Power Conferences in Football occurring in WBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Power Conferences in Football occurring in WBB

Reaction Score
That team would have to have had either a great OOC run or had some major injuries during PAC play which would have to be looked at very closely, but I believe that would never happen because there is only one team in the PAC that could possibly do that and Tara would never go 8 - 10 in the PAC.
It's called hypothetical. The point was that you cannot have an absolute rule about conference records because there can be exceptions
If they have their own tournament where does that leave the Big East. If you are a top player where do you want to play? The beauty of the tournament is the upsets by the non P5 teams. Of they course it’s likely this get ruined also for money.
Not "for money." It's "BECAUSE OF" money.

Remember, wbb teams do not make money off the tourney.

Yes, an argument can be made that UConn and SCar do in the long run. Stanford loses money hand over fist on the tournament

Reaction Score
Still the conferences should be limited to no more than 6, tournament champ and 5 other teams. That would give the power 5 30 teams in a 68 field team. No team with a losing record should get an at-large bid, the only way they should get in is win the conference tournament.
I like the idea of restricting the number a bids a conference can get. Either 6 or half the teams in the conference as a max. Why should the 7th or 8th best team in a league get a bid over the 2nd best team in a mid-major league? Some P5 schools don't want to play a strong mid-major team, or will only play them as a home game.

I remember in 2007 Marist making the sweet 16 as a #13 seed, beating Ohio State (4 seed) and Middle Tennessee State (5 seed). Under the 6 team limit per conference, there would 11 bids available for the 27 non P5 conferences beyond the automatic qualifiers.

Reaction Score
Love the premise of your post. I started rooting for Gonzaga in the 90’s when they would get in the tournament and make a Sweet 16 run. Not blue-chippers but basketball players. So much fun.
All the NCAA has to do is change the formula a tad. New Coke vs Classic Coke. If you think games with “mid-majors” would be more fun to watch than a 2nd tier Power 5 team. I’ve always thought about it from a players perspective. For example, in the old days you didn’t go to Gonzaga to make a tournament run, you went there to play college hoops and play for great coaches- Monson and Few. Think how fun that was for those players.

Reaction Score
That's too bad, I stand by my statement that no conference should have more the 6 teams. The only way the other conferences are going to get better is to let more Non Power 5 conferences have more than 1 team in the tournament.
If you ever tried to limit the power 5 conference's to 6 teams, they would blow up the tournament.
The NCAA makes all their money off the basketball tournament.
If the football schools ever pulled out, the NCAA would be finished.
You wouldn't have a tournament any more, there is no way any tournament without the power 5 schools would make enough tv money to exist.

Reaction Score
Ever since the men's tournament went to 68 teams, I've felt the last 4 slots should be reserved for mid majors (non P5 schools).

You are right, the P5 schools may threaten to pull out of the NCAA if the number of slots are limited for them. There is speculation the P5 schools will eventually pull out of the NCAA for football. I've heard speculation the more academically focused schools might pull out of D1 because the arms race to stay competitive in football and basketball distracts from their mission as educational institutions.

According to this article, only 20 D1 schools make money from their athletic programs:

I think the NIL will give the larger schools a huge advantage. University of Texas alumni have set up a charity to pay offensive linemen $50,000 a year in NIL.

If the movement to make college athletes employees happens, I think the P5 conferences will eventually break away from the NCAA.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If you ever tried to limit the power 5 conference's to 6 teams, they would blow up the tournament.
The NCAA makes all their money off the basketball tournament.
If the football schools ever pulled out, the NCAA would be finished.
You wouldn't have a tournament any more, there is no way any tournament without the power 5 schools would make enough tv money to exist.
Not in the women's tournament - the money I mean.

I am so lost by this thread. I hope everyone realizes that teams that are under .500 over all cannot make the tournament at large. Why is conference results more important than otherwise? I do like requiring stronger OOC scheduling, although, that has always been a consideration, I remember teams that tore up OOC and struggled in conference not making it due to a weak SOS.

In terms of limiting a strong conference, the problem is that there are not a lot of good teams to replace them. The Big East is one of the very few conferences with teams that can compete with decent Power 5 teams, ditto the American. Not a lot of upsets in the women's tourney because, as one of the posters above was hinting - there is a major talent gap. If the best team from a lower level conference can very rarely pull an upset - does anyone think the 2nd best team can?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the Power 5 stretched to a Power 6 for college basketball as opposed to college football? With the 6th power conference being the Big East? Or maybe that just applies to men’s basketball

Reaction Score
Amen! Everyone complaining about Power 5 conferences needs to understand one thing, THEYRE JUST BETTER. At this point in time, the #7 in the SEC or ACC (Kentucky/Miami) is outright better than the #2 in the Big East. That’s just the way it falls right now. So please stop with all the participation award crap. The tournament is about seeing the best/most deserving teams fight for a championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom