POY Watch List Stats-Early Season Edition | The Boneyard

POY Watch List Stats-Early Season Edition

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As this question was asked on the UConn/Seton Hall Badass thread, I put together a quick sheet of the known top players. Advise if I am missing anyone who legitimately could win-for example don't give me Jessica Shepard, who while a very good player is second or 3rd fiddle on her team.

Here's the list sorted by Position, by last name.
WCBB POY.PNG

Rebounds are great but the Turnovers and low assists some of the Posts have are deterrents in my mind, but then again, I am biased...:rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
As this question was asked on the UConn/Seton Hall Badass thread, I put together a quick sheet of the known top players. Advise if I am missing anyone who legitimately could win-for example don't give me Jessica Shepard, who while a very good player is second or 3rd fiddle on her team.

View attachment 37281

Rebounds are great but the Turnovers and low assists some of the Posts have are deterrents in my mind, but then again, I am biased...:rolleyes:

Thoughts?
Half of that list probably have a reasonable chance to win it and so much depends on how they and their teams do in their top matchups, most of which haven’t happened yet. Ask again in a month. A few that I think have no chance for various reasons...Anigwe, Brown, Gustafson and Carter. And a certain Notre Damr player may have disqualified herself for behavioral reasons.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

View attachment 37281

Thoughts?

It's early and a lot of players have inflated numbers right now. The only post with a lot of TOs is Anigwe. Assists are great but when you're a true post and automatic inside like Brown, McCowan or Gustafson you dont need a lot of assists. It's early but I'd say the KLS/Collier/Arike/Ionescu/McCowan would be the early top 5 in no particular order. Kalani Brown's numbers should go up as they face tougher competition.

Reaction Score
Ionescu has three huge advantages. Triple-doubles get headlines, her coach happily lets her pad her statistics, and she gets the credit for turning a mediocre program into a contender. Who knows - she might even be the best player . . .

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Ionescu will have advantages due to Oregon's style of play. However she's disadvantaged playing on the left coast where many of the voters will not see her play. Oregon will have to use a media blitz all season to keep her in the voters mind. Similar to what Washington did with Kelsey Plum. I don't think Ionescu is in the running to break any national record(s) so that won't help.

I would think KLS and/or Collier could be in the running if UConn is able to go undefeated to the tournament. After that I would go with Durr, Ogunbowale, Brown and then McCowan

Reaction Score
For fun, why not plug in the Fan Duel scoring for the NBA into your spreadsheet and see what you come up with.

Here is the scoring method.

3-Point Shots Made +1
Assist +1.5
Blocks +3
Field Goals Made +2
Free Throws Made +1
Rebounds +1.2
Steals +3
Turnovers -1

Reaction Score
By the end of the season, I believe Destiny Slocum could very well be added to the POY list.

Reaction Score
This all hinges on Collier stopping McCowan and Brown in the low post. In general, if she can stop these dominate low post teams and still perform like the offensive monster she has been, then it's pretty obvious who should win POY. If this doesn't happen, then the flood gates will open down low on UConn. That's a big task for an undersized Collier.

Reaction Score
I think Samuelson has a shot if she can raise her shooting percentages to 50% from the field and 45% plus from 3. Likewise, she needs to have big games against Baylor and Louisville since the AAC isn’t going to bring media attention to our AA players like the power 5 conferences will.

Reaction Score
By the end of the season, I believe Destiny Slocum could very well be added to the POY list.

Hard for a PG where the team keeps making "one more" passes and which is loaded with shooters. She won't be near the leaders for her position in points or assists. Winning the National POY requires headlines - Sabrina breaking the triple-double record as a sophomore gave her a bunch and will keep getting her attention. Destiny won't have that.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Half of that list probably have a reasonable chance to win it and so much depends on how they and their teams do in their top matchups, most of which haven’t happened yet. Ask again in a month. A few that I think have no chance for various reasons...Anigwe, Brown, Gustafson and Carter. And a certain Notre Damr player may have disqualified herself for behavioral reasons.
I beg to differ...ESPN will continue to endorse her every chance they get and I really don't think that others are aware of her behavior in the UConn game because, again, even if they watched the game, ESPN didn't really discuss her behavior. For instance, the midcourt hip check/trip was mentioned in real time but I think that they "thought" that CD just fell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom