Post-game recap; Boatright meets w/media for final time | The Boneyard

Post-game recap; Boatright meets w/media for final time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Boat and the team were heading to the tunnel before the game I was able to sneak down to the floor. I called his name and wave d him over. I held his hand and told him I loved him and thanked him for all his hard work. I said good luck and also to his mother. I never thought he would be one of the players I would miss the most. He was so gracious.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
As Boat and the team were heading to the tunnel before the game I was able to sneak down to the floor. I called his name and wave d him over. I held his hand and told him I loved him and thanked him for all his hard work. I said good luck and also to his mother. I never thought he would be one of the players I would miss the most.

I think Boat surpassed the expectations all of us had, both as a player and a person. I don't think anyone else has ever matured more over their four years as a Husky than he did.

Reaction Score
He really became a reliable scorer his senior year. He tried to do everything he could and elevated his game as far as 3-pt shooting and assists. Unfortunately he could only do so much for young team that lacked talent. Love RB and hope he realizes his NBA dream! Love you BOAT! Go UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
I've been watching and supporting UConn Basketball for 50 years this season, starting my Fr year with Wonderful Wes and Toby, then Tony, later sitting with coach Jim OB watching a future recruit and friends kid- Glenn Miller -on and on. There have been many players but BOAT is right up there with my favorite players. I remember his first UConn "show"-madness where he won the slam dunk contest beating Andre in the final-after Andres' dunk that Ray called NBA-esque! I knew he would be special after that night and he's been all of that. Thanks and best of luck in all you do-you'll always be a part of the College Basketball Capital of the World-as well as a Champion!

Reaction Score
Thank you Ryan... you have done our University, our team, all of us fans, your family and yourself proud. I will always be happy you donned the UConn uniform and represented this University for 4 years.

Reaction Score
Really hope he doesn't have a cuff tear for his nba work outs. Thanks Ryan. All time great in my book!

Reaction Score
I think Boat surpassed the expectations all of us had, both as a player and a person. I don't think anyone else has ever matured more over their four years as a Husky than he did.
I told him a similar thing one of the two times I met him after a game. He was very gracious to my kids both times. He will be a success on and off the court.

Reaction Score
Being a UConn fan, we have seen a ton of special kids develop on the floor over their 3-4 year career. I can't remember a single kid who has visibly grown so much as a person like Boat. Maybe it was the death of his close cousin that put things in perspective or maybe it was simply maturity, but midway through last year Boat changed for the better and not only did it make him a better player and teammate, but was also the main reason/difference why UConn won the title. Although this season fell short of most of our expectations, Boat exceeded mine. He was simply amazing, even better than his stats suggest. In many ways, Boat's worse game this year was his last and now looking back it was somewhat fitting. Vs. Smu, we saw some of the old Boat, the frustrated Boat who allowed his emotions get the best of him as a player. But rather than be critical, it actually made me appreciate him more. It was one last example, one last reminder for all of us fans on how much this young man has grown on and off the court. Good luck Boat.............UConn nation will always have your back!

Reaction Score
Matured? Boatright? He was a talented player but an All About Me player. The team will be better off without him.

Reaction Score
Boatright needed a sidekick in the backcourt that could really play. He didn't have it and it was brutally hard for him. Shabazz wouldn't have been any better without Boat. Anything you need to know about Boat is covered in that article. He couldn't have said anything better. He is a UCONN man and his love and respect for our culture as a program, school and state should make us all Boat fans. The kid gets it. He can live in CT and be treated like royalty for the rest of his life.

For those that question his heart, just look at his defense. Real men play defense, Boat played defense. My son always asks me why my basketball career went nowhere when I was a good athlete that competed nationally in a different sport. I could score and shoot well on the court with D1 players in my day and still play with him and his friends who are very good teen AAU players. I always tell them that I didn't have enough heart and I didn't understand hard work. My defense was weak and I didn't put in the effort. Boat was apparently more mature than I was, though the average fan would have thought otherwise. You have to be really tough and motivated to play like Boat. I have complete respect for him and his promises in that last interview reflect that he understands that UCONN has done plenty for him and he will be there for us. If you don't like him, you are very misled. It ain't easy being Boat.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“Everybody’s situation is different,” he said. “All I can do is tell [future players] that this is a great university, they will always love you. As long as you continue to work hard, play your heart out and leave it out on the floor, this state, this program and the fans will always embrace you.”

“UConn is forever a part of me, this will always be my second home outside of Chicago,” he said. “Whenever I get a chance to come back up here to help the team, talk to kids and coach with camps, I’ll definitely be here to do it.”

“It meant a lot,” Boatright reflected. “They continue to support me and show me love no matter where I am; in the gym, outside of basketball and even at the barber shop. They just showed me so much love and support and I will always appreciate that.”

Reaction Score
01Neaggrad02 said:
Matured? Boatright? He was a talented player but an All About Me player. The team will be better off without him.

You could post that the Gampel roof is square and be just as accurate as this pearl of wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom