Post Play | The Boneyard

Post Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The success of this years team centers on the post. Last year we saw Dolson have an incredible year but struggle in the final game. We has no one else to give us a presence down low. This year we brought in Stokes and are depending on either Johnson or Buck to be able to come off the bench and give us some good rebounding and defense when we need it. Our guards are incredible and they will win a lot of games for us. But in those tough games when we have to grind it out. If Dolson who I think is awesome as a person and player is in foul trouble or struggling that is where we will see how far we go this year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The success of this years team centers on the post. Last year we saw Dolson have an incredible year but struggle in the final game. We has no one else to give us a presence down low. This year we brought in Stokes and are depending on either Johnson or Buck to be able to come off the bench and give us some good rebounding and defense when we need it. Our guards are incredible and they will win a lot of games for us. But in those tough games when we have to grind it out. If Dolson who I think is awesome as a person and player is in foul trouble or struggling that is where we will see how far we go this year.

Of course, completely bogus officiating for 5 minutes helped. Fouls and position deemed solid and non fouls all year suddenly were whistled.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Stef and Kiah will be outstanding on the post for us this season.

Reaction Score
Of course, completely bogus officiating for 5 minutes helped. Fouls and position deemed solid and non fouls all year sudden were whistled.
I agree the officiating was awful but it could happen again. If Stokes is good and able to play extended minutes it changes the game for us. The only thing I think we are missing that we are getting next year is a power forward like stewart or tuck. We will see maybe Johnson or Stokes can play that position. I don't see lewis doing it because she is so deadly from the arc.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't see Michala as being a post presence in the traditional sense, although she is a pretty good offensive rebounder. She seems like more of a slasher - we will see how things play out. Stokes, for sure, will be key this year. As a freshman, she will take some time to figure things out but hopefully by January/February she will be feeling confident in her role. If this happens, we could be very good, because the role that she can [potentially] fill is our biggest need.

Buck is an X factor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't see Michala as being a post presence in the traditional sense, although she is a pretty good offensive rebounder. She seems like more of a slasher - we will see how things play out. Stokes, for sure, will be key this year. As a freshman, she will take some time to figure things out but hopefully by January/February she will be feeling confident in her role. If this happens, we could be very good, because the role that she can [potentially] fill is our biggest need.

Buck is an X factor.
That is exactly how i see it. a great deal depends on who earns PT ahead of the other - Heather or Kiah. Michala i see more as a Swin type player - not as skilled of course, but slender and not a banger in the post like Williams or Jones was...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree the officiating was awful but it could happen again. If Stokes is good and able to play extended minutes it changes the game for us. The only thing I think we are missing that we are getting next year is a power forward like stewart or tuck. We will see maybe Johnson or Stokes can play that position. I don't see lewis doing it because she is so deadly from the arc.
Yes, it can happen again but it wasn't exactly because Stef had a bad game or struggled.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected again on the boneyard! I forgot our post play was very good against notre dame.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I stand corrected again on the boneyard! I forgot our post play was very good against notre dame.
Different thing, Rob, didn't say that post play was good or brilliant simply that the cause was something different than Stef playing poorly or struggling. Having a quality back up for Stef certainly will make it harder for officials to take the game away from the kids. If Kiah, Michala and Heather all stand ready to step in with quality support we will be much less vulnerable. Problem was that last year Stef was our only post player ready to go in the tournament since even Heather had been compromised with the stress issue at the end of the season and Michala was still rebuilding her strength.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think Heather, Kiah and Michala are going to be solid this year. i really do. i saw things last year from the two "elders" that showed flashes of really solid post play and i think we've seen Kiah is solid in the post too. we certainly won't lose any games because we have no back up for Stef this year...

Reaction Score
i think Heather, Kiah and Michala are going to be solid this year. i really do. i saw things last year from the two "elders" that showed flashes of really solid post play and i think we've seen Kiah is solid in the post too. we certainly won't lose any games because we have no back up for Stef this year...

Sure hope you are right Eric! I have very little doubt that Kiah is going to something special, but I do have concerns about Heather and Michala. Michala needs to bulk up so that she won't be pushed around in the paint. The problem with Heather is that she has no confidence in herself and plays very timid. Hopefully, she has worked very hard over the summer and comes into the season with alot more self-confidence.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Heather, Kiah, Michela, KLM, and Lauren play together in blowouts as the season progresses. I assume that they are playing together in practice. They might play better as a group then they would as individual substitutions. In combination, there is a lot of height, strength, rebounding and offense. No one would have to do it all. There would be back-up in offensive and defensive rebounding and offense (especially if Brianna were added to the mix.) There would be all fresh legs to maintain defensive pressure. Time will tell; but, if they could be inserted in a first half it could be crushing to the competition.

Reaction Score
Of course, completely bogus officiating for 5 minutes helped. Fouls and position deemed solid and non fouls all year suddenly were whistled.
We will never know if Muffett was working the officials, as most coaches do. To this day, the second half remains unwatched, so will take everyone's word about the officiating. The game, now five months behind us, was a tall order from the jump. Beating a team four games in one season has never been accomplished.

Despite having the nation's second best post player, post play will be UConn's achilles heel. Rebounding, overall, is another huge concern.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We will never know if Muffett was working the officials, as most coaches do. To this day, the second half remains unwatched, so will take everyone's word about the officiating. The game, now five months behind us, was a tall order from the jump. Beating a team four games in one season has never been accomplished.

Despite having the nation's second best post player, post play will be UConn's achilles heel. Rebounding, overall, is another huge concern.

Is the part about 4 times actually true? I know it would be rare, for sure. Both UConn and Baylor tried and failed.

Reaction Score
I posted this comment in another thread some time ago. There was a response stating that the sample size was very, very small. While true, it is all that is available. Georgetown-St. John's 1985, Baylor-Texas A&M 2011, and UConn-Notre Dame 2011 were among the small sample size cited. They might possibly be the only three occurrences. I will re-research it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I posted this comment in another thread some time ago. There was a response stating that the sample size was very, very small. While true, it is all that is available. Georgetown-St. John's 1985, Baylor-Texas A&M 2011, and UConn-Notre Dame 2011 were among the small sample size cited. They might possibly be the only three occurrences. I will re-research it.
Thanks. Yes, the sample size is very, very small. How about ACC--2 regular season, ACC tourney, and NCAAs? Maryland and Duke in 2006?

Reaction Score
Maryland and Duke did, in fact, meet four times in 2006. Duke won the first two games, Marlyand took the two more important contests.

Some crack research shows that, unofficially, there have been 419 instances(416 men, 3 women) when two college basketball teams have met at least four times in a single season. since 1976, there have been 27 such instances. All told there have been 132 season sweeps; Six such sweeps since 1976, all on the men's side:
1978 - Nebraska over Oklahoma State
1979 - Duke over NC State
1979 - Oklahoma over Kansas State
1986 - Kentucky over Alabama
1992 - Cincinnati over Memphis
2000 - Michigan State over Wisconsin

Statistically, a team has a 32 per cent chance of beating a team four times in one season overall. Since 1976, that figure is reduced to 22 per cent. It has never been accomplished on the women's side.

Interestingly, Washington swept Oregon State 5-0 in 1936, Oregon State swept Oregon 5-0 in 1962, and Oregon swept Washington State 5-0 in 1963.

My primary source:
http://www.rpiratings.com/fourinone.html

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maryland and Duke did, in fact, meet four times in 2006. Duke won the first two games, Marlyand took the two more important contests.

Some crack research shows that, unofficially, there have been 419 instances(416 men, 3 women) when two college basketball teams have met at least four times in a single season. since 1976, there have been 27 such instances. All told there have been 132 season sweeps; Six such sweeps since 1976, all on the men's side:
1978 - Nebraska over Oklahoma State
1979 - Duke over NC State
1979 - Oklahoma over Kansas State
1986 - Kentucky over Alabama
1992 - Cincinnati over Memphis
2000 - Michigan State over Wisconsin

Statistically, a team has a 32 per cent chance of beating a team four times in one season overall. Since 1976, that figure is reduced to 22 per cent. It has never been accomplished on the women's side.

Interestingly, Washington swept Oregon State 5-0 in 1936, Oregon State swept Oregon 5-0 in 1962, and Oregon swept Washington State 5-0 in 1963.

My primary source:
http://www.rpiratings.com/fourinone.html
Really nice work--and surprising results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom