Postgame: Too much[merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Postgame: Too much[merged thread]

Reaction Score
Offense was the problem tonight, not defense. Everything tough, everything from the perimeter. As I've said, CD is more a liability, than asset, against the top teams. She's just too small & she cant penetrate & break down a tough, physical defense. So, she just stands behind the 3-point line & throws-up 3-pointers...Not a way to generate fluid offense. She's just not a top-flight floor leader - I'm sorry.

Reaction Score
Baylor had too much size and depth for UConn. I thought UConn would have the speed advantage, but they looked tired and out manned by Baylor. Baylor was extremely physical with UConn and affected them.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While Coombs didn't provide any offense, she played great defense for the few minutes she was in the game.

Baylor's size and DEFENSE was the reason for the loss. Team never got into a rhythm shooting and most of the game they were rushing shots to prevent them from being blocked. I thought Baylor did a great job on defense switching and didn't leave too many shooters open. Team didn't attempt to drive into the basket to score points. That was Christyn's strength against Notre Dame, I don't recall her attempting tonight.

Recruiting shortfalls also contributed to this loss. No scoring from the Bench which has been a shortfall for the last few years. But prior year teams had better starting fives to compensate for the short bench. Don't have that luxury this year.

Reaction Score
My question now is what happens to the lineup and bench? Does anyone get shuffled around or is it more of “we’re focused and different” after this

The problem is, there's no one pushing Megan Walker for a starting spot, she's there by default. If we had any other options at the wing, former #1 recruit would be sitting.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
March 4, 2013 - 7:00 PMat Notre Dame L 86–97
Also the last regular season non-OT loss

Last overall non-OT loss was a week later in the BET title
I thought that game at Notre Dame in 2013 was 96-87 (9 points) in triple OT.

Reaction Score
This seemed to be a game where offensive trouble in some spots on the court (down low amongst the trees) seemed to cascade to everywhere else. The threes also missed until late in the game even when they were open. The mid-range shots (never an ideal choice under the best circumstances) were not just mid-range, they were difficult shots on top of it. Circus shots, even.

Add it all up, and it leads to the worst shooting percentage from a UConn team in a very long time.

To some extent, they can probably try to prepare a different offensive gameplan for the future in games where they're heavily overmatched on size. But even more important than that, they're simply going to need one or more players to step up, play beyond themselves, and start doing so early. UConn can't erase every early deficit caused by flat play. They'd erased a bunch before today, but this game shows the peril of counting on the comeback.

Reaction Score
Never thought we would be so intimidated in the interior that we could not get our share of easy baskets. :confused:

Having 8 shots not just blocked but swatted away will do that.

Reaction Score
Kalani Brown had 20 points. Expected her to score in close but how many of those came on long uncontested 2’s. We didn’t start guarding her outside until late in the game.

Reaction Score
For those who think Geno has been too rough on Walker, well, tonight was the game -- Baylor put it in her hands and she didn't excel. She wasnt terrible -- I was pleased with some of the things she did -- but she wasnt clutch either.
Some of her shots looked like line drives. I had not noticed the lack of arc in earlier games.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry but I blame this loss on the coaching. Horrible game plan. If you dont put pressure on Baylors weakness, their guards, you make it very easy for them to be just ok and let the girls in the paint dominate, which they did. You need to create turnovers, or force them to make rush shots or passes, against them, and they didnt. I will give credit to Baylor for their defense by not allowing UConn to run plays in the paint. But UConn had to offset with turnovers by the Bears, didnt happen
Time to move on to the next game...............and learn from the results.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Baylor deserved it--good game prep by Kim and the defense was fantastic for Baylor. Brown may have overtaken McCowan for #1 pick tonight.

A loss like this was due for UCONN after struggling against much worse teams. Huskies need more from Walker/ONO going forward. The offense just looked awful, shots were missed but played rarely looked in rhythm. Theyll still be a strong title favorite.

For Baylor, I think Nalyssa Smith should absolutely be starting. She looks so smooth and athletic out there. Something about her smoothness and touch inside reminds me of Candace Parker. Cox really struggled offensively but was stellar defensively. This game couldve been a 20 point margin if she hit 2-3 of those perimeter shots. Brown was a beast, Jackson was stellar too even though she shot poorly. Really good comeback game for Baylor after the ugly Stanford loss.

Going forward I don't think this changes anything for UCONN, they still are the likely lock for a #1 seed in Albany. Baylor should be in line for a #1 if they win out the rest of the way.

This season has been really unpredictable as to which team shows up each night. If you look at this circle of 1 loss teams, it sums it up the season perfectly so far:

Uconn beats Notre Dame by 18
Notre Dame beats Gonzaga soundly
Gonzaga beats Stanford somewhat soundly
Stanford beats Baylor convincingly
Baylor beats UCONN by double digits

Reaction Score
I think Baylor's D had a lot to do with that.
Yes, and they altered shots as a result. Kara L commented on Crystal fading on her shots—she was doing this to try to avoid long arms and potential blocks.

Reaction Score
Agree on the defense all things considered. This team won't win a game like this without MW and CW playing aggressively and making shots. Both were way too tentative offensively.
I think Walker was aggressive enough she's just not a good shooter. Don't know how else to put it. can't expect something that isn't consistent and then complain when we don't get it. Agree on CW

Reaction Score
Going forward I don't think this changes anything for UCONN, they still are the likely lock for a #1 seed in Albany.

If UConn loses to Louisville, then they are 1-2 against the likely top 16. A drop to a 2 is not implausible depending on what others do.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah I think Williams was tentative more than Walker. Only 6 FGA, but far the least of the starters.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Too much size. Too much Cox (the difference maker imho.) Too much everything.
(And the size problem only gets worse next year.)

We were manhandled for much of the game but got some gritty play to stay in it.

Baylor is a bad matchup for this team. Hope to not have to face them again.

First non-OT loss since? 2013?

EVERYBODY is a bad matchup when you only shoot 29% This too shall pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom