Potential NBA Draft Eligibility Changes | The Boneyard

Potential NBA Draft Eligibility Changes

Reaction Score
The NBA and NBPA are expected to agree on moving the age eligibility for the NBA Draft from 19 years old to 18, Shams Charania of the Athletic reported Monday, which would clear the way for high school players to once again make the leap straight to the NBA.

This is especially significant for the high school class of 2024, which features players such as top-rated prospects Tre Johnson, Isaiah Elohim and Ian Jackson who would be able to enter the NBA Draft a year early.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just cut all the ongoing crap and make it 16 - if you can go into the military with parental permission why not?
Being facetious, but every year we hear the same tune regarding NBA eligibility
If a player is good enough and doesn't stand to be abused physically, I have no huge issues
Is Bronny James good enough to make the jump to the league after 1 college season (haven't followed the James family at all)

Reaction Score
Seems like the nba changes their mind on this issue every decade or so

Reaction Score
The change back was coming eventually in my opinion, with all these different avenues being created and used nowadays for kids who really don’t wanna go to college and have that elite talent, the League had to handle they business

Reaction Score
It'll be a hit to college basketball interest and viewership, as the most interesting players from college to NBA fans are often these prospects. And there are more NBA fans in general than college fans.

However, the transfer rules have already made freshman less relevant, even elite ones. I imagine top schools are going to pivot hard towards transfers in the next few years, if they haven't already. It would be very beneficial to us if Newton has an all league type year, so we could talk up both Cole and Newton heading into next year's transfer season.

But also this might work out pretty well for us having our best class in 2023. If any of our guys kinda pop, but not totally, they probably won't go out into the double draft.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I also think it’s not a coincidence that we had our most stacked, dominant teams, using a similar recruiting strategy to what we use now - when kids were allowed to go straight from high school to the nba.

Obviously it’s a somewhat different landscape now with the transfer market, but I think from a recruiting level we compete at the very top level on almost every angle except one-and-dones.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It'll be a hit to college basketball interest and viewership, as the most interesting players from college to NBA fans are often these prospects. And there are more NBA fans in general than college fans.

However, the transfer rules have already made freshman less relevant, even elite ones. I imagine top schools are going to pivot hard towards transfers in the next few years, if they haven't already. It would be very beneficial to us if Newton has an all league type year, so we could talk up both Cole and Newton heading into next year's transfer season.

But also this might work out pretty well for us having our best class in 2023. If any of our guys kinda pop, but not totally, they probably won't go out into the double draft.
About 3 kids will go straight from high school to the NBA every year. I don't think it will be a big deal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep. The show up for one semester stuff was absurd though. If a kid wants to be a pro let him try. Its only a handful of kids who will make the leap each year.
One-and-done is past it's usefulness. They gave it a shot, time to move on.
I agree. Not good for the college game. But the NBA put it in place because drafting HS kids worked out great some of the time, but lead to a really high bust rate. They wanted to get that one year look at kids in college.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There was no G-League when they had this rule before. Might be worth adding a 3rd round to the draft and turning the G-League into a true AAA league.

Reaction Score
I agree. Not good for the college game. But the NBA put it in place because drafting HS kids worked out great some of the time, but lead to a really high bust rate. They wanted to get that one year look at kids in college.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There was no G-League when they had this rule before. Might be worth adding a 3rd round to the draft and turning the G-League into a true AAA league.
Yeah, I'm curious of the impetus behind the changes. Feels like there is very little incentive for either the NBA or NBPA (Emoni Bates being the perfect recent example of why the NBA would want a year against college competition to evaluate).

Reaction Score
About 3 kids will go straight from high school to the NBA every year. I don't think it will be a big deal.
Nah, it'll be closer to 10-15 a year. Counting the guys who were in Ignite, there were 13 freshman class guys who went pro after their freshman-equivalent year.

The lack of scouting in college means teams are actually more likely to take HS seniors, because they can't resist a mystery box and the idea of upside.

And it's not just any 10-15, it's the 10-15 that would generate the most interest to casual fans of college basketball.

Reaction Score
Nah, it'll be closer to 10-15 a year. Counting the guys who were in Ignite, there were 13 freshman class guys who went pro after their freshman-equivalent year.

The lack of scouting in college means teams are actually more likely to take HS seniors, because they can't resist a mystery box and the idea of upside.

And it's not just any 10-15, it's the 10-15 that would generate the most interest to casual fans of college basketball.
It will have very little/no impact on fans watching college basketball.

Reaction Score
It will have very little/no impact on fans watching college basketball.
College basketball fans, no impact, agreed. NBA and casual viewers, there will be less incentive and less buzz.

Although much more prevalent legalized gambling will help offset it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I’ll counter with… has the G League Ignite, Overtime Elite or the likes taken away from the interest in college basketball? I haven’t seen anything that indicates it has.

Sure, a generational player like Zion will most likely bypass Duke and go straight to the league, but that will be an exception and not a norm.

I don’t think college basketball fans will miss seeing 1 season of guys like CJ Miles, Gerald Green or JR Smith who choose to skip a one-and-done to go to the NBA.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I’ll counter with… has the G League Ignite, Overtime Elite or the likes taken away from the interest in college basketball? I haven’t seen anything that indicates it has.

Sure, a generational player like Zion will most likely bypass Duke and go straight to the league, but that will be an exception and not a norm.

I don’t think college basketball fans will miss seeing 1 season of guys like CJ Miles, Gerald Green or JR Smith who choose to skip a one-and-done to go to the NBA.
If anything, ESPN might have to start showing the actual game now instead of a graphic about big name player's stats from the last few games.

Reaction Score

It's not the college basketball fans who are gonna stop watching, it's the causal fans who were turning on a Duke game only to watch Zion who would now turn on a Pelicans game instead a year earlier. It's not a large number though, I agree

Reaction Score
Fine with straight to the NBA route. College needs to clean up the mass transfers as it creates a feeder system for the top programs and eliminates the probability of a mid major Cinderella

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Feel like allowing the straight to NBA route will help programs like us with a pedigree of actually developing players that aren't quite there yet into NBA players. Other teams that just take the NBA ready players out of high school and don't develop them at all will suffer a little.

Reaction Score
I wish they'd do it like the MLB does it. Either you sign out of high school or need to stay at least 3 years.

My wish is purely selfish and can understand why it wouldn't be fair to the kids.

It would just be really fun as a fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom