s (apparently her cool new nickname) comments weren’t disrespectful; just realistic, given how strong UConn is and how weak Prairie View is.

We all heard the other night about Prairie View’s awful start and how they later turned things around; much of their poor start may be due to losing their coach in the summer (?) and the chaos that created, so good for them in getting their program going (seriously); but they still ended their season with a three game losing streak and a conference record of only 11-7, good for only fourth place in a very weak conference (last in SOS, second to last in RPI). Prairie View finished five games behind (and had lost twice to) Southern University in an eighteen game league schedule.

Nor is their mediocre conference record this year an anomaly – they’ve finished 11-7 in the SWAC for the last three years yet managed to win their tournament and get to the NCAAs anyway (the year before they were 14-4) and along the way set the record for the fewest points ever scored in a half. This is one of those examples where sending the conference tournament winner means not sending the conference’s best team – year after year after year…

And when they get to the NCAA tournament, they’ve played:

2014: UConn 87 – 44 11-17 (11-7)
2013: Baylor 82 – 40 14-14 (11-7)
2012: UConn 83 – 47 14-15 (11-7)
2011: Baylor 66 – 30 18-11 (14-4)
2009: Oklahoma 76 – 47 20-10 (17-1)
2007: North Carolina 95 – 38 16-13 (14-4)

2008 and 2010 – first round losses in the WNIT
Based on who they’ve played and how they’ve fared in the first round, I think we can agree they are either the 64th team in the tournament, or very, very close to it, and that the chances of them pulling off a “Harvard” this year were only slightly better than the chances of the now-single Gwyneth Paltrow calling me this weekend…

I am a believer in each conference sending their best team to the tournament, no matter how small the conference; and credit the Prairie View team for playing out the game and not just rolling over against almost impossible odds, for turning their season around, for winning the SWAC tournament and all the other things that they were praised for all night. But still, given their record and their conference and the fact that they “lucked” into the NCAAs, they should be thankful for getting any attention and quite frankly, the reality check.

Speaking of which – gotta go charge the cell phone; ya never know who may be calling this weekend…
As I said in another thread, they should cut the women's tournament to maybe 32 teams. All these minor league winners will get an automatic bid to WNIT, not NCAA. They can showcase their hard work there. If they can win WNIT, then they will earn auto bid to NCAA the next time, like the tennis Fed/Davis cup. Or they can schedule WNIT before NCAA, like the qualification rounds in grand slams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom