Post game - colgate press conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post game - colgate press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The Colgate coach certainly has no fear and believes in coaching up, not down. Not only playing UConn, but immediately following us, this weekend is Gonzaga. I think it's pretty good when you can get a team like Gonzaga to travel all the way across the country to your place. And since she was Doug Bruno's associate head coach previously, I think Colgate is on the rise. She has her kids heads in the right place, too. I am now officially a fan.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Loved the heartwarming Colgate press conference...though I am a little disappointed by the noticeable lack of oral hygiene-related puns.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Loved the heartwarming Colgate press conference...though I am a little disappointed by the noticeable lack of oral hygiene-related puns.
Wrong thread - Link

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Okay, you asked for it. It's the old college setting "Three Ways Clean -- It's Colgate Clean." They just don't make great commercials like this anymore, though I have to admit it's probably from before even my time, maybe early 1950s.

Nice clean game between Colgate and UConn anyways.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
It was just a a matter of time before I replied to all these posts with a heartfelt thank you.

As a Colgate grad (who actually worked for the women's basketball team when 250 would have been amazing attendance), this is the proudest I have ever been of Colgate for just doing the right thing. I just happened to be back east so was able to watch it on SNY (which I can't get here in CA) and it was very special and inspiring to have UConn and Breanna Stewart in Cotterell Court. The most fans we got for women's basketball and volleyball were usually when the timing coincided with the football players finishing dinner at their training table a mere 25' away.

It's a terrific school with great people, and now with a new coach (and the assistant coach) with the philosophy of playing hard teams, I have to think they too will benefit -- a great decision that might also reap benefits in the long-term. I expect them within a few years to win the Patriot League and be in the NCAA's. In the meantime, hopefully all the new Colgate fans will help them beat Gonzaga (you have to dream, but the only way to achieve dreams is to aim high and work hard)!

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on how you define a great season. They are very unlikely to finish in the top half of their league and very unlikely to have a winning league record. Also very unlikely to average over 300 a game (real attendance) for the rest of the season. This was a great night for them - but unlikely to cause much long-term change.

Um, Colgate averaged 353 home attendance last year with no UConn game in there, and anyone who has a clue about the Raiders' attendance knows that it gets a little boost during Patriot League action, so why be such a downer on them by saying that after the great UConn game experience that that the average (excluding the UConn game) will be worse than last year? In addition the coach says she has her best team ever, and the Patriot League is not a fearsome group, and after going 7-11 and winning 4 of their last 5 last year, Colgate is rated in the middle of the 10-team group with a 2-7 Holy Cross and 0-8 American rated just ahead of it in Sagarin. Not thinking they'll be league champion, but can't see why there's any big reason for all the "very unlikely" negatives towards a team that could well develop as the year goes on, just like the did last year when they won 7 of their last 13.

Just maybe the UConn experience can be good for the Raiders and they will get a positive season this year, rather than the plummeting attendance and doomed record you saddle them with. I would define success as not only being proud of your own team but also not being a Debbie-downer toward an upbeat Colgate program. Seems that from most of the comments above, a lot of UConn fans may be thinking the same thing.

A quick update. As is the case so often, reality once again has won out over dreams. I would love to see Colgate do well, but it was pretty clear that wasn't going to happen this year. As it turns out, they are now tied for last place in the Patriot League with a 2-9 record. Lost to both Holy Cross and American, among others. Attendance continues to be well under 300 per game (actual number of people in the seats) - despite a ticket price of $5 for a seat at midcourt. As expected, the UConn game was a great day - but no lasting effect.

Reaction Score
Sadly but not surprisingly, Nicci Hays Fort was relieved of her head coaching job today by Colgate. She is a nice person who tried really hard to build their program - but the reality is that the team was worse this year - her 5th season - than it was her 1st season. Ended up 7-23 and 9th in the league. She should have no trouble landing an assistant's job. Perhaps we'll see her back with Doug Bruno at some point.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sadly but not surprisingly, Nicci Hays Fort was relieved of her head coaching job today by Colgate. She is a nice person who tried really hard to build their program - but the reality is that the team was worse this year - her 5th season - than it was her 1st season. Ended up 7-23 and 9th in the league. She should have no trouble landing an assistant's job. Perhaps we'll see her back with Doug Bruno at some point.
Bad things happen to good people. And good, classy coaches.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Perhaps this presser can be packaged up and have a bow put on it and deliver it FIRST CLASS to the AD and head coach at Syracuse. Maybe they can research the objective of being classy. Well done to the entire Colgate family. Thank you.

I hope Syracuse is in our bracket so that we may "thank them" more properly. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22