POY | The Boneyard

POY

Reaction Score
I don't know when the vote for Player of the Year takes place, but if it's after NCAA Tournament play is complete, I think Sabrina Ionescu, Napheesa Collier or Megan Gustafson will win it based on whose team goes the farthest in the tournament.

Reaction Score
The voting is done before the tournament begins.
I keep hearing on the BY that Sabrina has already been chosen. How has this selection process been performed?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I keep hearing on the BY that Sabrina has already been chosen. How has this selection process been performed?
I think what you have heard from a few here on the BY is the whine of the sour grapes bunch. The award has yet to be granted.

Reaction Score
I don't know when the vote for Player of the Year takes place
I believe there are 3-4 major POY Awards. AP, Wade, Naismith, Wooden & 2 others..USA Today, ESPNW. Fan Voting (accounts for 5%) doesn’t start for Naismith until March 22 & ends a day before the FF. Not sure if the actual committee has to have their votes in before then? Otherwise winner could be decided during the regional. I believe every award other than Wooden is announced at the FF.

Reaction Score

No, the selection hasn't been announced. I don't think the voting has even happened yet. Some on her think she's the "chosen" one because ESPN picked her at the beginning of the season. If you listen to some of the voters, it's up in the air. That the awards could be split between 2 or 3 different players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe there are 3-4 major POY Awards. AP, Wade, Naismith, Wooden & 2 others..USA Today, ESPNW. Fan Voting (accounts for 5%) doesn’t start for Naismith until March 22 & ends a day before the FF. Not sure if the actual committee has to have their votes in before then? Otherwise winner could be decided during the regional. I believe every award other than Wooden is announced at the FF.
I could easily see a split of the awards this year like in 2014 when Odyssey Sims and Stewie split the awards.
Don't know how you can exclude Gustafson who is leading the country in scoring and is 4th in rebounding.

Reaction Score
Ionescu is a very talented player. But with the lost to Stanford and the #1 seed, that some attributed to Sabrina, that would influence some voters. Gustafson is another great player who carried her team. And of course our Pheesa is also in the conversation. See the post by oldude for NPOY, quite convincing with lot of statistics. It's will be quite interesting to see how it will all turned out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My concern and the concern of other Boneyarders is that voters made up their minds too early, like before the season started. Voting has not taken place yet, but some voters have decided. Hopefully, none decided until the end of the season, which is this week. It's not based on who excelled last year or who looks great in November and December, but on who has the best campaign from mid-November to mid-March.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I could easily see a split of the awards this year like in 2014 when Odyssey Sims and Stewie split the awards.
Don't know how you can exclude Gustafson who is leading the country in scoring and is 4th in rebounding.
Leading the country in both scoring AND field goal percentage. Has anyone ever done that??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For several of the awards, voting runs through the 2nd weekend of the tournament, and as I suggest in another post, while NPOY is an individual award, it is inextricably linked to a team’s performance. So any top player who’s team makes it to the FF should have an advantage over those who don’t.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Do we know the exact voting dates for each of the awards?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do we know the exact voting dates for each of the awards?
I just checked the WBCA website, and while it discusses in some detail the process to nominate and vote for AA and POY, it doesn’t list any dates. It is my understanding that voting takes place through and including the Regionals. The Award winners are always announced on the off day between the national semifinals and finals.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just checked the WBCA website, and while it discusses in some detail the process to nominate and vote for AA and POY, it doesn’t list any dates. It is my understanding that voting takes place through and including the Regionals. The Award winners are always announced on the off day between the national semifinals and finals.
I believe I recall the day of the announcements. I was surprised to hear that the voting considered any of the NCAA tourney. It appears that the cut-off dates vary. In close voting, that may help decide the winner.

Reaction Score
According to WBCA their voting for last year’s AA team ended March 4 - before any first-round NCAA tournament games. Voting end dates for Wade and other individual awards are shown as “ N/A.” Another site does say that the Wade winner is selected from the 10-member WBCA AA team - not their “Watch List,” which is merely created informally to generate interest. Still looking for 2019.

Awards at a Glance

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ionescu is a very talented player. But with the lost to Stanford and the #1 seed, that some attributed to Sabrina, that would influence some voters. Gustafson is another great player who carried her team. And of course our Pheesa is also in the conversation. See the post by oldude for NPOY, quite convincing with lot of statistics. It's will be quite interesting to see how it will all turned out.

I'd like to see oldude's post about NPOY. What is the name of post?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Leading the country in both scoring AND field goal percentage. Has anyone ever done that??

I absolutely marvel at her (Megan Gustafson) ability to fight off virtually constant double teams to establish position (a seal, getting to a desired place), then get the ball and execute a perfect shot. All power to Megan and her coaches for her ability to hit that sweep hook from both the left and right.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd like to see oldude's post about NPOY. What is the name of post?
I believe warbler is referring to my OP for the thread entitled, “Pheesa is on a Mission!”

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think it's a toss up between Collier, Ionescu and Gustafson. Iowa being a 2 seed with Megan's ridiculous numbers puts her strongly in the mix. Collier has been sensational all year, and the frontrunner Ionescu isn't the obvious pick anymore with her team's struggles as of late.

Also think McCowan, Smith, Ogunbowale and Durr are close but just a step behind the top 3.

Reaction Score
It’s all opinion. If you favor stats you go Gustafson. Records & hype, Ionescu. Player that does the most on both sides of the court on the best team of the 3, Pheesa. Each voter may value different things. Will be a very tough decision.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
According to WBCA their voting for last year’s AA team ended March 4 - before any first-round NCAA tournament games. Voting end dates for Wade and other individual awards are shown as “ N/A.” Another site does say that the Wade winner is selected from the 10-member WBCA AA team - not their “Watch List,” which is merely created informally to generate interest. Still looking for 2019.

Awards at a Glance
To further amplify your remarks, the 10 member WBCA AA team, as well as the COY, have already been selected by the D1 coaches. The “Selection Committe” will meet at some point to name the NPOY (Wade Trophy), DPOY & NFOY. It is my understanding that this meeting takes place just prior to the FF, when all the coaches who make up the Selection Committee will be together in the host city, Orlando in this instance.

Since this meeting doesn’t take place until the week of the FF, it is possible for the Selection Committee to consider the performance of players during the first 4 rounds of the tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s all opinion. If you favor stats you go Gustafson. Records & hype, Ionescu. Player that does the most on both sides of the court on the best team of the 3, Pheesa. Each voter may value different things. Will be a very tough decision.
For what it’s worth, with all the NPOY awards Stewie won, she never lead the NCAA in a single statistical category, with the exception of championships won, a stat she shared with Mo and Tuck.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It's quite possible that Collier's performance during the American Conference tournament in Samuelson's absence was notable enough to push her over the top. She had a heck of a series, and was the "go to" player that Geno said the team needed that weekend. Dangerfield was the straw that stirred the drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, with all the NPOY awards Stewie won, she never lead the NCAA in a single statistical category, with the exception of championships won, a stat she shared with Mo and Tuck.
Yes but Stewie was also on far and away the best team in CBB her Junior & Senior seasons. If UConn went undefeated or even only lost to Louisville I think Pheesa would runway with all the awards.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Hey there: Yes, I noted you also said "on the best team of the 3," which I'll leave up to individual posters and/or current ratings.

However, just want to point out Ms. Gustafson is just not a stat stuffer: she was voted to the First Team Defensive B1G team, as well.

One can say she is the primary driver on both sides of the court on that team. Like you and many have said, it will be a tough decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom