Potential New Transfer Rule | The Boneyard

Potential New Transfer Rule

Reaction Score
  1. Matt Schick‏Verified account @ESPN_Schick 4h4 hours ago

I spoke w/ an NCAA official this week who was “95% certain” transfers will soon be allowed to play immediately in basketball & football. Could be a one-time freebie, plus grad transfer option. So in theory, a student-athlete could play for three different schools w/o sitting out.

110 replies 756 retweets 1,251 likes
This may be the next step for the P5. This lets them raid the rosters of G5 & lower P5 schools for kids that would be immediately able to play.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It also would allow kids buried on the depth chart at Bama to leave without penalty. Goes both ways.

Yep. But in the end its going to be just plain crazy.... as in just like coaches going crazy with job changes.
Unintended consequence: frustrated kids who think they have a spot on the two deep lined up their junior and/or senior years and then wham - walks in a surprise transfer and the job is in jeopardy. Yes, its earned and not given, but its hard to compete sometimes with the ghost of kids that may transfer.

Maybe limit it to 1 kid year for each program and the kid and the program have to declare such plans in May - make it part of post spring practice.

That said, I'm sure there will be no limits, so its going to be chaos and actually really bad for all kids in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While it certainly can go both ways, what happens when USC loses Darnold early to the draft?

Do they go get a backup at another P5 school or do they go get Milton from UCF?

IMO, it's far more likely to hurt the G5 and lower level P5 schools than the other way

Reaction Score
Fair move for kids that transfer to programs that are at teh same level IMO (FBS to FBS).. This way they avoid losing an entire playing year of eligibility... College basketball is different in that aspect.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
  1. Matt Schick‏Verified account @ESPN_Schick 4h4 hours ago

I spoke w/ an NCAA official this week who was “95% certain” transfers will soon be allowed to play immediately in basketball & football. Could be a one-time freebie, plus grad transfer option. So in theory, a student-athlete could play for three different schools w/o sitting out.

110 replies 756 retweets 1,251 likes
This may be the next step for the P5. This lets them raid the rosters of G5 & lower P5 schools for kids that would be immediately able to play.

My initial reaction is that it helps schools which hold their players to a lower academic standard more than their stricter peers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is really a nightmare. Kids will be threatening to leave over playing time and any other issue. Going to be bad for the sport.

I think it’s going to be better.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be better.
Hope you are right....because this is probably going to happen as I have not heard of any resistance.

Reaction Score
If there isn't already, which I believe there is, there needs to be an anti tampering policy. If it's violated the penalty needs to be huge. A kid needs to make intentions clear that he will not be continuing at said school and ties severed before any contact is made by an interested school.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If there isn't already, which I believe there is, there needs to be an anti tampering policy. If it's violated the penalty needs to be huge. A kid needs to make intentions clear that he will not be continuing at said school and ties severed before any contact is made by an interested school.
Click on the link provided above - it outlines a process for contact. However, I don't recall it outlining any penalties.

Reaction Score
It also would allow kids buried on the depth chart at Bama to leave without penalty. Goes both ways.
It doesn't go both ways. Both ways HELP Alabama.

It turn the NCAA into a minor league for Alabama by letting them poach the best of the rest every year. And it allows then to waive their bottom players every year.

Reaction Score
Click on the link provided above - it outlines a process for contact. However, I don't recall it outlining any penalties.

I suppose that outline is fine for contact, but if the student doesn't get the nibbles he wants can he withdraw his intention to transfer? I still think ties need to be completely severed. If they want to go fine but it needs to be with knowledge that their current school is no longer a safety net. I just think that would limit hissy fits and threats. I'm more concerned about having the huuuge tampering penalty though.
I actually like the rule, it just needs protections.

Reaction Score
I think its a bad, bad move. Coaches will have to re-recruit their own teams at the end of every season to make sure every non starter is happy. How the heck can a coach manage a roster and recruit to it when they have no clue who might be on the team the following offseason?

I realize that G5 and lower tier P5 School's fans might like the idea of grabbing disgruntled Bama or OSU 3rd Teamers, but IMO this has the potential to sink these same programs when they develop a star player and he gets recruited by 65 P5 Programs at the end of the season. Alabama can afford shedding a few highly ranked non starters. They will simply replace them with a bunch of younger 4 and 5 * prospects.

Where the hell would a USF have been the last 2 years if say Florida could have swooped in and grabbed Flowers to solve their horrendous QB Situation? These programs rise and fall on the backs of a small handful of special players. Take them away and they potentially crater out. This is glorified free agency and I hate it.

Reaction Score
Yeah. This’ll be P5 recruiting established G5 players selling themselves as a better platform to reach the pros from. The P5 will then push out the replaced players to transfer elsewhere (perhaps to friendly G5 teams) to free the scholarship.

It also doesn’t count against recruiting/signing limits.

Reaction Score
According to the article posted in the Redshirt Rule thread, the transfer rule stands no chance of passing this year or possibly ever.

"Elsewhere, it sounds as if the proposal to allow a 1-time chance for players to transfer within FBS without sitting out a year is officially dead, at least for this year."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There needs to be early declaration dates to allow the school that is losing players a chance to recover. I can certainly see the potential for schools like UCF Who have shown the ability to compete at the highest level to be raided.

I do see it as being empowering to players giving them more say in their college experience. I fully expect that that will be a bad result for quite a few.

Until things settle into a new pattern, it is going to be the wild West out there. There will be an opportunity for the coaches at all levels that figure things out the fastest.

Reaction Score
It doesn't go both ways. Both ways HELP Alabama.

It turn the NCAA into a minor league for Alabama by letting them poach the best of the rest every year. And it allows then to waive their bottom players every year.

Can they do that if they give 4 year scholarships?

Reaction Score
The rule was originally put in place to keep schools from cherry picking top players from other less established programs and it has generally done that. Not sure I see the need to change. But if it passes and I were Addazio I would put my running back in witness protection.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think this will help the middle of the pack and lower P5 teams the most in both football and basketball. They are the most credible threat to take Alabama and USC's 2nd and 3rd string, and they will be able to raid G5 schools with credible promises of playing time.

I don't see a starter on USF listening to a Florida or Alabama pitch, because he should be smart enough to see what he is up against, but he might listen to a South Carolina or NC State pitch.

Basketball will turn to chaos. You will have massive roster upheaval year to year, and like football, I think the middle of the pack P5 will really benefit. Every mid-major star wants to play against the best, with the emphasis on PLAY. Duke or UNC will probably see more departures than arrivals from this rule, but schools like Wake Forest could make out really well, telling a Jalen Adams that he will get much more exposure against better competition playing for them than for UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom