• Sabrina Ionescu

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Kelsey Mitchell

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I voted for KLS, I believe that she is the BEST all around player in the game. As for A'ja, I think that she gets away with so many fouls that if only half of them were called she would still foul out sometime in the 3rd qtr. Almost every game she has 4 to 5 over the back fouls that AREN'T even called.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was thinking her assists, rebounds and how she was/was not moving the ball as much. I will rewatch to see if my memory is continuing to fade...:confused:

I think you're correct then. It's impossible to have assists if your teammates aren't scoring. Stanford closed the game on a 10-0 run I think, so the whole team faded down the stretch. Ionescu tried to take over the game w/ scoring but McPhee out did her in that department.

Reaction Score
I was not going to weigh in on this topic because of the obvious bias of this board, but i cannot believe some of the suggestions that Wilson is just a great athlete and not skilled. Aja can score inside and out. She is a very good shooter from the high post amd pinch post short corner area. Sje cam bring the ball up the court and normally no player her size can take it away from her. She is an excellent rebounder and keads the SEC in blocks. Though she did not have a great game agaimst Uconn she posted a double/double whole double and triple teamed during the game depending on whi was on the court for SC. When has the right talent around her she is dominant because teams cannot focus the entire game plan on stopping her, something Geno alluded to in his press conference after the gsme when asked about her. As for McCowan Aja outscored her and was dominating her through 3qtrs but with no help from Jennings and other posts that night she simplly ran out of Gas. Similar to Lebron James the first half of this NBA yr, he is clearly the best player but when his team is a hot mess he is going to take losses. This is an opinion shared by even pro Uconn players. See Sue Birds assessment of Aja Wilson posted on the USA bball page yesterday. NPOY has to demand special treatment amd you will not find one college coach today that plays her one on one. She is always double, triple, or im Mizzou case quadruple teamed.
Don't worry - we aren't the voters. Of course we do know BETTER than the voters :D but A'ja is safe for now.

Reaction Score
I too think that A'ja Wilson will win, unless KLS has a monster end to the season. I voted for KLS, however. A'ja is a physical presence and dominant force for most games in college, but KLS clearly has more upside than Wilson. Wilson doesn't have the size to be a dominant post in the pros, nor the speed and skills to be a dominant guard. She will have to model her game after Alyssa Thomas and play the four (imo) to be a franchise player, but Alyssa Thomas is way better than Wilson is now, imo, just considering passing skills. Of course, Wilson can improve in many areas with time, but I believe past player of the year winners left college better all around than Wilson is now. However, we do have to remember that Wilson is not on a great team, and that can really bias a perception of her. I would struggle too if I were in her position!
KLS has more upside and is (perhaps) truly the better player because of her size at the wing position. It's amazing to see in the college game, and she will have an immediate impact at the pro level, imo. Coming off a screen, she's nearly unguardable, and her shooting form and percentage makes her the best shooter in WCBB since Maya Moore. I think her defense and rebounding are fine, and she's a more physical player than people give her credit. I was incredibly impressed with the way she played against Texas. She basically willed UCONN to a victory, which is saying a lot. Regardless of whether she wins this year, I think she'll certainly win next year.
KML had the best form and IMO the best outside shooter in Uconn history!

Reaction Score
I was not going to weigh in on this topic because of the obvious bias of this board, but i cannot believe some of the suggestions that Wilson is just a great athlete and not skilled. Aja can score inside and out. She is a very good shooter from the high post amd pinch post short corner area. Sje cam bring the ball up the court and normally no player her size can take it away from her. She is an excellent rebounder and keads the SEC in blocks. Though she did not have a great game agaimst Uconn she posted a double/double whole double and triple teamed during the game depending on whi was on the court for SC. When has the right talent around her she is dominant because teams cannot focus the entire game plan on stopping her, something Geno alluded to in his press conference after the gsme when asked about her. As for McCowan Aja outscored her and was dominating her through 3qtrs but with no help from Jennings and other posts that night she simplly ran out of Gas. Similar to Lebron James the first half of this NBA yr, he is clearly the best player but when his team is a hot mess he is going to take losses. This is an opinion shared by even pro Uconn players. See Sue Birds assessment of Aja Wilson posted on the USA bball page yesterday. NPOY has to demand special treatment amd you will not find one college coach today that plays her one on one. She is always double, triple, or im Mizzou case quadruple teamed.
Aja has not had 1 POY game against Uconn in her four years! If she could make an outside shot it might of helped her against Uconn. Instead of forcing shots when being double or triple teamed. She needs to kick the ball out to the open players. POY canidate would be doing that!

Reaction Score
Last year Kia hardly played because of injury. Napheesa sat alot foul trouble. Lou had a bad game and they still won by double digits. Ajas freshmen year she wasnt injured and Morgan and Stewie had their way with the SC bigs. Her Sophmore year she was injured. I think shin splints but again Uconn was up 20 before winning by 12. This year my post before this one.

Reaction Score
Aja has not had 1 POY game against Uconn in her four years! If she could make an outside shot it might of helped her against Uconn. Instead of forcing shots when being double or triple teamed. She needs to kick the ball out to the open players. POY canidate would be doing that!
I don't think you have a POY effort against UConn as your qualifier. As you know in many of those games UConn had higher rated players at every position besides hers, and that lack of balance of power affects the game. In no game did she not represent herself as someone who needed extra attention. Ask your coach. You did not answer the question of which team plays her one on one. I know people here like to cherry pick her faults but I could do that with any of the players you mention. She has had something like 20 double/doubles this year. Look at her output when she plays internationally when she has like talent surrounding her. Also, for those who question her pro ability and upside, I would suggest you go back and look at her performance in Santa Barbara with the National Team Camp. I will take the opinion of college coaches across the country to include Geno's on Aja's talent and worthiness for NPOY, Olympics and as a WNBA professional

Reaction Score
I don't think you have a POY effort against UConn as your qualifier. As you know in many of those games UConn had higher rated players at every position besides hers, and that lack of balance of power affects the game. In no game did she not represent herself as someone who needed extra attention. Ask your coach. You did not answer the question of which team plays her one on one. I know people here like to cherry pick her faults but I could do that with any of the players you mention. She has had something like 20 double/doubles this year. Look at her output when she plays internationally when she has like talent surrounding her. Also, for those who question her pro ability and upside, I would suggest you go back and look at her performance in Santa Barbara with the National Team Camp. I will take the opinion of college coaches across the country to include Geno's on Aja's talent and worthiness for NPOY, Olympics and as a WNBA professional
With double and triple teams she should average more than 1 assist a game. Gabby played her straight up last year and out played her! IMO her numbers are the result of Alaina Coates not in her way this year! I said from her freshmen year that Coates clogged the lane and made the offense stagnant! Dawn and her asst. didnt recognize this on their own! Coates injury opened up the offense for them! By the way your College Coach Staley called her first time out against Uconn with 1:51 left in the half down by 28! As soon as the lead reached 10 I would have called a timeout!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You are acting like your coach doesn't run everything for Wilson. The fact that Wilson struggles because she has no outside game is the problem. If she had an outside game she would be able to move better on offense. If she was a better passer she would be able to get her teammates easy buckets when she was double teamed. These are some of the skills she is going to need at the next level as everyone is taller and longer.

Reaction Score
Oh wilson supporting ast is not as strong this year as in the past therefore she is an easy target for scouting reports. Real basketball minds know the talent of a Wilson which is why not only will she be NPOY, she will also be the #1 pick in tbis years draft as validated a recent pole of all of the GMs of the current WNBA teams. Hate all you want, i don't think the opinion of fans outweigh the opinions of those who make their living in this business.

Reaction Score
In the USA recent basketball training camp in Santa Barbara Wilson look like she belonged and was an effective scorer, defender, and shot blocker. These were the best of the best abd she fared eruh well. I think her play tbere speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
Oh wilson supporting ast is not as strong this year as in the past therefore she is an easy target for scouting reports. Real basketball minds know the talent of a Wilson which is why not only will she be NPOY, she will also be the #1 pick in tbis years draft as validated a recent pole of all of the GMs of the current WNBA teams. Hate all you want, i don't think the opinion of fans outweigh the opinions of those who make their living in this business.
Does NPOY go to the best player or to the player having the best season?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Might get a split this year. But for sure Wilson will garner at least a couple NPOY awards.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was not going to weigh in on this topic because of the obvious bias of this board, but i cannot believe some of the suggestions that Wilson is just a great athlete and not skilled. Aja can score inside and out. She is a very good shooter from the high post amd pinch post short corner area. Sje cam bring the ball up the court and normally no player her size can take it away from her. She is an excellent rebounder and keads the SEC in blocks. Though she did not have a great game agaimst Uconn she posted a double/double whole double and triple teamed during the game depending on whi was on the court for SC.
upload_2018-2-11_0-4-20.jpeg

Reaction Score
Sorry for the spelling errors but i am on a phone. Aja has always been effective in big games sans this years Uconn game though 16 and 16 would not be considered bad as outmanned as she was. Remember last years game went to the final four minutes with Gray and Davis having horrible games. Her freshman year she played well before being injured and taking out. I like Katie Lou but she has had periods where her shot has been off and some of those games(last yrs semifinal and gsmes earlier this season) are in line with any of Aja's off nights.
I think your comments to some degree balance out an overreaction here about Wilson.
On the other hand I think your comments are overstating her play. She is very skilled and talented for sure, but not matching up with the hype and expectations.
I agree she doesn't have a strong supporting cast but if she was playing as well as a consensus POY they wouldn't already have five losses and get totally blown out by U Conn.
So I agree the field is open and the remainder of the season and the big games to come will point this decision in the right direction.
Bronx23

Reaction Score

I think Aja is a tremendous player and you make very fair and valid points. One area I disagree with is the UConn game. The first 5 minutes I was like wow Aja came to play. Afterwards not so much and she should have finished with less than 10 points if not for phantom calls getting her to the line.

Lou's scoring average is skewed because of coming out early of at least one game with foot injury (3 points) and in most games she is not even playing the forth quarters. Also having so many other scoring options can also hurt because she often defers when other top players need to take more shots.

That said, I think its close and Aja is a worthy candidate...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
KLS with my heart, but my vote goes to SI

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wilson will absolutely be the #1 Pick. That said, she is also having a very good year as every team makes it their game plan to stop her. My view is the POY should make their team better like Kelsey Plum, Stewie, DT, Sue Bird, Candace Parker as lead examples. While SC was crippled by one key injury to Bianca Cuevas-Moore, there is still talent on that team and I think A’ja comes up a bit short in making them better, and her team better.
She was preordained to get annoited as POY beginning last year before Plum surprised everyone.

I view A’ja almost similar to Kelsey Mitchell-unbelievable individual talent that is murky on their ability to elevate their teammates games. At least Wilson led her team to a title last year.

If KLS or Asia play really well tomorrow, they could be in serious consideration. It’s a 4 person race right now Wilson, KLS, Vivians and Durr in that order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom