POY candidates | The Boneyard

POY candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Griner had a nice game, but not huge numbers. Baylor won handily.

Nneka put her team on her back, as they struggled with Gonzaga. She had 33 and 18.

Elena had big numbers for Delaware, including 28 at the half.

Skylar had a nice game, including 7 assists.

I had thought that Griner would win the POY award hands down. However, Nneka may be to Stanford what Maya was to UConn last year. She may be right there with Britney in the voting. It will be an interesting season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
obviously 1 game is far too soon to talk about that but i do think Nneka has a sensational year. i think it will come down to a close vote between the 4 you mentioned.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Nneka put her team on her back, as they struggled with Gonzaga. She had 33 and 18.

eek.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When was the last time a winner came from a team that wasnt in the top 5 of the country? Jackie Stiles?? Or did she even win a POY award?

Reaction Score
Ms Stiles was, in fact, the State Farm WBCA and the Wade Trophy winner. Southwest Missouri was a Final Four team in 2001.

I do agree that Elena Della Donne has to climb a significant hurdle to garner a POY Award.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Ms Stiles was, in fact, the State Farm WBCA and the Wade Trophy winner. Southwest Missouri was a Final Four team in 2001.

I do agree that Elena Della Donne has to climb a significant hurdle to garner a POY Award.

I saw an action picture of EDD a few days ago --

and she has added some serious muscle to her body. She has been spending a lot of hours in the weight room. She looked fantastic and happy and healthy -- and like she was really serious about being the best basketball player she can be.

OH, WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN, had she come to UConn. But I am really happy that she is doing well on the path she has chosen.

OLYMPIC TEAM ?????????????????????????????????????

Tine will tell. I hope so.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

and she has added some serious muscle to her body. She has been spending a lot of hours in the weight room. She looked fantastic and happy and healthy -- and like she was really serious about being the best basketball player she can be.

OH, WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN, had she come to UConn. But I am really happy that she is doing well on the path she has chosen.

Delaware plays at Wake Forest I think in December. I wonder if its worth a 30 minute drive just to see her play.

Reaction Score
Delaware plays at Wake Forest I think in December. I wonder if its worth a 30 minute drive just to see her play.

If you do, fill us in. I am contemplating a one hour trip to see Delaware play at William and Mary on 2/29.

Reaction Score
When was the last time a winner came from a team that wasnt in the top 5 of the country? Jackie Stiles?? Or did she even win a POY award?

Jackie won the Wade Trophy for best female basketball player in the nation, and the Broderick cup for college women athlete of the year in 2001.

Reaction Score

I had thought that Griner would win the POY award hands down. However, Nneka may be to Stanford what Maya was to UConn last year. She may be right there with Britney in the voting. It will be an interesting season.

Stanford struggled in the first half. We were up by 10, then let em back to go up by 1 at the half. We then went up by 20 and just worn them down. Chiney had a nice game too with 17 pts. Gonzaga is very well coached, a smart, fundamental team that can shoot. Shocked they are not ranked.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm thinking of driving 10 minutes to watch EDD play at Villanova on Nov 22. I'll report on the game if I'm able to go.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

What could have been? Maybe 120+ wins and 6 championships in a row?

I think she has a good shot at being a 2016 Olympian. 2012 is too soon.

Playing at Delaware, she is unlikely to win the POY. But I would not be surprised if she is an AP 1st team AA.

Reaction Score

bingo.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

In Elena's senior year of high school, she played in the Springfield, MA game. I drove 3 hours from Vermont to see her play. and it was definitely worth it.

She was, at age 17, an exceptional person. She carried herself with great dignity and humility. And her basketball talents were a pleasure to watch.

I have been rooting for her ever since.

30 minutes? It's a no-brainer.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
well.. Griner only played 22 minutes.

You can't garner points by sitting on the bench while your team beats another by 60.

Nneka had to play how many minutes...? at home, against an unranked Gonzaga?

I think Stanford is going to lose many games this year.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Nneka played 35 minutes against an unranked opponent in Gonzaga in Maples Pavilion....

nice numbers, but i guarantee if you leave Griner in there for 35 minutes she would score over 40 points... like the NCAA tournament last season.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Griner is part of the National Team and is an unmatched talent at the College level, this year especially.

Reaction Score
Nneka played 35 minutes against an unranked opponent in Gonzaga in Maples Pavilion....

nice numbers, but i guarantee if you leave Griner in there for 35 minutes she would score over 40 points... like the NCAA tournament last season.

I have no doubt about that. The pt was about Nneka putting her team on her back, just like Griner, Maya, and other All Americans have done. It's expected. What's also expected is getting your team to the Final Four. Nneka's been there 3 times.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I have my doubts about Nneka carrying her team to a final four this year for sure, even though its awkwardly expected of her.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I guess we will see if she can carry a team through UCONN, Xavier, and Tenn for the non conference schedule at least. I love WCBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom