Post Game Thought On the Win | The Boneyard

Post Game Thought On the Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

I thought this was our most complete game of the year. Offensively we looked good for most of the game. Andre Drummond looked good dunking everything and looked good defensively as well. He looks much more relaxed without that mask on and I expect him to be a beast by February and March. Lamb was very good last night as well. He shot well and rebounded well in he second half. Tyler Olander has once again played well looking for very smooth shooting it and making good passes. He has been our most consistent big man and he never complains which I love about the guy.

I love Roscoe and need to see more of him on the offensive side because he has got the talent and tools to be a really good player and NBA player if he can work on his game offensively. Oriakhi was mediocre again not really impacting the game even though he had 6 rebounds. He has regressed this year, but hopefully for UConn's sake and for his draft stock he picks it up. Boatright played well although he wasn't as involved in the offense as he could of been yesterday. He defends well, plays with passion, and is the best overall talent on this team. Boatright can penetrate at will, and he makes great passes and has great decision making during games and during crunch time. Boatright i believe needs to be the one with the ball in his hands during crunch time in the big games for UConn to be at its best and most effective. Napier had an average game. He tries too much to imitate Kemba though he is nowhere near the player or the athlete that Kemba was and is. Napier needs to be a pass first point guard and not hold the ball for 15 seconds and chuck threes up with the shot clock winding down, which stagnates our offense, and leads to breakdowns for UConn. Napier's decision making has not been good and will hurt us at crunch time in big games. He is better playing off the ball where his great shooting skills can be put to use. We need Boatrights quickness, penetration ability, and decision making to ultimately win the championship. UConn will only go as far as Drummond, Boatright, and Lamb continue to progress and carry us.
Overall, I am happy with the team's progression so far, but there are things that need to be addressed.

Reaction Score
I have never heard anyone dismiss assists because of the other team's defensive breakdowns. If the other team breaks down and you can find a teammate for a dunk, isn't that what a good point guard is supposed to do?

Reaction Score
Love Tyler's improvement since last year and contribution this year.

Two observations:

1. I've never seen Gomer Pyle run, but I imagine it would be about how Tyler runs.
2. Not sure what's with the mama's boy, 1950, straight part/smooth comb hairdo, but I can't help but chuckle every time I see him.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Tyler played great, even though his box score numbers were modest. I was impressed not only with his shooting (a 3!) but his boxing out and interior passing.

Alex's confidence is really shaken. He's playing like a freshman waiting for the famous JC hook. He had real trouble handling and finishing inside.

Drummond is just going to get better. Enjoy the season because it's gonna be his only one in a UConn uniform.

I don't get the Shabazz criticism. He had a nice game. He takes some ill-advised shots but it's hard to criticize a PG shooting close to 50%.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I have never heard anyone dismiss assists because of the other team's defensive breakdowns. If the other team breaks down and you can find a teammate for a dunk, isn't that what a good point guard is supposed to do?

Well, Gottlieb did last night. He dismissed Napier's assist to AD, insisting that the person who made the play was AO for sealing off his defender, allowing Andre a clear path to the basket. I thought the pass was pretty good too, but that's just me.

H

huskymagic

Love Tyler's improvement since last year and contribution this year.

Two observations:

1. I've never seen Gomer Pyle run, but I imagine it would be about how Tyler runs.
2. Not sure what's with the mama's boy, 1950, straight part/smooth comb hairdo, but I can't help but chuckle every time I see him.

LOL I think you wish your hair was as nice Tyler's deep down.
Your right about his running though. I can't help but laugh when I see him run, he looks like a raptor snorlax combo running for his next prey lol.

Reaction Score
Fair point - I think Gottlieb meant more to give AO credit for a heady play than to take it away from Shabazz, but the PG still has to recognize the situation and make the delivery. It isn't as simple as it seems - that exact same bounce pass Shabazz made would have been risky if Drummond couldn't go right into the dunk, because it would have pinned him on the baseline with nowhere to go, and at this stage in AD's career that's a turnover or a bad shot waiting to happen. So Shabazz has to process all that and decide if he's getting the ball to AD in a position where he can do something with it. In the first half, you can maybe take a chance with it, but up 10 with five minutes to go, it's really important not to put your freshman big man in a position to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom