Postgame presser? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Postgame presser?

Reaction Score
I have no problem with what he said. I'm glad we have a coach a who has the kids backs. I think sometime people forget that these are kids, well young men really, and they are aware of what it is said. It's fine to criticize but some on the board were over the top. I don't know if DH was talking about them or some twitter guys but the point remains the same regardless. JMO.

Yeah, the whole point of his comments was to take the focus off Gilbert. Now, those people who were all in their feelings can just shift it over to be mad at the coach. He can take it, plus he gets paid a ton to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly. People tagging Al on social media is just wrong but I think DH is out of line overall with these comments. He basically said fans who watch 30 games at home don’t know about winning a championship and insulted the average fan. Maybe he was so sensitive because he allowed AG to keep taking bad shots down the stretch vs Xavier and he was partly to blame as well. I’m extremely happy to have him running this program, just think he should change his tact.

I would bet that Hurley does not distinguish between people tagging Gilbert on social media and people on a UConn fans message board saying they can't wait until Gilbert is out of the program. And in my opinion he's correct not to distinguish between them because they're both trash.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I agree that Hurley should have been specific about people personally attacking AG. There's no place for that. With that said, AG played poorly vs Xavier. That's on him and Hurley. Fair criticism is fair.

I agree with your great point that "fair criticism is fair." By it's very nature public performance begs a reaction and critique. I think the key is that TRUE fans will not be mean-spirited in their criticism and should always seek to be constructive. I don't know specifically what Coach Hurley's source is (here? Facebook? other?) but there must have been some nasty stuff said to provoke that kind of reaction otherwise I think we have to teach young student athletes that unfortunately some of this comes with the territory of being an athlete; I even see it to some degree at the high school level. I think sometimes sports brings out the best and worst in fans or spectators. Somehow some people feel justified in personally attacking someone because they are not pleased with their performance, and all the more under the cloak of social media, which is sad. I wonder how they would feel if it was their son or daughter being torn to shreds by people's remarks. The mean-spirited comments are wrong and shameful, and Coach Hurley has every right to say so.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What does the dislike t-shirt have to do with Alterique?
Absolutely nothing except in Chief’s broken mind. It’s. Just. A. Frowny. Face.

Reaction Score
I would bet that Hurley does not distinguish between people tagging Gilbert on social media and people on a UConn fans message board saying they can't wait until Gilbert is out of the program. And in my opinion he's correct not to distinguish between them because they're both trash.
Well I didn’t read any posts saying either, but Twitter is full of knuckleheads that hide behind anonymity so I’m sure some were bad and out of line. When a guy tries to take one ill advised layup after another though and the team loses a very winnable game, I do think it’s fair to question it on a message board without attacking the kid.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, during the little halftime interview the announcer was like "that was an AMAZING first half" or something when it was really just a "solid" first half, and Hurley made a funny face, but he was otherwise very positive especially towards James. The interviewer (who was also the color man) seemed super inexperienced and loose with his word choice.

The announcing was pretty awful throughout, except for the play-by-play guy the last game who was the first person all year to actually pronounce Christian's last name correctly lol

Reaction Score
St. Benedict’s is indeed a very special place. Father Leahy is a true force for good, and the number of lives that school has positively impacted is inspiring.
Is Robert Chambers still around in Newark?

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, during the little halftime interview the announcer was like "that was an AMAZING first half" or something when it was really just a "solid" first half, and Hurley made a funny face, but he was otherwise very positive especially towards James. The interviewer (who was also the color man) seemed super inexperienced and loose with his word choice.

The announcing was pretty awful throughout, except for the play-by-play guy the last game who was the first person all year to actually pronounce Christian's last name correctly lol
Both announcers were calling him Vytall the entire game until they ran a player profile and Christian pronounced his own name Vital, lol. Then the play by play guy started saying it right.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well I didn’t read any posts saying either, but Twitter is full of knuckleheads that hide behind anonymity so I’m sure some were bad and out of line. When a guy tries to take one ill advised layup after another though and the team loses a very winnable game, I do think it’s fair to question it on a message board without attacking the kid.
This is why the chat is best for in-game comments; they can and should be hot takes, like the kind you say to each other while watching the game together in person. And they should be evanescent.

I get that Hurley--and I as well--are old men yelling at clouds here, but the problem with today's Twitterverse is that everything is a hot take, and fewer people are taking the time for measured responses even when they are "writing in ink" on social media or the internet.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the whole point of his comments was to take the focus off Gilbert. Now, those people who were all in their feelings can just shift it over to be mad at the coach. He can take it, plus he gets paid a ton to do it.

Channeling his inner Mike Gundy

Reaction Score
St. Benedict’s is indeed a very special place. Father Leahy is a true force for good, and the number of lives that school has positively impacted is inspiring.
Still a soccer school to me! ;)

Reaction Score
Still a soccer school to me! ;)

Tremendous soccer program!

People talk a lot about St. Anthony with the Hurleys, but it’s the philosophy and work that gets done at St. Benedict’s that’s had an even bigger influence on Dan. He spent 9 years there coaching and teaching, and it’s still an important place for him.

If anyone’s interested and has the time, these clips are from a 60 Minutes feature from a few years back about the school-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom