POY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

POY

Reaction Score
Hey there: Yes, I noted you also said "on the best team of the 3," which I'll leave up to individual posters and/or current ratings.

However, just want to point out Ms. Gustafson is just not a stat stuffer: she was voted to the First Team Defensive B1G team, as well.

One can say she is the primary driver on both sides of the court on that team. Like you and many have said, it will be a tough decision.
Didn’t ever discredit Gustafson that she isn’t worthy. I just mentioned her stats are what will win her the award if she is chosen. I think we can all-agree that Collier & Ionescu do a little bit of everything for their team. Gustafson controls the paint, Ionescu & Pheesa control the game.

Yes, I also stand by the opinion that UConn is the best of those 3 & I think many non-UConn fans on here would agree with that. Oregon could be an argument but not Iowa.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's quite possible that Collier's performance during the American Conference tournament in Samuelson's absence was notable enough to push her over the top. She had a heck of a series, and was the "go to" that Geno said the team needs the entire weekend. Dangerfield was the straw that stirred the drink.

Yes but Stewie was also on far and away the best team in CBB her Junior & Senior seasons. If UConn went undefeated or even only lost to Louisville I think Pheesa would runway with all the awards.

However, just want to point out Ms. Gustafson is just not a stat stuffer: she was voted to the First Team Defensive B1G team, as well.
One can say she is the primary driver on both sides of the court on that team. Like you and many have said, it will be a tough decision.
Hate to bring in yet another dimension but the conference played in matters also. As impressive as Pheesa MVP AAC tournament run was, Gustafson's was more impressive because it was in a tougher conference. Iowa beat MD (#9) team to win the Big 10 championship and Megan dropped 45. Sagarin had Pac 12 rated as the best conference in WCBB this season. I love my stats but in this case, I'm hopelessly eternally bias in favor of Pheesa.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn’t ever discredit Gustafson that she isn’t worthy. I just mentioned her stats are what will win her the award if she is chosen. I think we can all-agree that Collier & Ionescu do a little bit of everything for their team. Gustafson controls the paint, Ionescu & Pheesa control the game.

Yes, I also stand by the opinion that UConn is the best of those 3 & I think many non-UConn fans on here would agree with that. Oregon could be an argument but not Iowa.
But we are talking about an individual award though not the leader of best team. If that the case Kalani Brown would be POY.

Reaction Score
Hate to bring in yet another dimension but the conference played in matters also. As impressive as Pheesa MVP AAC tournament run was, Gustafson's was more impressive because it was in a tougher conference. Iowa beat MD (#9) team to win the Big 10 championship and Megan dropped 45. Sagarin had Pac 12 rated as the best conference in WCBB this season. I love my stats but in this case, I'm hopelessly eternally bias in favor of Pheesa.
Big 10 is the weakest of the Power 5 conferences. Not sure they are taking that into consideration as much as you think. MD is filled with underclassmen & are very unproven among top teams. I agree with your point about Ionescu & PAC-12.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Big 10 is the weakest of the Power 5 conferences. Not sure they are taking that into consideration as much as you think. MD is filled with underclassmen & are very unproven among top teams. I agree with your point about Ionescu & PAC-12.
Weakest of the P5 conferences still better than AAC.

Reaction Score
Weakest of the P5 conferences still better than AAC.

AAC teams are getting better. UConn is in the ACC, but isn't UConn ranked #2 in the polls and in the NCAA tournament championship conversation every year? I would submit that the best player on the best team in the tournament will deservedly win the NPOY.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
AAC teams are getting better. UConn is in the ACC, but isn't UConn ranked #2 in the polls and in the NCAA tournament championship conversation every year? I would submit that the best player on the best team in the tournament will deservedly win the NPOY.
Don't see how AAC teams are getting better.
Didn't realize that UCONN had joined the ACC.
Tournament play does not count for NPOY awards.
If the best player on the best team in the tournament wins the NPOY award that would be Kalani Brown of Baylor, no?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To further amplify your remarks, the 10 member WBCA AA team, as well as the COY, have already been selected by the D1 coaches. The “Selection Committe” will meet at some point to name the NPOY (Wade Trophy), DPOY & NFOY. It is my understanding that this meeting takes place just prior to the FF, when all the coaches who make up the Selection Committee will be together in the host city, Orlando in this instance.

Since this meeting doesn’t take place until the week of the FF, it is possible for the Selection Committee to consider the performance of players during the first 4 rounds of the tournament.

Correct me if I am wrong but irregardless of the voting date of a particular award, is it not part of the mandate that only the regular season is to be considered?

Post season play has it's own series of awards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but irregardless of the voting date of a particular award, is it not part of the mandate that only the regular season is to be considered?

Post season play has it's own series of awards.
I’ve never heard that. But even if the WBCA committee that chooses the NPOY is supposed to ignore post season play, and they don’t meet until just prior to the FF, how do they ignore what happened the prior two weekends?

Reaction Score
Correction made. I saw more competitive games from SF and UCF vs UConn. I don't tell you what you see. It's just my perception.

Reaction Score
I’ve never heard that. But even if the WBCA committee that chooses the NPOY is supposed to ignore post season play, and they don’t meet until just prior to the FF, how do they ignore what happened the prior two weekends?

Lobo talked about this recently. I believe by post season, it’s the NCAA tournament.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It’s all opinion. If you favor stats you go Gustafson. Records & hype, Ionescu. Player that does the most on both sides of the court on the best team of the 3, Pheesa. Each voter may value different things. Will be a very tough decision.

That’s a pretty fair and smart summary. While I am a big fan of Gustafson, I can’t image her bringing the ball up court against pressure, as Pheesa often does. On the other hand, Pheesa doesn’t power-mash the ball to the rim like Megan does.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes but Stewie was also on far and away the best team in CBB her Junior & Senior seasons. If UConn went undefeated or even only lost to Louisville I think Pheesa would runway with all the awards.

I think it will come down to Ionescu and Collier. Both players compliment their teammates, as well as score, play defense, rebound and record a number of assists. Durr is a shooter plain and simple. Has Durr recorded a double-double this season?

Reaction Score
Easy - they use the Men in Black memory eraser stick

Neuralyzer

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I absolutely marvel at her (Megan Gustafson) ability to fight off virtually constant double teams to establish position (a seal, getting to a desired place), then get the ball and execute a perfect shot. All power to Megan and her coaches for her ability to hit that sweep hook from both the left and right.

I only saw a highlight film of her 45-point performance, but her moves around the basket remind me a lot of Kevin McHale, the former Celtic great. I think most of those kinds of moves are self taught by the player trying to adjust to every defensive obstacle, some are simply spontaneous reactions that require a lot of creativity on the players' part. Not saying that coaching hasn't helped though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am surprised there is no mention of Jackie Young. I love the way she plays and she doesn't seem to have a weak spot.
Young may be the most complete player in the ACC. Unfortunately there is an unwritten rule, or perhaps it’s a written rule, that the only players considered for NPOY are their respective conference POY’s. So the various NPOY awards will go to one of six players: Durr, McGowan, Gustafson, Carleton, Ionescu or Pheesa.

Reaction Score
Young may be the most complete player in the ACC. Unfortunately there is an unwritten rule, or perhaps it’s a written rule, that the only players considered for NPOY are their respective conference POY’s. So the various NPOY awards will go to one of six players: Durr, McGowan, Gustafson, Carleton, Ionescu or Pheesa.

Below is a list of Conference & National POY since the inception of the Big 12 in 1996-97 Season

1552776387082.png

• 1997-98 Ticha Penicherio won the Wade playing for Old Dominion in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA)
  • 1999-00 Tameka Catchings won the Naismith but not SEC POY (Kelly Miller)
  • 1999-00 Edwina Brown won the Wade but not Big 12 POY (Phylesha Whaley)
  • 2000-01 Jackie Stiles won the Wade playing for Southwest Missouri State in the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC)
Since the Wooden Award was introduced in 2004
  • 2007-08 Candace Parker won both the Naismith and Wooden but not SEC POY (Sylvia Fowles)
  • 2009-10 Maya Moore won the Wade but not Big East POY (Tina Charles)

Must have been written after 2010. ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am sort of astounded by comments I think are ilinformed. Massey has conference ratings and the SEC who may get 7 teams in (yuk) is the least of the P5. A women named Aja Wilson won the award last year and I think she was well deserving and she didn’t “bring the call up the court”. For that matter Pheesa only occasionally will do that and usually only on a afast break she is not a primary ball handler, more than capable but not a primary.
To disparage Ms. Gustafson as “stats only” tells me that you haven’t seen her game or how she truly dominated that league. Sabrina dominated the PAC12 with Smith and Anigwe as close 2nd/3rds. Pheesa was by far and away the best AAC player with KLS the next best by far and away. Heck Crystal Dangerfield was probably 3rd.
My understanding is conference tournaments are part of the regular season as that determines the right to represent the league in the NCAA Tournament. So votes would be submitted now.
Lastly, my vote would be for Pheesa but I know I am biased. :rolleyes:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I look at it three ways.

Based on stats and overall individual effort.... Gustafson.

Based on "if this player isn't here, this team would completely fall apart," I'd have Collier way ahead, with McCowan 2nd.

The main thing putting McCowan 2nd to Collier is that T has a lot of help this year making her presence not as important for most of the average games, but for BIG games Mississippi State is a completely different team without her, and pretty much most people agree that if you find some way to limit McCowan, Mississippi State isn't gonna run away with it. But Collier is distinguished based on the fact that she's stepped into the go-to player role for UConn, and she seems to always rise above and pick up the load when her teammates are struggling. And that's what I'd call Michael Jordan-esque.

Speaking of help, Kalani Brown is unique in one aspect - as her teammates alone can probably beat the entire Big 12 without her. Though the help she's getting is obviously not contributing to her stats.

My dark horse choice would be Sophie Cunningham. Not that she's gonna win POY, but I think she's one of those players that in a better situation would probably be in contention for the award, and she obviously is first-team All-American talent.

(I don't have a final choice. I'll leave it up to the media, really.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom