Power 5 leaders exploring holding their own fall sports championships | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Power 5 leaders exploring holding their own fall sports championships

Reaction Score
We have corrupted college ball...

When I graduated from high school in the way-way back (56 summers back), you could play all year at a school like FSU, Auburn or Miami and not once be on TV in regular season.

The NCAA allowed the broadcasting of eight national games (half of which were Big Ten and Notre Dame was on Saturday night) .....and allowed regional broadcasts in five weeks of the year. Until 1984 that was college ball.

Now we have 111 games in regular season that have had at least 2 million watching per game...it is big entertainment, big money. Billions in media dollars flowing to conferences.

Bobby Bowden was paid $35,000 a year when he came to FSU....now, 100 times that amount for a coach does not make anyone blink.

The kids have long ceased to be scholar athletes at the higher levels of football....the NCAA has allowed sliding scales and other subterfuges to allow college players on the field who, otherwise, would never attend that college.

We have made up fields of study designed to keep up a facade of these players actually being bonafide students...all the while they are spending many hours in football preparation.

If, as the Department of Education has published, that only 17% of Black 12th graders can read at a proficient level and 6% are proficient at math, and a preponderance of the better players are Black, do we really believe that they all come out of that 17% that may be college material?

We have conveniently bought into that fiction so that we can enjoy an entertainment that we imagine to be an amateur product compared to the NFL.

And is it any wonder that it is the kids themselves who understand that and are now pulling back the curtain so that we all can not ignore the NCAA wizard pulling the levers?

Reaction Score
We have corrupted college ball...

When I graduated from high school in the way-way back (56 summers back), you could play all year at a school like FSU, Auburn or Miami and not once be on TV in regular season.

The NCAA allowed the broadcasting of eight national games (half of which were Big Ten and Notre Dame was on Saturday night) .....and allowed regional broadcasts in five weeks of the year. Until 1984 that was college ball.

Now we have 111 games in regular season that have had at least 2 million watching per game...it is big entertainment, big money. Billions in media dollars flowing to conferences.

Bobby Bowden was paid $35,000 a year when he came to FSU....now, 100 times that amount for a coach does not make anyone blink.

The kids have long ceased to be scholar athletes at the higher levels of football....the NCAA has allowed sliding scales and other subterfuges to allow college players on the field who, otherwise, would never attend that college.

We have made up fields of study designed to keep up a facade of these players actually being bonafide students...all the while they are spending many hours in football preparation.

If, as the Department of Education has published, that only 17% of Black 12th graders can read at a proficient level and 6% are proficient at math, and a preponderance of the better players are Black, do we really believe that they all come out of that 17% that may be college material?

We have conveniently bought into that fiction so that we can enjoy an entertainment that we imagine to be an amateur product compared to the NFL.

And is it any wonder that it is the kids themselves who understand that and are now pulling back the curtain so that we all can not ignore the NCAA wizard pulling the levers?

There is literally nothing to argue with from this long missive. The question is - can the genie be put back in the bottle or does it all have to burn down and rise again like the Phoenix?

Reaction Score
The difference for most is that it is an honor put on the helmet and pads to play a game you love for a school. There is no product without the brand that brings the fans. Fair market is go show up with no college ball experience and try and make an NFL practice squad. Clueless.

The is the same line of BS managers try to use all the time. "You should take pride in your work and this company, and that's why I can't give you a raise this quarter."

Pride is always what they try to sell you when they're exploiting you. The difference is these elite athletes cannot be easily replaced and they are starting to realize it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The is the same line of BS managers try to use all the time. "You should take pride in your work and this company, and that's why I can't give you a raise this quarter."

Pride is always what they try to sell you when they're exploiting you. The difference is these elite athletes cannot be easily replaced and they are starting to realize it.
So much to chew on here, but gonna side step the life discussions and focus on "cannot be easily replaced." I couldn't disagree more. No one is watching college athletics in any sport thinking these are the best athletes in the world (gymnastics perhaps an exception). They are too young in almost every sport to meet the criteria. What we are watching is just pure competition. Remove some athletes? No problem, you won't notice. When one exits, another will step in to make the play and become the hero. Pro sports is totally different, you expect the best, you expect pros. These are kids, we are watching just for pure competition - my school vs your school.

The world needs a G league for football and maybe that could be the XFL (albeit the effort has failed over and over). A G league would allow those that feel exploited by college athletics another path. Of course, if kids are truly exploited I remain totally baffled as to why so many want a scholarship and so few walk away from scholarships, especially so few that actually make the grade and contribute once on a team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume then, that all Dvision II and III schools are cancelling in person classes?

Reaction Score
If North Dakota State didn't win an FCS championship, I wouldn't know who was the champ...they have won 7 of the last 8....I had to look up who was the other champ in the last 8 years.

Reaction Score
OMG...can't follow Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater or the Cortland Red Dragons...

Mary Hardin-Baylor and Mount Union had been battling, each winning two NC's in the last four until last year North Central won...but who knew?

Reaction Score
With places, like Mississippi running out of ICU beds and staff you have to wonder how far the SEC will be willing to push this. Once you start the season the inertia becomes even greater to stick it out to a conclusion. What that conclusion looks like could be an image breaker that may exert a long term cost for short term gain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom