Practice Observations | The Boneyard

Practice Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
John Rothstein of SNY and CBS I believe was visiting practice today and has a running stream of quotes from Calhoun and some practice observations. I will post more as he updates.

@JonRothstein Jon Rothstein

Great day at UCONN practice + good chat w Jim Calhoun, whose Huskies are beyond loaded. Will be putting out tidbits throughout the night.

Jim Calhoun on UCONN "I like the fact that we can play multiple ways. We can overpower people inside or we can go small and play fast."

Calhoun on Shabazz Napier "Everyone loved Kemba, not everyone will love Shabazz bc of how feisty he is. He's as relentless as they come."

Calhoun on Andre Drummond "He's 6-11, 277. The only freshman big man we've had here that's close to him was Emeka. The sky's the limit."

Calhoun on Ryan Boatright "He's a high riser that we'll use the way we used Shabazz last year. He reminds me a little of Troy Bell."

Calhoun on Jeremy Lamb "He's our quiet leader. We'll play him at point guard in spurts this year."

Calhoun on Deandre Daniels "He'll play some 2 for us this year. He's a big time talent and it wouldn't shock me if he's a pro in a few yrs."

Calhoun on Niels Giffey "He's a little bit of a glue guy for us. He can shoot, dribble, + pass. He's got a great feel."

Calhoun on Alex Oriakhi moving to PF "It allows him to show his ability as a jump shooter + he's vastly improved in that area."

Calhoun on Tyler Olander "He can really shoot the ball. He'll be a much better player this year."

Calhoun on Roscoe Smith "His versatility is his biggest strength. He can play different positions and shoots it better than people think."

Calhoun on UCONN's wings "No one in college basketball will have three wings better than ours."

Calhoun on a surprise team in the Big East "Rutgers. Mike Rice has done a tremendous job there."

Hitting the road back to NYC now. Will tweet more UCONN observations later. Deandre Daniels was off the charts today.

Reaction Score
That all sounds fantastic! EVERYTHING that's been said about this team has been glowingly positive. I know everyone keeps saying it, but the season truly cannot come soon enough.

Reaction Score
I think Rothstein does a good job. He isn't an attention seeking sleaze ball like a lot of CBB writers nowadays and puts out a lot of good information. He sure does love the use of the phrase "off the charts" though

Reaction Score
I was wondering when Rothstein would visit, a Syr fan got mad on Twitter the other day because he felt that Rothstein was always pumping up UConn. He's probably my 2nd favorite cbb personality after Bilas. I wonder who JC was referring to in wings, JL/DD/RS, or JL/DD/NG and grouping Scoe with the bigs?

Reaction Score
Wings i took as DD/RS/NG, especially after hearing Lamb will play some point...don't think he'll see much time at the 3.

Reaction Score
Unless we're playing a 2 PG set, there really is no difference between the way SF and a SG play in JC's system, and even then you can argue Kemba and AJ before him had the same kind of sets and plays run for them to free them up like a wing would. Lamb is gonna get the same kind of plays ran for him and expected to make the same kind of plays that Rudy, BG, Caron, Rip, and Ray did, they were all really all wings in JC's system with them fluctuating between the SG and SF positions.

Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this walker11.

Those statements by JC are absolute GOLD!!!

Reaction Score
Has Jim ever made such glowing reviews before? I thought he usually says something negative about his squads this time of year. I have heard nothing negative from his this year. He must be ecstatic.

Reaction Score
Calhoun on Jeremy Lamb "We'll play him at point guard in spurts this year."

Calhoun on Deandre Daniels "He'll play some 2 for us this year."

That could potentially be the longest lineup in college basketball history. 5 players with wing spans over 7 feet and the average being about 7'2". An average height of 6'8" isn't bad either. Im assuming lamb, DD, scoe, AO and AD

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Love hearing the news about Daniels. He's the dark horse this year ... if he is even the least bit as advertised then opposing teams are in for some trouble.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Calhoun on UCONN's wings "No one in college basketball will have three wings better than ours." SUCH A BOSS!!

Reaction Score
Good to hear. Cant wait to see this team play. I think Rothstein is a must follow if you are on twitter and youre a college bball fan. Thats really all he tweets about. I think hes right up there with Katz when it comes to reporting and information.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Love hearing the news about Daniels. He's the dark horse this year ... if he is even the least bit as advertised then opposing teams are in for some trouble.

I agree. PT at the 2?

Reaction Score
Good to hear. Cant wait to see this team play. I think Rothstein is a must follow if you are on twitter and youre a college bball fan. Thats really all he tweets about. I think hes right up there with Katz when it comes to reporting and information.

Other than a comment a day about his dinner, he does only talk about MCBB. I have no idea why he thinks people care, but his bball comments make up for it.

Reaction Score
HA. Ya i know he is always tweeting about where hes goin to eat too. I was a little jealous though when tweeted about going to Ferraras down little Italy. They have great cannolis

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It should be a very exciting team. Thanks for the post whaler.

Reaction Score
Calhoun on UCONN's wings "No one in college basketball will have three wings better than ours." SUCH A BOSS!!

What's great about this is I really have no idea which 3 guys he's talking about. That's a good sign for our overall talent level.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What's great about this is I really have no idea which 3 guys he's talking about. That's a good sign for our overall talent level.
im guessing, lamb, dd, roscoe but who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul