Post game quotes from the papers | The Boneyard

Post game quotes from the papers

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Turnovers turn the tide​

Connecticut finished with 22 turnovers; Maryland had just five. That was the biggest difference — although the Terps also went 12 for 30 from behind the arc while Connecticut finished 3 for 10. Auriemma pointed to Maryland’s pressure and some of his players holding new roles that they’re not yet accustomed to.

“They’re having to be more playmakers than finishers and scorers,” he said. “It’s uncomfortable for them, and it’s hard to sustain. [Turnovers] come in bunches a lot of times, and some are self-inflicted. They’re not caused by anything other than bad decisions that we make. ... So it’s a little bit of a struggle when you’re in that situation. You can keep it together for a long time, but it’s asking a lot to keep it together for an entire 40 minutes.”

“I couldn’t be prouder of my team and how we represented ourselves,” Auriemma said. “It was a gutsy, amazing performance.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Turnovers turn the tide​

Connecticut finished with 22 turnovers; Maryland had just five. That was the biggest difference — although the Terps also went 12 for 30 from behind the arc while Connecticut finished 3 for 10. Auriemma pointed to Maryland’s pressure and some of his players holding new roles that they’re not yet accustomed to.

“They’re having to be more playmakers than finishers and scorers,” he said. “It’s uncomfortable for them, and it’s hard to sustain. [Turnovers] come in bunches a lot of times, and some are self-inflicted. They’re not caused by anything other than bad decisions that we make. ... So it’s a little bit of a struggle when you’re in that situation. You can keep it together for a long time, but it’s asking a lot to keep it together for an entire 40 minutes.”

“I couldn’t be prouder of my team and how we represented ourselves,” Auriemma said. “It was a gutsy, amazing performance.”

UConn’s 22 turnovers from THIS group is not news. We all saw the game. 22 turnovers from our regular starters would be news. No team can win a game with that many turnovers. Maryland scored on most of those turnovers. Had we been able to keep the turnovers down to a single digit, we win.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There was a Hartford Courant article that had the same quotes from Geno.

I think this may be the first time in history when Geno praised his team after a loss. Normally, after a loss, he will talk about how the other team was better and his team just didn't handle what the opponents were doing.

In these quotes, he was almost gushing about how the team acquitted itself well everywhere but on the scoreboard, and said that many of the players' performances bode well for the team's future.

I think that is true. Most especially I would say that about Ayanna Patterson, who made a short-corner jump shot and only committed 3 fouls in 17 minutes. Actually, she only really had two fouls -- the third was in the final minute when she was fouling intentionally to stop the clock. I think she is learning UConn college basketball at warp speed.

Since Amari is now playing well enough not to hurt the team in a limited number of minutes, I think the front court corps of Dorka / Aaliyah / Ayanna / Amari means that this part of the UConn roster is actually pretty solid even against top competition. If Aaliyah continues to play like an All-American while staying out of foul trouble, that will be even more true.

Caroline's creditable 39 minutes and Ines's holding the fort in the back court are also praiseworthy but have been commented on elsewhere. Aubrey has had one bad game (against Notre Dame) but has been great against good competition in several other games including yesterday's.

Reaction Score
Normally, after a loss, he will talk about how the other team was better
That would have been difficult to believe, given how MD actually played against Aaliyah Lou and the Bench.

Reaction Score

Turnovers turn the tide​

Live Geno’s comments

Reaction Score
Think Geno is a different coach from the man who, after the horrible loss at GA Tech last season, just sat there and in a dazed tone said “ I don’t know what to do”.
Maybe after 38 years he’s decided that his players can actually help themselves out of an adverse predicament.
He and his coaches need only provide the knowledge, experience and, yes, patience to guide them into the light.
His evident delight at Ines’ performance and his unusual response to a loss ( any loss, under any circumstances) might reflect this.
Or maybe not.
He may be howling and jumping in everyone’s faces this week in practice

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Think Geno is a different coach from the man who, after the horrible loss at GA Tech last season, just sat there and in a dazed tone said “ I don’t know what to do”.
Maybe after 38 years he’s decided that his players can actually help themselves out of an adverse predicament.
He and his coaches need only provide the knowledge, experience and, yes, patience to guide them into the light.
His evident delight at Ines’ performance and his unusual response to a loss ( any loss, under any circumstances) might reflect this.
Or maybe not.
He may be howling and jumping in everyone’s faces this week in practice

IMO the entire team and staff was "dazed" since that was the first game after Paige got hurt. I wasn't thinking we would lose by that much but I certainly thought we could lose. That was a massive blow. Bad example on your part. That game was a big time outlier.

In first game without Paige Bueckers, UConn falls to unranked Georgia Tech: ‘We’re disorganized’

Reaction Score
Geno has consistently made the point of how many points are sitting on the bench.

Unfortunately, the number keeps growing- from 40 to 50 and now 70,

The good thing is that most of those points will be back by the end of the regular season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom