Post Play still Uconn's Achilles Heel | The Boneyard

Post Play still Uconn's Achilles Heel

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Until ONO/AE/DJ at least looks to be a threat in the paint our guards will have much more pressure placed on them with any good defensive team, we are still way too one-dimensional... We need to look to run full court when playing teams that are bigger and stronger... I really Miss Aubrey's Energy for games like these... One more thing, I'm getting really annoyed with our team's passive, always under control (Softness) Somebody other than CW needs to get mad darn it...

Reaction Score
Until ONO/AE/DJ at least looks to be a threat in the paint our guards will have much more pressure placed on them with any good defensive team, we are still way too one-dimensional... We need to look to run full court when playing teams that are bigger and stronger... I really Miss Aubrey's Energy for games like these... One more thing, I'm getting really annoyed with our team's passive, always under control (Softness) Somebody other than CW needs to get mad darn it...
In all fairness, when your guards get beat and you have to help that much...there are consequences. Lot of the rebounds were long ones so not sure you can lay all that on the posts. I said it before...these girls are too nice. I think this was a necessary wake up call. I was hoping we didn't play man to man defense all game. It's November.

Reaction Score
Shouldn’t this have been put in the post game thread? Being discussed there ad-nauseum.

Reaction Score
Liv played huge. She had at least 6 plays that gave us the ball- blocks and a charge. So, essentially she forced 6 turnovers. She plays Boston tough.
Geno's got to coach em' up. He has to do something to take away their inside advantage from them. AE and DJ obviously have to start playing like accomplished DI players. Other than that, he has to exploit a weakness of their's to counter their advantage inside. Can we pressure them further from the basket? If we can, that forces their posts to come further out. Today, he played them straight up and they KO'd us. It certainly doesn't help that we cannot stop drives or penetration. EVER! That's Middle School stuff. Maybe that's priority one. After we start actually cutting off penetration or drives, we can start pressuring further out.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Liv played huge. She had at least 6 plays that gave us the ball- blocks and a charge. So, essentially she forced 6 turnovers. She plays Boston tough.
Geno's got to coach em' up. He has to do something to take away their inside advantage from them. AE and DJ obviously have to start playing like accomplished DI players. Other than that, he has to exploit a weakness of their's to counter their advantage inside. Can we pressure them further from the basket? If we can, that forces their posts to come further out. Today, he played them straight up and they KO'd us. It certainly doesn't help that we cannot stop drives or penetration. EVER! That's Middle School stuff. Maybe that's priority one. After we start actually cutting off penetration or drives, we can start pressuring further out.
She also did something I have been asking for silently for the longest time, that is to head/Shoulder fake and then made a sweet pass out of it as well, I just need her to be more confident, especially being a senior... They are leaving her wide open at the top of the key and she's not even looking at the rim, just for cutters.. which is why the head fake was so effective.

Reaction Score
Darn it, you are right.

Reaction Score
She also did something I have been asking for silently for the longest time, that is to head/Shoulder fake and then made a sweet pass out of it as well, I just need her to be more confident, especially being a senior... They are leaving her wide open at the top of the key and she's not even looking at the rim, just for cutters.. which is why the head fake was so effective.
She is not a complete player. She must shoot and make open 10-12 footers. If she can't..... find someone who can. If no one can, let's play 5 guards.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I posted these stats in another thread, but I have the sense that it wasn't read, so let me repeat it here. The following data is from the UConn-SC box score:

For South Carolina:

Boston 22 points, 15 rebounds in 34 minutes (includes 7 offensive rebounds)
Saxton 2 points, 3 rebounds in 22 minutes
Cardoso 4 points, 6 rebounds in 12 minutes
Amihere 1 point, 2 rebounds in 17 minutes

For UConn:

Liv 6 points, 5 rebounds in 34 minutes
Aaliyah 6 points, 3 rebounds in 22 minutes
Dorka 2 points, 3 rebounds (all offensive!) in 19 minutes

The only conclusion to draw from this is that Aaliyah Boston dominated all post players in this game. Apart from her, South Carolina's other three post players had no significant advantage in statistical performance in comparison with their UConn counterparts. Regarding offensive rebounds (where SC dominated in team stats), Victoria Saxton had 2 O-bounds, and no other SC post had more than 1.

So it is really incorrect to say that that SC dominated UConn in the paint. The correct statement is that Aaliyah Boston dominated everyone in the paint. If Boston had not played, SC would have had no real advantage in the paint.

Of course, Boston is part of SC so this distinction may seem artificial. But still, it's important to realize that we are talking about a supreme performance by one player, not an overall team advantage. I'm sure that will be noted and will make an impact on UConn's game planning for the January rematch.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I don't get to see a lot of UCONN unless their games are broadcast on a network I get on my cable system, but I will say I thought Nelson-Ododa played the best game I had seen from her yesterday against South Carolina. I can tell she worked hard in the off-season. UCONN got away from what was making them successful.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Until she takes and makes that shot....well, if wishes and buts—

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
UCONN better start recruiting some BIGS. They have enough guards for a while.

Reaction Score
I posted these stats in another thread, but I have the sense that it wasn't read, so let me repeat it here. The following data is from the UConn-SC box score:

For South Carolina:

For UConn:

The only conclusion to draw from this is that Aaliyah Boston dominated all post players in this game. Apart from her, South Carolina's other three post players had no significant advantage in statistical performance in comparison with their UConn counterparts. Regarding offensive rebounds (where SC dominated in team stats), Victoria Saxton had 2 O-bounds, and no other SC post had more than 1.

So it is really incorrect to say that that SC dominated UConn in the paint. The correct statement is that Aaliyah Boston dominated everyone in the paint. If Boston had not played, SC would have had no real advantage in the paint.

Of course, Boston is part of SC so this distinction may seem artificial. But still, it's important to realize that we are talking about a supreme performance by one player, not an overall team advantage. I'm sure that will be noted and will make an impact on UConn's game planning for the January rematch.
Boston will be the number one selection the WNBA...so it is not surprising. I can't figure out how SC lost in the NCAAs last year.

Reaction Score
UCONN better start recruiting some BIGS. They have enough guards for a whileh

Didn't we recruit Piath Gabriel ( sophomore): Didn't we recruit De Berry ( freshman)? Our problem is none of them come ready to contribute. We have two BIG recruits for next year, as well. And we enticed Dorka ( 6' 5") to join UCONN. But....well, you saw her stats ( 2 point, 3 rebounds ( all offensive ) in 19 minutes. So what do we do in the next three months? Will someone step up? Seriously, if our plan is to start the same 5 players and go from there.....which is likely....how do we beat South Carolina? ( And there are other teams with some legitimate BIGs as well - like Stanford ).

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Actually, I think there is more of a problem with depth among guards in the 2022-23 season than in the front court. As of now, we will have Paige, Azzi, and Nika as true guards, and that is it. Conceivably Aubrey and/or Mir could become guards, or maybe Caroline could, but none of them are really ideal. Aubrey and Mir currently don't have the outside shot, and Caroline doesn't seem to have the defensive speed that perimeter defense requires.

I predict Geno will be looking in the transfer portal for backup guards at the end of this year.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
In all fairness, when your guards get beat and you have to help that much...there are consequences. Lot of the rebounds were long ones so not sure you can lay all that on the posts. I said it before...these girls are too nice. I think this was a necessary wake up call. I was hoping we didn't play man to man defense all game. It's November.
Evina said in the post-game interview that our guards need to help out when the bigs are doing the initial boxing out of their bigs, but honestly, as I was watching this game and one or two games before, as a team with a few exceptions, we seemed pretty slow reacting to the ball, we looked really tired in that game... How can you not have the energy to play in a one-two match-up? I'm just disappointed... And I'm sure they are too, will be interesting to see if any of these things change going forward..

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
:) We have enough bigs and guards going forward, what we dont have right now is players with that mean streak/killer instinct along with their elite talents, such as (Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Swin Cash) etc.. There was once a time when you got behind a UCONN WBB team and it was lights out, game over, nowadays everybody have belief they can get back in the game against us.. We are no longer instilling that fear... The talent is there, but the attitude is not.. It's all about belief and energy... Take a punch and punch them back even harder... It's been stated here a million times already, we are way too nice on the court...

Reaction Score

For South Carolina:

For UConn:

Dorka's 5 turnovers should not be discounted.

Reaction Score
Post play is fine. Given that we have a guard heavy offense. I think that our post play is okay. In this game against South Carolina, I did not even get upset with our players, especially the post players. I do agree with you on the whole "Softness" approach by the team. I do wish that we had that "Dawg" out there. A player with a chip on their shoulder type mindset.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Post play is fine. Given that we have a guard heavy offense. I think that our post play is okay. In this game against South Carolina, I did not even get upset with our players, especially the post players. I do agree with you on the whole "Softness" approach by the team. I do wish that we had that "Dawg" out there. A player with a chip on their shoulder type mindset.
According to Geno, the game strategies for both teams:
UConn was willing to give up the 3 ball to SC because their strength is their post
And South Carolina wanted to Harrass/Deny our Guards and ignore our bigs and play those odds
Both strategies worked for both teams, the only problem is rebounding made up for the missed opportunities and kept South Carolina in the game..

Just on that alone, it would be tough to say/agree that our post play is fine.. Yes OnO played well for 30 mins, but our post play is clearly our weakness right now if it is being disrespected by our opponents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom