Practice Report from Storrs | The Boneyard

Practice Report from Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Unlike past years, where I take a few mental notes to satisfy the curiosity of the Yarders prior to our first game, this year we've all seen them play. So what was 2 1/2 hrs like with Ollie in charge? Well compared to the past few years it was different.

First off, No trophy's on display this year for the fans to take pictures with. I'm guessing that's not by accident. New team, New goals. Didn't see JC, although this practice was open to his riders from the Summer. No sign of Warde today, but it was a Sunday practice. Great to see Hobbs, Ricky & Free in the building. It felt like seeing the family again. Spoke to KFree for a few minutes & he said "it's Great to be back home." One of the many reasons to root for the Ollie era, all our favorites, in the family tree work with him. Who wants the family replaced with outsiders? In a way, the journey is sweeter with family. Isn't it? I digress.

Now to empty my mind, without boring the guys who follow me on twitter. My freshest thoughts (140)characters & photos were done earlier. Practice was youthful, intense, energetic, happy and very vocal minus the swear words. Due to the timing of a big game Tues, there was Heavy concentration & reference to NCState/Lorenzo Brown. They watched film on them prior but today it was the Main focus. Lots of attention on ball handling, protecting the post, and breaking the zone on offense.

Hobbsie explained NCState likes to press three quarters 2-2-1 then fall back into a zone, which UConn hadn't seen much of this year, so passing was important to get their timing down. I liked what I saw in box out drills too. Obviously they need work on this. Maybe Ollie stole them from one of his NBA years. It was very vocal & involved sealing off an opponent, once the shot went up, in under 2 seconds. Thankfully JC's rebound drill wasn't used because we are one Wolf headache away from a painfully small front court.

Another cool drill was the Nash Drill. Yes, named for Steve. It was non stop free throws, one after another against a shot clock. No time for your standard dribble a few times, set up. No time to think, just shoot. Get into a groove. Can't remember, did Ollie ever play directly with Nash?

We might even have a Secret Weapon pictured below*. I spoke to Coach Miller, who was generous with his time, as he explained the Noah Select shooting diagnostic unit. Kinda looked like something my auto mechanic used for testing a motor. Well this baby measures arc & distance for shooters from the foul line or top of the key. As your bombing away it's calculating the ideal range of what your release point should be and the machine is talking thru speakers to the shooter. On the next shot, players may make a small adjustment to find the most desirable sweet spot. Omar was using it on 3 point shots after practice, while Miller said he liked the tool for some free throw mechanics. Didn't see it last year, Drummond could have benefited.

Lastly, a few players looked like its only a matter of time. If they can stay on the floor and avoid fouls, Wolf & DD are long and coordinated enough to help in the paint. Unfortunately, other than RJ who did most drills today, the team lacks a bruiser. Funny when we have muscle, we beg for shooters. When we have guys with touch, we crave power.

They're working hard for Ollie, that's all I can ask. Oh, and lets get a new conference soon too!

repymu4u.jpg

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Great read!
Steve Nash and KO were never on the same nba team.

Reaction Score
Unlike past years, where I take a few mental notes to satisfy the curiosity of the Yarders prior to our first game, this year we've all seen them play. So what was 2 1/2 hrs like with Ollie in charge? Well compared to the past few years it was different.

First off, No trophy's on display this year for the fans to take pictures with. I'm guessing that's not by accident. New team, New goals. Didn't see JC, although this practice was open to his riders from the Summer. No sign of Warde today, but it was a Sunday practice. Great to see Hobbs, Ricky & Free in the building. It felt like seeing the family again. Spoke to KFree for a few minutes & he said "it's Great to be back home." One of the many reasons to root for the Ollie era, all our favorites, in the family tree work with him. Who wants the family replaced with outsiders? In a way, the journey is sweeter with family. Isn't it? I digress.

Now to empty my mind, without boring the guys who follow me on twitter. My freshest thoughts (140)characters & photos were done earlier. Practice was youthful, intense, energetic, happy and very vocal minus the swear words. Due to the timing of a big game Tues, there was Heavy concentration & reference to NCState/Lorenzo Brown. They watched film on them prior but today it was the Main focus. Lots of attention on ball handling, protecting the post, and breaking the zone on offense.

Hobbsie explained NCState likes to press three quarters 2-2-1 then fall back into a zone, which UConn hadn't seen much of this year, so passing was important to get their timing down. I liked what I saw in box out drills too. Obviously they need work on this. Maybe Ollie stole them from one of his NBA years. It was very vocal & involved sealing off an opponent, once the shot went up, in under 2 seconds. Thankfully JC's rebound drill wasn't used because we are one Wolf headache away from a painfully small front court.

Another cool drill was the Nash Drill. Yes, named for Steve. It was non stop free throws, one after another against a shot clock. No time for your standard dribble a few times, set up. No time to think, just shoot. Get into a groove. Can't remember, did Ollie ever play directly with Nash?

We might even have a Secret Weapon pictured below*. I spoke to Coach Miller, who was generous with his time, as he explained the Noah Select shooting diagnostic unit. Kinda looked like something my auto mechanic used for testing a motor. Well this baby measures arc & distance for shooters from the foul line or top of the key. As your bombing away it's calculating the ideal range of what your release point should be and the machine is talking thru speakers to the shooter. On the next shot, players may make a small adjustment to find the most desirable sweet spot. Omar was using it on 3 point shots after practice, while Miller said he liked the tool for some free throw mechanics. Didn't see it last year, Drummond could have benefited.

Lastly, a few players looked like its only a matter of time. If they can stay on the floor and avoid fouls, Wolf & DD are long and coordinated enough to help in the paint. Unfortunately, other than RJ who did most drills today, the team lacks a bruiser. Funny when we have muscle, we beg for shooters. When we have guys with touch, we crave power.

They're working hard for Ollie, that's all I can ask. Oh, and lets get a new conference soon too!

repymu4u.jpg

Thanks! I agree, it is better with family

caw

Reaction Score
Is it made by J. Noah from the Bulls, I know we all want our centers to have his shooting form...errr

Reaction Score
Is it made by J. Noah from the Bulls, I know we all want our centers to have his shooting form...errr

Created by Noah Webster who was cloned thanks to advances in DNA technology.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im getting a noah slect for my driveway

Reaction Score
Thank GEM great stuff......

Would "Noah" have told Andre to not wander more than 5 feet from the basket??;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's some great stuff. I have nothing to add other than to say thanks for taking the time to give us such a detailed report...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom