Practice versus Game Playing Time | The Boneyard

Practice versus Game Playing Time

Reaction Score
While it is truism that some players, including freshman, start or play more because of injuries to other players, it is a misconception and, dare I say it, a bit of disrespect of Geno and the other coaches to conclude that these players (e.g., Caroline and Azzi) would not be where they are today were it not for the playing time they got because of injuries. The basis for this misconception is a misunderstanding of the role of practice at UCONN and probably elsewhere

It's often said that no matter how much you practice, there is no substitute for real game experience, especially under the pressure of high quality competition, a roaring crowd, the eye of media and the clock. Generally, there is much truth in that, but I do not think that is a significant factor at UCONN. If nothing else, we have the players’ own testimonials to that. How many times, through the years, even with our best teams and players, have we heard them say that practice is often much harder than games. I’ve even heard interviews where players have expressed relief that a game is at hand as respite from practice?

That raises the obvious question of what is practice for the women at UCONN? The answer is not obvious since I have seen posts where some posters think that practice involves players playing against each other or that injuries diminish the number of players to challenge at practice. For any of you who have attended practice, you know that player on player competition hardly ever happens at UCONN practices. I am sure there are posters who know better than me how the practice squad is assembled, but it is, in fact, a group of male players who are, in every way, a match for the team. In games in practice they always are competitive and it is not unusual for them to win. I saw them beat a team that included KLS, Kia, Gabby, Napheesa and Crystal. Do the men lay off a bit so as not to inflict injuries? I suppose so but it did not look like it to me. Every day in practice these men, who are as tall or taller, as fast or faster and as deadly or deadlier play the women in intense games and smaller drill configurations. Players on either side who do not give it their all are severely reprimanded by the coaches. Men who do not present real challenges to the women are replaced with those who do. Practice games are timed, under the intense and relentless pressure of the coaches and, often with referees. It is like a game against S. Carolina or Stanford? No, but it’s close and every bit as intense as the coaches can make it.

The other key factor about practice is it reveals talent just as much as game situations. Sure, some players don’t practice well but shine in games, but they are the exception. Rest assured that whatever talent, grit, passion, etc. players reveal in games, they have done the same day after day, multiple times in practice. Clearly, Geno and the other coaches almost always know what each player is able to deliver at game time. While players have had and will have to lose playing time as players return from injury, their roles on the team are not a mystery to the coaches. Players like Azzi, Caroline and Nika earned their playing time in practice just as much if not more than in games.

Reaction Score
Stars learn in practice what they need to do in games. That's how they become stars.

Reaction Score
I like analogies. Helps me understand stuff.
How about golf. Practice tee, practice green, practice trap. Maybe with a coach. Is the tee grass or a mat.
A round on the course with buddies. A tournament round with your arch-nemesis. Are these places the same?
You do ALL of your work off the course. Swing mechanics, repetition, working on different shots, tinkering in general.
You PLAY GOLF on the course. Strategy, execution. Tinkering, you better not on the course.
Similar to hoops?
You're coaching a golf team and player X can't get off the tee, or some other infirmity in practice. What do you do? Bench them and wait until they're ready to take their game out on the course.
One more point to consider in the equation: theoretically, all the UConn players are top HS prospects/HS All-Americans. How much "benefit-of-the-doubt" should they get for being poor practicers?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom