Post game thread | The Boneyard

Post game thread

Reaction Score
Congrats to ND. Sigh is right - the OT curse continues. Two years now on last second shots - oof.

Thanks to the luxury of hindsight, you can always wonder if things might have come out differently with a few different choices. What if Azura had come into the game earlier in the 3rd, for instance? That sort of thing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know there will be a lot of nashing of teeth and finger pointing, but for the record, this was two great teams playing incredibly hard, each going only 6 deep.

In the end, Notre Dame outplayed UConn and deserved the win. Young, who had been schooled by Lou in each of the last two games vs UConn was spectacular tonight, and the difference in the game.

Reaction Score
I thought our perimeter D was less than spectacular. KLS went to sleep after the 4 th foul .UConn needed to get her shots . Kia had an off night.

Reaction Score
Passing. One word says it all. I cannot recall a game when there were more dumb, soft passes by UConn players. Give Notre Dame credit. They were as tough as nails, and I would not want to be Mississippi State Sunday,
Completely agree. Also, so much circling around the key without sharp cuts.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wonderful game, we had our chances
Jackie Young was the most efficient player on the court
A little bit like the Candace Wiggins game (year?)
I was worried about ND's pluck and determination
Their defense has gotten so much better.
Young is a very fine player
The others we know.
Good on them, they competed without fear, fought their hearts out and prevailed.

Reaction Score
Why not have Z in the game to try the plat they tried with Gabby? At 6'6" she would have had an easier time scoring over the player who guarded Gabby. Oh well.

Completely agree and wanted her in the game the entire second half/overtime. Love Geno, not blaming a HOF coach and GOAT but just don’t like having the biggest mismatch of the game on the bench for the final 3 seconds of regulation or last 3:30 of overtime. She left Shepard for the open layup with 3:30 left in OT and that’s when he yanked her, but I wanted so bad for him to stick with her for both post ups and rebounding. But who am I?! Great game and great win by ND.

Reaction Score
I know there will be a lot of nashing of teeth and finger pointing, but for the record, this was two great teams playing incredibly hard, each going only 6 deep.

In the end, Notre Dame outplayed UConn and deserved the win. Young, who had been schooled by Lou in each of the last two games vs UConn was spectacular tonight, and the difference in the game.
True, but the play with Gabby shooting at the end of regulation was terrible. Not the type of shot she is known for making. Got to get KLS a shot in that spot.

Reaction Score
Bye BYers, it's been an experience, but my heart can't take WBB anymore.
I may lurk during the offseason and next season just to see what next year's team ends up looking like as I am expecting a lot of changes.
Seriously? come on now...it is a game!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No second guessing from me. Just need to get over the pain and dive into the WNBA draft drama.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. Also, so much circling around the key without sharp cuts.

Everyone was afraid to take the initiative.

That's the problem with an offense predicated on precision passing. A smart defensive team takes that away, and then you're throwing easy turnovers or otherwise passing it around the perimeter with nobody willing to make an aggressive move.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Seriously? come on now...it is a game!
For some reason, I have become too emotionally wrapped up in UConn WBB, I am too obsessed with it and it is affecting my heart, literally. I don't feel half of this way for the Patriots and BoSox, both of whom I have been a fan of for waaaaaay longer. I'm talking Yaz and Steve Grogan eras...so...
But I must admit that I am curious to see how Lou finishes her Husky career...

Reaction Score
It's 3:21 in the morning and I haven't been able to sleep. There is no reason why I'm so emotionally connected to the Huskies. Tomorrow, I'm going to take a nice bike ride and try to forget about this draining game. I think I'll let Geno correct UConn's flaws. It's way beyond me.

Reaction Score
Kia was too far off Arike on the buzzer beater. But I always said don’t let her get hot and she did what you have to do to beat a team like Uconn. Save your legs in the 4th

Reaction Score
For some reason, I have become too emotionally wrapped up in UConn WBB, I am too obsessed with it and it is affecting my heart, literally. I don't feel half of this way for the Patriots and BoSox, both of whom I have been a fan of for waaaaaay longer. I'm talking Yaz and Steve Grogan eras...so...
But I must admit that I am curious to see how Lou finishes her Husky career...
I hate to ask or even thin this, but do you think the dynasty is coming to an end?? cuz ima a Pats, BoSox fan and can’t say enough bout the huskies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True, but the play with Gabby shooting at the end of regulation was terrible. Not the type of shot she is known for making. Got to get KLS a shot in that spot.
UConn had 3.6 seconds to get a shot from half court. Lou is UConn’s best inbound passer. Geno drew up a play to pull everyone away from the basket other than Gabby who is a superior athlete to Ogunbowle who was guarding her. I’ve seen Gabby make that jump shot on many occasions

It was an excellent play call. Gabby just didn’t hit a tough but makeable shot.

Reaction Score
UConn had 3.6 seconds to get a shot from half court. Lou is UConn’s best inbound passer. Geno drew up a play to pull everyone away from the basket other than Gabby who is a superior athlete to Ogunbowle who was guarding her. I’ve seen Gabby make that jump shot on many occasions

All is true, but a very difficult shot for any player, with momentum carrying her to base line. Would have preferred a straight on jumper . Two seasons in a row having the ball with the last shot , with adequate time to get a shot off and not having a good play prepared. Hard to swallow FT disparity of 23 to 6 also, but I guess from now we should figure it in to pregame anticipation. What a long strange trip it's been !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All is true, but a very difficult shot for any player, with momentum carrying her to base line. Would have preferred a straight on jumper . Two seasons in a row having the ball with the last shot , with adequate time to get a shot off and not having a good play prepared. Hard to swallow FT disparity of 23 to 6 also, but I guess from now we should figure it in to pregame anticipation. What a long strange trip it's been !
Tough shot for sure. Ogunbowle was closing hard on the shot. If Gabby had the presence of mind to pump fake, she would have ended up on the foul line needing 1 of 2 free throws to win the game. Of course hindsight is 20/20.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia was too far off Arike on the buzzer beater. But I always said don’t let her get hot and she did what you have to do to beat a team like Uconn. Save your legs in the 4th
Kia wasn’t on Ogunbowle. ND ran a screen that switched Pheesa onto Ogunbowle. It was an excellent call by ND to get a slower player on their best one-on-one offensive player.

Reaction Score
Tough shot for sure. Ogunbowle was closing hard on the shot. If Gabby had the presence of mind to pump fake, she would have ended up on the foul line needing 1 of 2 free throws to win the game. Of course hindsight is 20/20.
Actually rewatching game. Huskies really had to work to get shots off, and Kia had a really subpar game. I have always thought the way to beat Irish is to choke off their perimeter game, but Huskies spent a lot of time worrying about Shepard. I wonder who's scout it was ?

Reaction Score

Geno said after the game that they practiced last second scenarios quite a bit, and the team was very good with them. Gabby was in great position to win the game. I'd take my chances with the same play again if life allowed a re-do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom