Post-ND pressers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post-ND pressers

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno is often asked about an opponent's player, typically after a game at the opponent's arena. He's never appeared offended by those questions, nor should he be. Smh

I have no idea what Muffet said and doubt I would be bothered if I did.
and he may have won all those games at the opponent's arena. What did MM say about Crystal, she's better... * everyone here has said the same thing

Reaction Score
What is the standard for greatness? I believe it has to be more than one national championship in 35 years. Maybe I'm a tough marker but I'm not sure I would extend the list of "great" college basketball coaches much beyond Geno, John Wooden, Pat Summit and Coach K.

Nah- we can agree to disagree here. My standard for great is less than yours. If anything you do is among the best 2/3/4 in the country over a 10 year stretch like her teams - I'll put that in "great category." If you had her 10 year run, and her teams being as successful as they've been - yeah I'd say she is great. You make the Hall of Fame in your profession you are great. I do understand that there is a certain pecking order. For example baseball - 1st ballot HOF is better than 2nd etc. Thus there are degrees of greatness.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Nah- we can agree to disagree here. My standard for great is less than yours. If anything you do is among the best 2/3/4 in the country over a 10 year stretch like her teams - I'll put that in "great category." If you had her 10 year run, and her teams being as successful as they've been - yeah I'd say she is great. You make the Hall of Fame in your profession you are great. I do understand that there is a certain pecking order. For example baseball - 1st ballot HOF is better than 2nd etc. Thus there are degrees of greatness.
Perhaps semantics, then. If Geno, Summit, Wooden and Coach K are "great" then Muffet, Tara, et al, have to be labeled something lesser...in my opinion.

Reaction Score
well said... the things you read on these message boards!

I don't understand how they expect the opponent to bow down and kiss your Converse... talk about arrogant. Id be offended if the asked me about the other team's player performance (Dangerfield). Did anyone ask Geno about ND's best player today, maybe I missed it

I agree regarding orangutan's post. I put a like there not that it matters. But I think you are being way over-sensitive. You mean you never heard Geno talk about another player? Even in a loss?

Reaction Score
Perhaps semantics, then. If Geno, Summit, Wooden and Coach K are "great" then Muffet, Tara, et al, have to be labeled something lesser...in my opinion.

I agree semantics.
I think Geno, Summitt and Coach K and Wooden are 1st ballot HOF. Do you think Muffett was worthy to get into the HOF? DO you think if you get into the HOF - you are considered great?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was shocked Muffet McGraw didn't have players at the post presser. When Notre Dame lose to UConn, she throw the players under the bus. Muffet McGraw isn't a good coach. I believe if she had it her way, UConn would not be on her schedule. Until Muffet learn how to spell team, Notre Dame will not win another Championship. She was lucky with Ruth Riley. She didn't win with Skylar and Jewel, and she won't win with Arike and Mabrey. Muffet McGraw constantly look to Ivey for assistance, but Ivey look just as confused as Muffet. Muffet McGraw is a very bitter Coach and Mabrey is delusional.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I was watching Geno and muffett's pregame convo very intently and it looked like Geno was all smiles and Muffett was anything but amused. I think Geno loves sticking it to Muffett!!

I am convinced she jumped out of the plane on the way back to Indiana - this one had to kill her

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But as the old saying goes, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Notre Dame, for all the times Muffet tweaks Connecticut's nose, plays really, really well. They play more like UConn- tenacious defense, seamless transition, great guard play, excellent outside shooting with great quickness- than any other team in WCBB. Stanford is always stacked with big players, but they are slow and ponderous, and when UConn is really good, they exploit Stanford's slowness. South Carolina is not that well coached. They have had some great players, including A'ja Wilson, who is probably one of the best bigs to ever play the game. But they are clumsy, and aren't well coordinated. Louisville plays well in spurts, but suffers from overstocked bench and defections.

Muffett tends to irritate, but year after year her team puts on the best display of well-coached basketball in the game, save for UConn. No one else this year has given us a areal fight, and I'm guessing that no one will again, unless it's Notre Dame.
SC is not AS well coached. Otherwise, I agree.

Reaction Score
I was shocked Muffet McGraw didn't have players at the post presser. When Notre Dame lose to UConn, she throw the players under the bus. Muffet McGraw isn't a good coach. I believe if she had it her way, UConn would not be on her schedule. Until Muffet learn how to spell team, Notre Dame will not win another Championship. She was lucky with Ruth Riley. She didn't win with Skylar and Jewel, and she won't win with Arike and Mabrey. Muffet McGraw constantly look to Ivey for assistance, but Ivey look just as confused as Muffet. Muffet McGraw is a very bitter Coach and Mabrey is delusional.
A bit harsh are we? Any coach that has had one of the best teams in their sport for 10-15 years deserves kudos.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

Not surprised that the players were not at the post game presser. If you watch the end of the game, they could not get off the court fast enough. They must be devastated by the way the game turned around after I am sure they thought they had it won. It's one thing to lose a close game, it's another to have it wrenched out of your grasp by an overwhelming will and determination that they were not able to match. That 4th quarter showed ND that they are not on the same level as UCONN when UCONN play their best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Other than vs Texas A&M in 2011 (?), I would love to know all these years in which ND should've won.
LoL
Didn't ND have a recent UNDEFEATED regular season which was cause for great celebration among the ND faithful? :eek::(

Reaction Score
LoL
Didn't ND have a recent UNDEFEATED regular season which was cause for great celebration among the ND faithful? :eek::(

Yeah, and they lost to Stewie-Mo-Tuck in the finals. Or are you saying they should've won that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, and they lost to Stewie-Mo-Tuck in the finals. Or are you saying they should've won that?
No.... I'm saying, some ND folks would say they should have won. How are you just going to dismiss Achowa getting hurt like that? :D:eek:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I agree semantics.
I think Geno, Summitt and Coach K and Wooden are 1st ballot HOF. Do you think Muffett was worthy to get into the HOF? DO you think if you get into the HOF - you are considered great?
Two very good questions, HH. To the first, given that there are coaches in the HOF who did not achieve even one national championship, yes, then by that standard, MM belongs. As to the second question, it seems to me that the HOF sometimes confuses consistency with excellence. Does being "very good" for a long time mean that you are/were "great?" I tend to think not but recognize that others may feel differently.

l like the distinction you made between a Hall of Famer and a first-ballot Hall of Famer but it's bit bulky in its application. I'm just looking for some semantic separation between Geno--I think his 11 national titles have earned him that--and the Muffets, Taras, Kims, Brendas and Dawns of the game who, combined, have what, seven championships? If we label Muffet "great" what adjective should we use for Geno?

Thanks for a provocative but civil debate.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Not Tuck. That year's UConn team was Dolson-Stewie-Jefferson-Hartley-KML. Stokes as the 6th woman.

Kind of mental that ND started Taya Reimer and Ariel Braker in that game opposite Stewart and Dolson. What a total mismatch. No surprise that Stewart and Dolson outscored Reimer and Braker 38-8 and outrebounded them 25-8.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can someone else read this and tell me what they think???
It came across to me as a tad snarky.
Before I say anything bad I want a second opinion.
Home court advantage huge for UConn
I think what you have is a writer who would have much rather be writing about an upset of UCONN because that would have made for a better story. Everything else is pretty much accurate and non-offending IMO-says this UCONN fan.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Can someone else read this and tell me what they think???

It came across to me as a tad snarky.

Before I say anything bad I want a second opinion.

Home court advantage huge for UConn

I'd take it as a compliment, really.

What does this say about us? In my opinion, it says a few things:

1) That some folks are just happy to come within single-digits of us when the buzzer sounds.
2) That most folks, just by virtue of writing this, believe that beating us is harder than solving the national debt.
3) That we support our Huskies like few other teams do, and arguably, like no other team does.

The snark that comes with it might just be "journalistic license", but the underlying message tells me that we are doing a lot of things right... :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not Tuck. That year's UConn team was Dolson-Stewie-Jefferson-Hartley-KML. Stokes as the 6th woman.

Kind of mental that ND started Taya Reimer and Ariel Braker in that game opposite Stewart and Dolson. What a total mismatch. No surprise that Stewart and Dolson outscored Reimer and Braker 38-8 and outrebounded them 25-8.
Ah yes.. Ariel Braker! Did someone every break the news to her that she was over matched? All kidding aside Braker is 1 of two people I remember straight up blocking a Stewie perimerter jump shot. The other person was Slaughter of Louisville in 2013 championship game.

Reaction Score
I'll say MM is a great coach. And her presser today I agree. Excellent. And I even like the half-smile she gave when I think she was asked in some manner if she was okay with the loss. She wasn't okay with it- which a top coach with a strong team wouldn't be. I'm sure she would love to grab the reporter by the shoulders and shake him senseless. I just can't believe several years ago how much she completely hated UCONN. That seems to have passed. Glad for that.
She is on much more of an even keel than a few years back...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ah yes.. Ariel Braker! Did someone every break the news to her that she was over matched? All kidding aside Braker is 1 of two people I remember straight up blocking a Stewie perimerter jump shot. The other person was Slaughter of Louisville in 2013 championship game.

Ariel Braker, from Grosse Points Woods, Michigan*. Now an assistant coach at Lehigh.

*Always think of John Cusack's movie, "Grosse Point Blank" whenever I remember that, causing me to chuckle, which is unfortunate because Ariel was a team captain and altogether straight shooter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ariel Braker, from Grosse Points Woods, Michigan*. Now an assistant coach at Lehigh. *Always think of John Cusack's movie, "Grosse Point Blank" whenever I remember that, causing me to chuckle, which is unfortunate because Ariel was a team captain and altogether straight shooter.
Did not realize that Ariel was right up the road from me at Lehigh-good to know.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Whoa...look how many of those folks are now in the WNBA or coaching in the collegiate ranks.
But here's an interesting one:
- Someone on the ND board wondered if Shepard's first half might translate into future games and I thought, "we'll see the next game against Michigan State. " And whom will Shep be matched up against? None other than ND grad Taya Reimer! The more things change, sometimes the more they stay the same (kinda). :rolleyes: ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom