Power Football and Great D | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Power Football and Great D

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
I don't know. I heard the B!G doesn't have the players or talent or speed to compete with the SEC or PAC10

UO got blown out by 20, clearly they had no business being in the game. :rolleyes:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
No comparison to Ezekiel Elliot. He is a very special, Elite running back. He's old enough but he has to play one more year which is a stupid rule, especially because of the short career running backs have in the NFL.

Also a standout track & field athlete, Elliott was a state qualifier in sprinting and hurdling events. He capped his high school career by winning four state championships at the Missouri Class 3 state championships in 2-1/2 hours (100-meter dash, 200, 110 high hurdles and 300 hurdles).[3] He recorded career-best times of 10.95 seconds in the 100-meter dash, 22.05 seconds in the 200-meter dash, 13.77 seconds in the 110m hurdles and 37.52 seconds in the 300m hurdles.[4]

That dude was a boss. Tremendous balance and very difficult to bring down. Looks like a better version of Donald Brown.

Reaction Score
Oregon recruits for speed over power. Running as many plays as possible on offense also means your linemen have to be in really good shape and are not necessarily the strongest. The problem that Oregon faces is that when they meet a power team with just enough speed, they have trouble. Stanford has given Oregon good games with their power offense and strong D. Oregon's offense works against good teams that are not prepared and teams with less talent and they can run up the scores.

As for defense, Oregon's defense was not big enough or strong enough to match up with Ohio St.

You know, size wise there is not a huge difference on various college lines. Speed, Strength,Quickness, instincts, IQ and of course line depth are huge. But if your really look at the size of FBS teams, there is not a huge difference. Oregon and Ohio State were almost the same on the O line and Oregon was bigger on the D line than Ohio State. UCONN's numbers are right up there with those teams. Now talent...eh that's another discussion.

Offensive Line
Ohio State 6'5" 295
Oregon 6'5" 294
Alabama 6/5" 306
UCONN 6/5" 290

Defensive Line (depending on 3/4 or 4/3

Ohio State 6'4" 278
Oregon 6'6" 283
Alabama 6/3" 290
UCONN 6/3" 277

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
OK...so....Houston has gone 8-5 the last two years and yet they need to get back to a "culture of winning"? Did Herman say that? (I couldn't get the link to work)
Back to back 8-5 years got their coach fired. The message is clear. Anyone HOPING for a way out of the G5, better not settle for middling FB records.

Reaction Score
OK...so....Houston has gone 8-5 the last two years and yet they need to get back to a "culture of winning"? Did Herman say that? (I couldn't get the link to work)

Twitter links seem to break... http://footballscoop.com/news/tom-herman-successful-football-offense-defense-run/

“People have won national championships running all different kinds of offenses and all different kinds of defenses. That’s not what it’s all about, although I do think that it’s a selling point for individual players, I think more so, you sell the culture of winning.”

It was my editorial comment about "we" (UConn) need to get back to a "culture of winning". Sorry for the confusion.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
No comparison to Ezekiel Elliot. He is a very special, Elite running back. He's old enough but he has to play one more year which is a stupid rule, especially because of the short career running backs have in the NFL.

Also a standout track & field athlete, Elliott was a state qualifier in sprinting and hurdling events. He capped his high school career by winning four state championships at the Missouri Class 3 state championships in 2-1/2 hours (100-meter dash, 200, 110 high hurdles and 300 hurdles).[3] He recorded career-best times of 10.95 seconds in the 100-meter dash, 22.05 seconds in the 200-meter dash, 13.77 seconds in the 110m hurdles and 37.52 seconds in the 300m hurdles.[4]

You can keep saying it but you're wrong: Elliot has not been out of high school three years so therefore he can't go pro. And the difference between him and Royce Freeman is very small and if they switched teams the outcome would have been the same.

Reaction Score
Except meyer runs a lot of zone read, spread stuff. Other than that, the OP has a great point.

Yup, also a lot of motion and misdirection. They had a fly sweep runner running across the field pre-snap on a majority of plays. It's Trick Em football as much as it is power football. There is no reason why we cannot do that successfully next year with Sheriffs at QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can keep saying it but you're wrong: Elliot has not been out of high school three years so therefore he can't go pro. And the difference between him and Royce Freeman is very small and if they switched teams the outcome would have been the same.

The rule pertains to the number of years out of high school and I agree he doesn't qualify. As stated earlier, he is a very special running back and if he could should turn pro NOW. Here is a good article on the subject. Particular note is a running back career in the NFL averages 2.5 years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ohio-state-ezekiel-elliott-nfl-draft-rule-2015-1

Reaction Score
Schemes like the spread/air raid/zone read option were devised for teams with lesser talent to compete against more talented opponents. Saban and Meyer are able to win with pro style attacks because they are unbelievable recruiters and constantly have recruiting classes in the top ten. Talent > Scheme wins 90% of the time

When you say pro style, I hope you don't mean some archaic two back, I formation nonsense, because those guys aren't running that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom