Post-game punch in WNIT tournament | The Boneyard

Post-game punch in WNIT tournament

Reaction Score
Didn't see this elsewhere, maybe because it's WNIT and nobody but the players playing in the NIT care about it but this was making news. And on the heels of handshake verbals in the Louisville/Texas game. Sad to see. After the game so might end up with an assault charge.

Reaction Score
The Memphis player hit the BGSU player from behind and she was down for a while. What ever is happening in the games in boiling over.

Reaction Score
I have to think this is a combination of the bad referreing, the replays on jumbo screens that prove it, no ability to appeal bad calls, and no freedom of movement anymore. I've watched too many games the last couple seasons that are basically wrestling matches. You can't be surprised when the next step is actual fighting....

There are also actual statistics that show that COVID isolation has made this generation of kids less able to process their emotions and interact with others. Violence in schools is statistically up since kids went back to the classroom.

Reaction Score
I have to think this is a combination of the bad referreing, the replays on jumbo screens that prove it, no ability to appeal bad calls, and no freedom of movement anymore. I've watched too many games the last couple seasons that are basically wrestling matches. You can't be surprised when the next step is actual fighting....

There are also actual statistics that show that COVID isolation has made this generation of kids less able to process their emotions and interact with others. Violence in schools is statistically up since kids went back to the classroom.
"This generation of kids."

Shutes is a 5th year senior. COVID started when she was 19 or 20 years old. Her emotion management skills were pretty well developed -- or not -- by that point in her life. Let's leave the psychoanalysis to the experts.

Reaction Score
"This generation of kids."

Shutes is a 5th year senior. COVID started when she was 19 or 20 years old. Her emotion management skills were pretty well developed -- or not -- by that point in her life. Let's leave the psychoanalysis to the experts.
Yeah this same type thing happened back in 1951 in Indiana during a high school playoff game. A player was going for a layup when an opposing player undercut him. Both benches cleared and one player even had to get stitches in his shoulder when he got thrown into a trophy case.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yeah this same type thing happened back in 1951 in Indiana during a high school playoff game. A player was going for a layup when an opposing player undercut him. Both benches cleared and one player even had to get stitches in his shoulder when he got thrown into a trophy case.
Are you trying to be funny?

Reaction Score
To me the most disturbing thing aside from the punch itself is how casually the Memphis players walk away from the incident. No one even tries to help Brett up other than her own teammates. Really scary how indifferent people can be to violence.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you are saying that bad calls and jumbo replays are a valid reason or excuse for a player to physically attack, via sucker punch, another player and then use your reasoning as a valid defense for their actions.

I hope we never end up being neighbors.

This is flat-out assault with intent to commit bodily harm. This offender should be held completely accountable...after her conviction!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ezc
Sounds like you are saying that bad calls and jumbo replays are a valid reason or excuse for a player to physically attack, via sucker punch, another player and then use your reasoning as a valid defense for their actions.

I hope we never end up being neighbors.

This is flat-out assault with intent to commit bodily harm. This offender should be held completely accountable...after her conviction!

Judgement on right and wrong is not the same as studying the patterns around a wrong action and how to prevent the likelihood of a wrong action to take place in the future. It was assault and I'm glad she was arrested.

Reaction Score
To me the most disturbing thing aside from the punch itself is how casually the Memphis players walk away from the incident. No one even tries to help Brett up other than her own teammates. Really scary how indifferent people can be to violence.
That's one way to look at it, however not everyone will react in the manner you think they should have. Too many possibilities because of human nature.

The players could have been in shock and unable to react. Or they could have heard a coach/staff member tell them to keep moving to avoid having the situation get worse. It's unfair to speculate and judge them based on a 10 second clip.

The proper actions were taken by the police. This is a criminal and legal matter now.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Memphis was involved in one of the uglier and more bizarre issues in November against St John’s where the team and the Memphis coach behave abhorrently. To me, this is another coach who preaches the “chip on the shoulder style” of play. The University should come down hard on the program to make an emphatic point to the coach and players this type of behavior is unacceptable. I doubt they will though…sadly:(

Reaction Score
I believe the Memphis player was saying that she was attempting to show the opposing player her engagement ring and when the opposing player tried to bit her fingers she pulled them into a fist and the other player ended up hitting her closed hand with her head.

Reaction Score

So people are no longer responsible for their own actions? Wow

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Memphis was involved in one of the uglier and more bizarre issues in November against St John’s where the team and the Memphis coach behave abhorrently. To me, this is another coach who preaches the “chip on the shoulder style” of play. The University should come down hard on the program to make an emphatic point to the coach and players this type of behavior is unacceptable. I doubt they will though…sadly:(

Well, something happened because Coach Merriweather announced her resignation: not because of the Bowling Green incident or the one (and perhaps others) that you cite, but because she'll be taking another job. ???

Reaction Score
Well, something happened because Coach Merriweather announced her resignation: not because of the Bowling Green incident or the one (and perhaps others) that you cite, but because she'll be taking another job. ???

Cincinnati. Not a super great look for the Bearcats, imo.

Reaction Score
This type of behavior is happening more and more frequently in women's basketball. You can find many on- court fights, intentional, over the top, flagrant fouls from just this past season alone on YouTube. Please stop blaming Covid for everything wrong with young peoples' behavior. Much of it is simply from how they are raised and parent (or lack of) rearing. Another factor is the antics of some "role models" many young athletes see in action in professional sports. Schools, as well society, at large have seen violent, aggressive behavior from pre-teens through young adults. Social media also plays a role in normalizing such behavior. In many of these college basketball incidents, you simply get what you recruit, and how you coach.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Did the Cincinnati AD even bother to read her Wiki page? Yikes! She’s been caught cheating and given the SJU game and now this Bowling Green Inciden, if I am the UC President I think I have to interven.

Reaction Score
Think of the NIL opportunities with Everlast! They already make gloves the right colors for Cincy!
Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 1.53.00 PM.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom