Potential bad news for SNY viewers using YouTubeTV | The Boneyard

Potential bad news for SNY viewers using YouTubeTV

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
NBCUniversal channels may be dropped by YouTubeTV. According to the linked article, SNY is part of the NBCSports package on YouTubeTV in the SNY viewing area.

If the link doesn't work, google "YouTubeTV NBC"...multiple reports on this situation.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
NBC has been renegotiating their agreements with everyone. They did it with DISH just recently. The reason is because many of the agreements with NBC are up for renewal and they want more money because they have the Super Bowl next February.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This would be my worst nightmare if this happens right before basketball season. I use Roku to access YoutubeTV and this problem came to light when I had to add another Roku Stick to an additional TV. After going through all the stuff to get started I found out that YoutubeTV wasn't available on this new unit. looking it up on the web disclosed a dispute between Google and Roku. For now Roku is allowing people who previously downloaded Youtube TV to keep it until they make a decision. Sling would be another option but I'm pretty sure that was also not available on the new unit. These units are 50 bucks apiece and if they don't fix this problem there will be alot of pissed off people. Why does everything now a days have to be so complicated.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
This would be my worst nightmare if this happens right before basketball season. I use Roku to access YoutubeTV and this problem came to light when I had to add another Roku Stick to an additional TV. After going through all the stuff to get started I found out that YoutubeTV wasn't available on this new unit. looking it up on the web disclosed a dispute between Google and Roku. For now Roku is allowing people who previously downloaded Youtube TV to keep it until they make a decision. Sling would be another option but I'm pretty sure that was also not available on the new unit. These units are 50 bucks apiece and if they don't fix this problem there will be alot of pissed off people. Why does everything now a days have to be so complicated.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And not to swerve here but recently I have discovered that the 4k Roku stick I have no longer streams in 4k. I was thinking of buying a new one but without their support for YouTubeTV, I will use my Firestick for the 4k stuff on Netflix and Prime Video.

Reaction Score
Looks like if deal with NBCU expires this Thursday, YouTube TV will lower price by $10 to $54.99...besides losing up to 14 channels. This is where I cancel my YouTube TV subscription again and look elsewhere. I think I have two options in CT, HULU Live TV or FUBO TV. I say two options because both "still" have SNY.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Looks like if deal with NBCU expires this Thursday, YouTube TV will lower price by $10 to $54.99...besides losing up to 14 channels. This is where I cancel my YouTube TV subscription again and look elsewhere. I think I have two options in CT, HULU Live TV or FUBO TV. I say two options because both "still" have SNY.
I was surprised to learn that YTTV would actually reduce the monthly subscription fee if NBCU is no longer supported. But even so, I am guessing that I will unsubscribe from YTTV and go with Hulu Live and lose the exceptional DVR feature that YTTV offers.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to learn that YTTV would actually reduce the monthly subscription fee if NBCU is no longer supported. But even so, I am guessing that I will unsubscribe from YTTV and go with Hulu Live and lose the exceptional DVR feature that YTTV offers.
I mean if they do end up losing 14 channels from this, what other options does YTTV have except to reduce price. To me even at the $54.99 price is not good enough, I need SNY primarily (in CT).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would keep it until the start of the WBB season. Watching UConn games is the sole reason that I have YTTV. Since football is on CBSSN, mostly, I will keep it until then.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

I would hold off until at least a month after it expires. Many times I've seen where the TV conglomerate (NBCU) and the receiver (YTTV) come to an agreement after the cutting of services, usually within a week or two. It has happened when I had COX and it has happened the last two years with DISH when CBS and FOX renegotiated the contracts. Both CBS and FOX did it because their contracts were expiring and they were hosting the Super Bowl that year.

Reaction Score
I would hold off until at least a month after it expires. Many times I've seen where the TV conglomerate (NBCU) and the receiver (YTTV) come to an agreement after the cutting of services, usually within a week or two. It has happened when I had COX and it has happened the last two years with DISH when CBS and FOX renegotiated the contracts. Both CBS and FOX did it because their contracts were expiring and they were hosting the Super Bowl that year.
You're right, I'll give them 'till the beginning of the season, prior to first SNY televised game. ;)

Reaction Score
We use Youtube tv also. I'm in South Carolina though, so don't think this applies to me?

We have 3 Chromecasts (which I love) and a couple ROKU's (bedroom tv's.) I find the ROKU units clunky. I like the Chromecast as they are rock solid and you just cast from your phone right to the tv. Works good to cast the Fox Sports app for the UConn games also.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I have read on the interweb that this may be a different scenario because we are talking streaming services. NBCU would prefer that viewers use their Peacock streaming service and hopefully the viewers will pay for their "+" service.
I am also still mad for YTTV dropping the Fox RSNs a while back and never offering any alternative.

Regardless I am not in the SNY viewing area and I only need a service that provides the other networks to view the Huskie games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have read on the interweb that this may be a different scenario because we are talking streaming services. NBCU would prefer that viewers use their Peacock streaming service and hopefully the viewers will pay for their "+" service.
I am also still mad for YTTV dropping the Fox RSNs a while back and never offering any alternative.

Regardless I am not in the SNY viewing area and I only need a service that provides the other networks to view the Huskie games.
DISH dropped the Fox RSN's almost two years ago because they were sold and were no longer owned by Fox.

Reaction Score
It's not looking good! This is the existing SNY info on its relationship with NBC displayed on SNY's web site.

"Q: How can I stream Mets and UConn basketball games?

A: If you are an SNY subscriber via a participating video provider, and reside in an area where you are able to view in-market Mets and UConn games on SNY, you will be able to access content on SNY.tv and the NBC Sports app (TV Everywhere). If your provider has not yet entered into an agreement with SNY to make TV Everywhere available, you will not be able to authenticate and stream the content. Please call your participating provider if you are not able to access the stream of the game via SNY.tv on PCs or the NBC Sports app.

Q: What is the relationship between SNY and the NBC Sports App?

A: SNY has partnered with NBC Sports Group, whose corporate affiliate is a minority owner of SNY, to deliver baseball's most-watched local broadcast and award-winning pre and post-game coverage to fans online at SNY.tv and on the go through the NBC Sports app. The video player allows authenticated subscribers to access streamed coverage of live Mets and UConn content wherever they are (subject to territorial restrictions) and on any device, including tablets, mobile phones and computers."

ALSO, there is this is from YouTube TV regarding their pending divorce announcement:

"...you could consider signing up for NBCUniversal’s own streaming service, Peacock Premium, which NBC currently offers starting at $4.99/month to continue watching NBCU content..."

At least there is hope!

Reaction Score
If SNY gets pulled out of YouTube TV along with the other 13 or so channels and move to Peacock, will SNY also be moved to Peacock? asking for a friend. As I stated in another thread, for me the SNY channel is the one that matters for the upcoming season.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
DISH dropped the Fox RSN's almost two years ago because they were sold and were no longer owned by Fox.
True and as far as I know, YTTV has not negotiated with the new owners but I am not positive. But it is ok because I have basically stopped watching a lot of sports that I enjoyed a few years ago, some that were on the RSNs.

But Huskie WBB is still my favorite thing to watch sportswise.

Reaction Score
From YouTube TV:

What channels will I lose if the deal with NBCUniversal expires?
  • Local NBC Station
  • Telemundo
  • Bravo
  • Oxygen
  • CNBC
  • The Olympic Channel
  • CNBC World
  • NBC News Now
  • E!
  • Syfy
  • The Golf Channel
  • Universal Kids
  • MSNBC
  • Universo
  • NBC Sports Net
  • USA
  • Cozi
  • NBCLX
  • NBC Sports Bay Area
  • NBC Sports Bay Area Plus
  • NBC Sports Boston
  • NBC Sports California
  • NBC Sports California Plus
  • NBC Sports Chicago
  • NBC Sports Chicago Plus
  • NBC Sports Chicago Plus 2
  • NBC Sports Northwest
  • NBC Sports Philadelphia
  • NBC Sports Philadelphia Plus
  • NBC Sports Washington
  • NBC Sports Washington Plus
  • SNYHD
  • NECN
  • NBC 4K content (Available in the 4K Plus Add On)

OUCH!

Reaction Score
Just received this on my phone attached to an update to my YouTube TV app.

WHAT'S NEW:
Univision, Unimas and Galavision are now included in your base subscription, and our Sports Plus add-on line up has 7 new channels! Add Sports Plus, and you’ll get 20+ networks including NFL RedZone from NFL Network, beIN Sports, GolTV, Stadium, FOX Soccer Plus, PlayersTV+, MAVTV and more.

4K Plus is our new features add-on. With 4K Plus, get better video quality on available content, watch recordings offline, and use unlimited streams at home.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Just received this on my phone attached to an update to my YouTube TV app.

WHAT'S NEW:
Univision, Unimas and Galavision are now included in your base subscription, and our Sports Plus add-on line up has 7 new channels! Add Sports Plus, and you’ll get 20+ networks including NFL RedZone from NFL Network, beIN Sports, GolTV, Stadium, FOX Soccer Plus, PlayersTV+, MAVTV and more.

4K Plus is our new features add-on. With 4K Plus, get better video quality on available content, watch recordings offline, and use unlimited streams at home.
Their 4k plan is a joke. An extra $20/month to watch a few sporting events per weekend. No channels broadcast everyday programming in 4k for whatever reason but the two major streaming platforms (Netflix and Prime Video) have no problem doing it.
I jumped on the 4k plan when DirecTV first offered it and 5 years later it had not improved, very few live programming was in 4k except for limited sporting events on the weekends. But if I remember correctly, either Stewie's or Kia's "homecoming" game was in 4k and I did watch that.

Reaction Score
This constant fight between providers and carriers got old a long time ago. The consumer can't win. You change your provider after one of these fights and then have to do it again the next time it rolls out. I am/was a big Yankees fan but now I can't gt Yes so I no longer can get most of their games. End result. I basically could no longer care about baseball. Don't let me watch what I like I stop liking it. Part of the problem is the laws requiring cable (and I assume satellite but not sure) to carry local channels. Maybe but at what cost? The reason so many are cutting the cord is the cost vs what you get is now too high for most people to justify. Yes is now gone from most services could SNY be far behind? I love them so I hope not!

Centerstream

Reaction Score
This constant fight between providers and carriers got old a long time ago. The consumer can't win. You change your provider after one of these fights and then have to do it again the next time it rolls out. I am/was a big Yankees fan but now I can't gt Yes so I no longer can get most of their games. End result. I basically could no longer care about baseball. Don't let me watch what I like I stop liking it. Part of the problem is the laws requiring cable (and I assume satellite but not sure) to carry local channels. Maybe but at what cost? The reason so many are cutting the cord is the cost vs what you get is now too high for most people to justify. Yes is now gone from most services could SNY be far behind? I love them so I hope not!
Due to the impending NBCU removal from YTTV, been doing some looking around for a replacement. In looking at the Hulu + Live TV channels, it includes YES Network but it is not clear if you have to be in the YES viewing area. You can try their 7 day free trial and hopefully see the Yankees hang on to secure a Wild Card spot...(this suggestion is coming from a lukewarm Ded Sox fan).

Reaction Score
I have HULU currently and it has dropped the Yes network. I live in the area where Yes was listed as the regional Sports Network. The problem with Yes is that it was a Fox sports network and when Fox got bought out Yes was not included and wound up being bought by Sinclar which is the Network that starts a lot of these black out things we have been seeing.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I apologize for the Hulu/YES misinformation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom