Power Conferences in Football occurring in WBB | The Boneyard

Power Conferences in Football occurring in WBB

Reaction Score
Is anybody else frustrated with the incessant bracket projections? Can somebody explain to me why Creighton, who lost to Seton Hall in the BE tournament is projected as 9 seed, while Villanova, who plays in the BE championship game, with a win over UConn, is not? I’m not talking about NET and schedule - teams play who is on their schedule. I’m talking about adding some common sense and recent play as more determining factors.

For example, we mention how injuries impacted UConn this season and rightfully so. Villanova started the season 3 - 5, missing Mandy Siegrist in three of their losses. Since then, Nova has gone 20 - 2. UConn wasn’t the same team without Paige Beuckers, so why shouldn’t Nova be a different team without the BE POY? The Big East has 5 teams with 20 wins and the so called “experts” merit the BE deserves only 2 teams.

Although I’m a huge fan of Iowa St, who in their right mind believes they could stay with UConn and thinks they should be seeded higher? The PAC- 12 is having a down year, but are projected to have 6 invites. Apparently, losses in conference tournaments have negligible impact on seeding, so why even have them? Oh, that‘s right - money.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In response to your thread title, yes, the football P5 conferences are also considered the power conferences in WBB and every algorithm takes that into account. These conferences are the NCAA's money makers. And that's why schools with a .500 conference record can be selected for the tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is anybody else frustrated with the incessant bracket projections? Can somebody explain to me why Creighton, who lost to Seton Hall in the BE tournament is projected as 9 seed, while Villanova, who plays in the BE championship game, with a win over UConn, is not? I’m not talking about NET and schedule - teams play who is on their schedule. I’m talking about adding some common sense and recent play as more determining factors.
Creighton had a better nonconference performance than Villanova did. That's why their overall resume is slightly better.

Villanova and Creighton each went 2-1 against Seton Hall, so that point is a wash.

Keep in mind too that Nova finished a half-game ahead of Creighton in the BE standings because Creighton had to play UConn twice and Nova didn't. (And if UConn had beaten Nova like they should have, Creighton would've still finished second.) Nova also had the really bad losses to Providence and Temple. Hopefully the committee will indulge those losses due to the absence of Siegrist.

I'm slightly more optimistic about Villanova's chances than Creme is. We'll see what the committee says on Sunday.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
During yesterday's ACC championship game Debbie A said a case could be made for Boston College to make the field. What is that case?

Plebe

Reaction Score
During yesterday's ACC championship game Debbie A said a case could be made for Boston College to make the field. What is that case?
"A case could be made" -- weasel wording that really means "I know it's a weak-ass case but I'm just shilling for my bosses anyway". I recall a few years ago she said basically the same exact thing about an ACC team that everybody knew had zero chance of an at-large bid.

But with the field of 68 and a super-soft messy bubble, BC is definitely in the conversation. Highlights are wins over Notre Dame and Miami (the latter of which suddenly gained currency). Took NC State to overtime. Road wins at UMass and Duke also count as Quad 1 wins.

On the negative, losses to VCU and Boston U.

Their 1st round game vs. Florida State might have been a de facto play-in game. Hopefully they both get sent to the WNIT where they belong.

Reaction Score
It's a Power Conference World and that is just a fact. There is no denying the Power Conferences play a tougher schedule and overall have the better teams.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's a Power Conference World and that is just a fact. There is no denying the Power Conferences play a tougher schedule and overall have the better teams.
Still the conferences should be limited to no more than 6, tournament champ and 5 other teams. That would give the power 5 30 teams in a 68 field team. No team with a losing record should get an at-large bid, the only way they should get in is win the conference tournament.

Reaction Score
Still the conferences should be limited to no more than 6, tournament champ and 5 other teams. That would give the power 5 30 teams in a 68 field team. No team with a losing record should get an at-large bid, the only way they should get in is win the conference tournament.
I agree with you. However, the Power Conferences will tell you that they bring in the majority of the $$$ for the NCAA and that's why they should have the overwhelming majority of teams in the tournament. I suspect that eventually the Power 5 will have their own national tournaments at some point for all sports. It's just a matter of time.

Plebe

Reaction Score
But by this standard, just to pick one year as an example, in 2012 the Big East's #7 and #8 teams (Louisville and DePaul) would have been left out of the NCAAT. As it was, both of them were awarded #7 seeds.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the power conferences break away and have their own tournament. Then we won't have to worry about them stuffing the bracket with undeserving teams!

Reaction Score
I’m more distraught that UConn has to play in the BE. Same in Men’s with Gonzaga playing in the WCC. Nothing they can do about it. Maybe Jim Mora can elevate the football team. ACC? That would make all the difference in the world.
Help me out BY: how many quality out of conference wins does the BE have? Even UConn doesn’t have a ton.
Sorry, I can’t jump up and down about Seton Hall or DePaul or Creighton. I respect their effort but we’re talking about the big dance. No pretenders should be invited to the Gala. Did you see KY and Miami in the tourneys. Of course these leagues deserve more teams.
How about everybody gets a trophy?

Reaction Score

For example, we mention how injuries impacted UConn this season and rightfully so. Villanova started the season 3 - 5, missing Mandy Siegrist in three of their losses. Since then, Nova has gone 20 - 2. UConn wasn’t the same team without Paige Beuckers, so why shouldn’t Nova be a different team without the BE POY? The Big East has 5 teams with 20 wins and the so called “experts” merit the BE deserves only 2 teams.

Although I’m a huge fan of Iowa St, who in their right mind believes they could stay with UConn and thinks they should be seeded higher? The PAC- 12 is having a down year, but are projected to have 6 invites. Apparently, losses in conference tournaments have negligible impact on seeding, so why even have them? Oh, that‘s right - money.
Nova also has a win over OR State too in addition to their Seigrist injury issues.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
But by this standard, just to pick one year as an example, in 2012 the Big East's #7 and #8 teams (Louisville and DePaul) would have been left out of the NCAAT. As it was, both of them were awarded #7 seeds.
That's too bad, I stand by my statement that no conference should have more the 6 teams. The only way the other conferences are going to get better is to let more Non Power 5 conferences have more than 1 team in the tournament.

Reaction Score

Their is a vast disparity. between your thread title and your post. Two paragraphs have noting to do with "Power conferences.. The third does vaguely. Oh, well. Before I start, UCONN is the exception to the rule below.

This is America. Money Matters. Money buys nicer athletic facilities. It buys nicer academic support facilities. It buys better buses and planes. It buys more and better TV viewership. It supports more NIL deals. It generates bigger fanbases. It generates more TV eyeballs. All of those factors, and more, buy more better recruits. The result of better recruits? Mo' better teams. How many non- P-5 teams make it past the first round of the tournament. 2021 Division I Women's Basketball Official Bracket | NCAA.com. How many make it to the sweet sixteen? very few. Elite 8? You get the picture.

With all of that said, the SEC does not deserve 9 tourney slots despite its money. .

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Their is a vast disparity. between your thread title and your post. Two paragraphs have noting to do with "Power conferences.. The third does vaguely. Oh, well. Before I start, UCONN is the exception to the rule below.

This is America. Money Matters. Money buys nicer athletic facilities. It buys nicer academic support facilities. It buys better buses and planes. It buys more and better TV viewership. It supports more NIL deals. It generates bigger fanbases. It generates more TV eyeballs. All of those factors, and more, buy more better recruits. The result of better recruits? Mo' better teams. How many non- P-5 teams make it past the first round of the tournament. 2021 Division I Women's Basketball Official Bracket | NCAA.com. How many make it to the sweet sixteen? very few. Elite 8? You get the picture.

With all of that said, the SEC does not deserve 9 tourney slots despite its money. .
Question, do you believe that a team with a losing conference record should be in the tournament as an at large bid?

Reaction Score
If I had my wish:
1. Unless automatic bid, you must be at least 0.500 in your conference in order to get in. Being in a P5 conference has its responsibilities.
2. Limit the number of Q4 and even Q3 teams a Q1 P5 conference team can schedule in the OOC. They need to be playing good midmajor and up teams instead of these cupcakes in Nov and Dec
3. The BE needs to get down to 16 or 18 games to free up OOC space so they can build resumes. Right now they are beating up on each other with little comparison points. It would be good to get a quality 12th team so this becomes easier with divisions.

Reaction Score
Question, do you believe that a team with a losing conference record should be in the tournament as an at large bid?
Suppose the team is 8-10 in the PAC but is undefeated in non-conference play against SCar, UConn, Baylor, Maryland and NC St. as well as others for a total record of 21-10. Should they be in the tournament? I would say yes.

But, if a team is 8-10 in conference and has a losing record out of conference too, I would say no.

The middle ground is fuzzy.

Reaction Score
Suppose the team is 8-10 in the PAC but is undefeated in non-conference play against SCar, UConn, Baylor, Maryland and NC St. as well as others for a total record of 21-10. Should they be in the tournament? I would say yes.

But, if a team is 8-10 in conference and has a losing record out of conference too, I would say no.

You have to think about the probability of that actually happening. I stand by my point that a P5 conference team needs to be at least 0.500 in their conference

Reaction Score
If I had my wish:
1. Unless automatic bid, you must be at least 0.500 in your conference in order to get in. Being in a P5 conference has its responsibilities.
2. Limit the number of Q4 and even Q3 teams a Q1 P5 conference team can schedule in the OOC. They need to be playing good midmajor and up teams instead of these cupcakes in Nov and Dec
3. The BE needs to get down to 16 or 18 games to free up OOC space so they can build resumes. Right now they are beating up on each other with little comparison points. It would be good to get a quality 12th team so this becomes easier with divisions.
I like this point. With the way the Big East is now, I think the opportunity to play a few more teams outside of their conference could be beneficial for development.

Reaction Score

Very fuzzy! Is that what the selection committee does? Isn’t the criteria for selection fairly clear?
IMO, by definition, the Power 5 is going to check more boxes, such as record OOC, top 25 wins, etc. IMO, that’s why I’d rather watch them than the 4th best in the BE. Seen enough of that for 5 lifetimes. Other biggies are things like record over last 10 games,etc. I agree if the Power 5 team sucks, stay home.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the power conferences break away and have their own tournament. Then we won't have to worry about them stuffing the bracket with undeserving teams!

If they have their own tournament where does that leave the Big East. If you are a top player where do you want to play? The beauty of the tournament is the upsets by the non P5 teams. Of they course it’s likely this get ruined also for money.

Reaction Score
Very fuzzy! Is that what the selection committee does? Isn’t the criteria for selection fairly clear?
IMO, by definition, the Power 5 is going to check more boxes, such as record OOC, top 25 wins, etc. IMO, that’s why I’d rather watch them than the 4th best in the BE. Seen enough of that for 5 lifetimes. Other biggies are things like record over last 10 games,etc. I agree if the Power 5 team sucks, stay home.
Absolutely NOT,

Reaction Score
In the early days of March Madness, people tuned in the hope of watching underdogs upset one of the ”titans.” Remember when Princeton almost beat Georgetown. The likelihood grows less each year.

Referencing Villanova, they are ranked just out of the top 25. Yet, they are on the bubble for making a 68-team tourney. Given such a disconnect, why bother then with the weekly rankings, as they have no impact on making the tourney.

As others have stated, the incessant greed is ruining interest in the early rounds. Sure, we all want to see the SC’s Stanford’s & UConn’s in the Final Four, but it’s more exciting to see underdogs and seldom seen small schools pull off an improbable upset and advance for a game or two than watch teams that finished 7th or 8th in their conference make the tourney for the sole purpose of adding more money to the conference till.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

That team would have to have had either a great OOC run or had some major injuries during PAC play which would have to be looked at very closely, but I believe that would never happen because there is only one team in the PAC that could possibly do that and Tara would never go 8 - 10 in the PAC.

Reaction Score
In the early days of March Madness, people tuned in the hope of watching underdogs upset one of the ”titans.” Remember when Princeton almost beat Georgetown. The likelihood grows less each year.

Referencing Villanova, they are ranked just out of the top 25. Yet, they are on the bubble for making a 68-team tourney. Given such a disconnect, why bother then with the weekly rankings, as they have no impact on making the tourney.

As others have stated, the incessant greed is ruining interest in the early rounds. Sure, we all want to see the SC’s Stanford’s & UConn’s in the Final Four, but it’s more exciting to see underdogs and seldom seen small schools pull off an improbable upset and advance for a game or two than watch teams that finished 7th or 8th in their conference make the tourney for the sole purpose of adding more money to the conference till.
Eventually the big schools are going to want to keep all of that March Madness money for themselves which is why when the power conferences break away it won't just be about football. The basketball revenue is nothing to sneeze at and there's no way they are leaving that on the table.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom