Post Game Video Comments | The Boneyard

Post Game Video Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I found Geno's comments about Kyla Irwin particularly interesting. He said she does quite a few things "pretty good", but like all freshmen, she hurries too much. Also, she doesn't really know how to play defense "UConn Style" or much of any style I guess, except he said she should just try to "get in the way" now. LOL!

Reaction Score
I found Geno's comments about Kyla Irwin particularly interesting. He said she does quite a few things "pretty good", but like all freshmen, she hurries too much. Also, she doesn't really know how to play defense "UConn Style" or much of any style I guess, except he said she should just try to "get in the way" now. LOL!
Keeps Geno's record intact, having now criticized the defense of every single freshman he's ever recruited.

some take-aways,
  • Above all, Geno seems really relaxed, as if he's playing with house money (which he is this year). Just as happy talking about Ray-Ray as his own team.
  • "At some point Lou will throw a pass"...he wants her to be more creative, maybe forcing the drive and dumping off. He wants to make her the offensive engine this year, and she will accept the challenge 'cause in her heart she's an assassin.
  • Good shout-out for Saniya at the end, but cautioning that she's a November player, and is still waiting to see what happens in December.
  • We should be very clear about what he says: "we're really small". This is going to be a big, big challenge going forward. Gabby and Pheesa can play tall, but they aren't tall and they're not wide. UConn needs a big body underneath....After last night, I'm thinking Kyla will be taught to play a bit more like Morgan and share the 5 with Natalie (though maybe neither will start, at least at first).
  • his riff on the simple apparel that teams used to give out compared to today's swag is an interesting statement when we consider the pictures of a currently highly recruited player taken at a competitor's school (initials are ND).
  • Still questioning who will be the leader, but not concerned. okay if it's "by committee". Obviously, that role should belong to Kia, who's started the most games and has the most international experience, but I'm still thinking--see above--that the better long term investment is Lou. Lou is the only player this year (next year also AZ) who potentially can really take over a game against top competition.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Gabby's interview. Never heard from her much in the past. Very sure of herself. Comes across as a leader. Interesting outfit for Kia; for a second there it had me thinking she signed up for ROTC. Lou, wow girl that backpack could wear you down! Interesting comment from Lou about how there is a lot of learning going on for all of tem, not just the freshmen, because all of us are playing different positions this year. Sort of brought me up short; gotta chew on that a while. Geno appears well pleased with where his freshmen are now. He'd be happy to know I agree! ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"At some point Lou will throw a pass"...he wants her to be more creative, maybe forcing the drive and dumping off. He wants to make her the offensive engine this year, and she will accept the challenge 'cause in her heart she's an assassin.

BINGO. And LOU wants it bad. She's ready for the weight of it.

Reaction Score
I like that the California kid is wearing the heavy coat! A little overkill for last night, but I bet her parents make her wear it. :)

And I think Lou's point is right: this year's team really isn't faster than last year's team. It has to seem faster, because it won't consistently beat the best teams with its half court offense.

Reaction Score
Geno said that he wanted to see what the chemistry among this new group would be. Although it's his job not to be TOO happy, I hope he appreciated what he saw out of the gate. Gabby said the team was playing together really well. That's the impression I had; a pleasant surprise. I was also struck with the balance on the court, how almost everyone shared and converted effort into accomplishment. IUP scored too many points in quarter one, but UConn promptly put paid to that and shut the opponent down thereafter. Important: Gabby was her sensational self WITHOUT fouling. This is huge: playing great + playing smart. Saniya was terrific, too: minimizing mistakes and blending perfectly with her teammates. Molly was another pleasant surprise, handled the ball with confidence and really does remind me of Kelly. Be prepared to love Kyla (if everyone can agree she ISN'T Kayla). This young lady is exactly what the doctor ordered for a team that's height challenged. Anyway, hope that in his secret thoughts Coach liked what he saw. I did.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That "get in the way" is another classic Genoism when you think about it. The objective of all defense is to get in the way of what the offense is trying to do. My translation is: For now Kyla is doing just fine defensively by just getting in the way. As long as Kyla keeps working hard which she will get to the UCONN level of Defense.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No one mentioned in the game and post game threads, but the eight turnovers last night was pretty impressive - for a team first night out, playing a fast offensive game (111 pts.) even against an overmatched team to only have eight turnovers was great. A/TO of 2.75 as a team is good! And I think it speaks to quickly developing chemistry.
Just as a reference last year's senior laden team had 17 assists and 10 TOs for a 1.7 ratio against Lubbock Christian. (Second preseason game they went 22, 9, 2.44)

Reaction Score
No one mentioned in the game and post game threads, but the eight turnovers last night was pretty impressive - for a team first night out, playing a fast offensive game (111 pts.) even against an overmatched team to only have eight turnovers was great. A/TO of 2.75 as a team is good! And I think it speaks to quickly developing chemistry.
Just as a reference last year's senior laden team had 17 assists and 10 TOs for a 1.7 ratio against Lubbock Christian. (Second preseason game they went 22, 9, 2.44)
This team has to develop chemistry, and fast. You can't hide on this team this year. There's no Stewie or Mo or Tuck to pick up the slack or sit back and watch as they take over a game. If a game needs to be taken over, these players are going to have to do it themselves and not defer to a senior to take care of business.

Reaction Score
I have never had any luck searching for and finding recent pressers. I gave up a year or two ago. I just search for UConn basketball. If pressers show up in the search results I consider myself lucky and then share with a few hundred of my wbb-crazy descendants. :D

That's all I got!
Thanks!

Reaction Score
Bags---Intelligent, concise , informative--pure Bags.
Bullet 4---We are really small? Does that mean he is discounting Butler, Katie Lou. Look at last years team--Stewie 6-3 , Tuck 6 ft, then this years Core. Stewie is the only REAL size change. So how does he arrive at the SMALL comment. Without Butler doing her REAL thing--maybe. So is Butler the size difference??
Kyla--if she starts scoring and moving on D--could be a top Frosh.
Gabby--will be a whirling dervish--a living breathing mass of momentum. A package of Quantum Energy. She's the E --in E=MC2.
Leadership role--you can't anoint it, the team has to believe in the leader--KIA should be it--then who is next with the guts to open their mouth??

Reaction Score
This team has to develop chemistry, and fast. You can't hide on this team this year. There's no Stewie or Mo or Tuck to pick up the slack or sit back and watch as they take over a game. If a game needs to be taken over, these players are going to have to do it themselves and not defer to a senior to take care of business.

I agree with much of what you wrote--EVERYONE must embrace stepping up as the opportunity presents itself. I believe there is CHEMISTRY! Geno's CORE (no not That C.O.R.E.) has chemistry--it's the fifth wheel that comes off the bench --that must be integrated into the Core. Molly from reports slid right in as did kyla.
The interviews with Gabby and Katie LOU show that each knows that they are the go to players for Uconn--if only kls learned to pass (kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom