Post Game — Post Mortem... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post Game — Post Mortem...

Reaction Score
Agreed with you....but would add a question...
Whose fault is it that a bench was not developed during the season? I mean, our recruits, compare to the other schools are not "chop liver". Meg was the best HS player for a reason... can't tell me that all of a sudden she forgot how to play basketball when she got to UCONN. Batouly, inof her injuries early in the season came on really well imo later in the season. She's a big body that could have maybe change the pace a little? The downside to cultivating and sticking with a few is that the other scouts them and their tendencies well. And a smart coach such as MM can devise an effective countermeasure. Now when the skill differential is large (i.e., early rounds of the NCAA), your small, well drilled group is likely to win out. But the the playing fields are leveled (similar skilled players), it is usually a wash. So bringing in someone that the other team may not have scouted (especially if they are limited such as ND was tonight), you may just get that little edge... a big rebound or put back, or a foul on the other team. Megan never saw the floor...can't tell me that the UCONN scheme is so difficult that she would not have made at least one meaningful play. After all, it is only basketball. Sometimes, it does not take a scheme or mastery of the way "we" play, but just a simple one-on-one basketball. Arike's was just a simple one-on-one play, nothing more.

Yup, over-reliance on stringing together precise passes means that nobody is willing and able to take the game over themselves when it's needed. You saw it in the tentative play late in the 4th quarter and overtime.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Kia and Gabby on a great four years! I'm sorry they weren't able to complete this mission but their futures are bright! The last two years is a reminder of how important recruiting can be. Dangerfield is the only recruit that has made a consistent contribution from the last two recruiting classes and that has left them with a very short bench. Whether this is due to lackluster recruiting or coaching remains to be seen. The lack of a superstar(Maya, Stewie, etc.) leaves little room for error against the stronger teams. Geno will need to coach up the incoming class in a more expedited manner to avoid another similar outcome. Another offseason after a difficult FF loss should allow Geno and the staff time to reflect and possibly adjust as necessary. As has been said to whom much is given, much will be required. I'm sure Geno isn't one to rest on his laurels and I look forward to next season!

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Kia and Gabby on a great four years! I'm sorry they weren't able to complete this mission but their futures are bright! The last two years is a reminder of how important recruiting can be. Dangerfield is the only recruit that has made a consistent contribution from the last two recruiting classes and that has left them with a very short bench. Whether this is due to lackluster recruiting or coaching remains to be seen. The lack of a superstar(Maya, Stewie, etc.) leaves little room for error against the stronger teams. Geno will need to coach up the incoming class in a more expedited manner to avoid another similar outcome. Anoththe staff time to reflect and possibly adjust as necessaryer offseason after a difficult FF loss should allow Geno and will be required. I'm sure Geno isn't one to rest . As has been said to whom much is given, much on his laurels and I look forward to next season!

where he will beat the heck out of every team in the AAC until he gets back to this point in the season and is smacked around by the Coach of the Year..Muffet McGraw.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My post in another thread:

This fanbase really needs to handle losses better. The blame game sickens me especially when it's targeted at young women who play their hearts out. Geno can handle the criticism, but what I've seen tonight is really disgraceful comments directed at young women who give their all. Basketball is a game and nothing more. Get over it. On to next season. Wow.

And this is why many posters have either cut back or stopped posting. The negativity is over the top. I will continue to support our marvelous young ladies each season. But I do not have to read the trash that now seems to dominate this board.

Gabby and Kia, we will miss you. Your personalities off the court and your talent and determination on the court will be missed and remembered. All the best in the WNBA.

To I look forward to next year. Two exciting recruits coming in to join the team. We'll be back - I have no doubt.

Reaction Score
Congrats to a great, great ND team, coaching staff and performance. They won, we lost. Plain and simple. We can second guess plays, substitutions, strategy, calls, etc. But this is WCBB at the highest level between two premiere teams with elite players. Credit everyone on ND. Arike was amazing. Westbeld, smooth. Maybry, gutsy, determined. Shepard, a workhorse. Young. WOW! And MM. Remarkable and inspiring.

Of course this is a disappointment. But it takes nothing--absolutely nothing--from my love for our team and its players. This sort of thing can happen. And it did. Don't let it wreck your day.

Now back to your regularly scheduled autopsy.

Reaction Score
While a tough loss, I hope this doesn't turn into a crazy over-reaction....we got a poster on the men's board calling Gabby the most over-rated UConn player ever.....
Isn't the internet wonderful? You're always going to find a tiny minority who give Mozart a "1 Star" on Amazon. Just ignore.

Reaction Score
we have lacked that great player that we have become so accustomed to having on our team
We have more than one of "that great player". Sometimes, the shot doesn't drop, the pass is fumbled, you don't get the call. Every game is 40 minutes. Can't judge the outcome by what happens in the final seconds with everything on the line.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I put this one on the coach. Z in the lineup gave you the momentum and the lead in the 2nd Q. You then go back to the same lineup that led to the problem to begin with in the 3rd. Kept Z out until your lead dissipates before bringing her in. Geno's record speaks for itself so I am by no means questioning his overall coaching chops. I am just questioning a particular decision. At this stage, coaching to the situation and not to a set in stone mindset is crucial. Situational coaching is not one of Geno's forte imho.
I agree completely. It was a big mistake not to start Z in the second half, but why not correct quickly? Why wait till 7 plus minutes in the 3rd?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Honestly, I put this one on the coach. Z in the lineup gave you the momentum and the lead in the 2nd Q. You then go back to the same lineup that led to the problem to begin with in the 3rd. Kept Z out until your lead dissipates before bringing her in. Geno's record speaks for itself so I am by no means questioning his overall coaching chops. I am just questioning a particular decision. At this stage, coaching to the situation and not to a set in stone mindset is crucial. Situational coaching is not one of Geno's forte imho.
Aussie, you said what I wanted to say but could not think of the proper words. Geno needs to deal with realities and not ideals. The ideal was to go with the starters but the reality was to go with the line-up that got the team the lead. Just because Geno is a HOF coach does not mean he does not make mistakes. That stubborn, set in stone mindset will potentially hurt the team's attitude and performance. How do you think Z felt after helping sparked the team to a lead in the first and second quarters only to sit in the third quarter until the lead was almost lost. She said she came to UCONN to win a NC and in a game that would give the team that opportunity, she is sitting when the game is on the line. Her positives out weighed her negatives in that game. There were some starters who did more things to hurt the team than Z did, imo.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
IMO, what they really need is to be in a better conference so they experience more competitive games. The AAC sucks and while Geno does the best he can to schedule top out of conference competition, it causes most of the tougher games to be earlier in the season rather than later. IMO When UConn gets to the NCAA tournament, they don't really know how good they need to to compete against be against the toughest competition in the nation.
This team did not know. Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson's team knew.

Reaction Score
It was not the result we had expected but what is done is done. We can second guess all we want about decisions made during the game but that will not change the result. We will be in the mix for a championship again next year assuming Z stays. I expect Notre Dame will be the team to beat and ranked number 1 . We just were spoiled by 4 years of Stewie led teams and now we have to come to terms with winning a championship every year is far from reality.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Look what it takes to beat this team. An answered prayer at the buzzer.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
A few comments about the semifinals after a night's sleep. The Louisville/Miss. St. game was poorly officiated without much benefit to either team, but McCowan clearly fouled on the drive to the basket at the end of regulation. Who knows, perhaps Hines-Allen would have missed both free throws, but odds say Louisville wins in regulation.
The UConn/ND game was obviously a huge disappointment. Their inability to solve the ND zone was a complete puzzle since the foul line area seemed to be open all night and the interior defense gave up too many layups. ND was the better team last night and deserved to win, but on the bright side, is there a bright side, it took an likely career performance from a supporting player to keep the Huskies from the final.
I think the final is a really bad matchup for ND. Shepard had the size to battle on the interior against UConn, but I think McCowan will be too much for her to handle.

Reaction Score
Isn't that what we said last season?

This team never played angry enough. It was a bad sign when Gabby said she couldn't bring herself to look at the tape from MSU. She should have had it on loop in the locker room.

So disappointing for this group that their legacy is being the ones who tightened up and failed to come through when it mattered most. At least Lou and Collier have one more shot at redemption. But we need to see more fire out of them.

Reaction Score
1) We started in a weird defense that left Young open so she had a career night
2) Our guards couldn't make a shot
3) Why not press? They have no point guard
4) Their were tons of questionable call that all went against us. One against Z in the lane. The 4th foul on Lou was really a touch.
6) We are really bad in overtimes
Yes mostly true.
Press likely would not have worked because their small guards and smaller forwards are quicker than ours. They are extremely well coached and rarely does a press work against prepared team with solid players.
The big question is why we are so bad in overtones and while it's always the players, a lot of this must fall on Geno. 11-0 in championship games and 0-5 in overtones in NCAA play or is it final fours!
Surely it falls on him mostly and some the coaching staff and some the players.
I could go on and on about this but some is his offensive system, some is the short bench and surprisingly conditioning, some is prior close games to learn to break thru these struggles and some is having at least one or a few with the mental fortitude to make it happen!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Congrats to a great, great ND team, coaching staff and performance. They won, we lost. Plain and simple. We can second guess plays, substitutions, strategy, calls, etc. But this is WCBB at the highest level between two premiere teams with elite players. Credit everyone on ND. Arike was amazing. Westbeld, smooth. Maybry, gutsy, determined. Shepard, a workhorse. Young. WOW! And MM. Remarkable and inspiring.

Of course this is a disappointment. But it takes nothing--absolutely nothing--from my love for our team and its players. This sort of thing can happen. And it did. Don't let it wreck your day.

Now back to your regularly scheduled autopsy.

They fell behind by 5 twice and fought back to tie it again both times..Once late in regulation and once in overtime. Notre Dame just happened to have the chance for the last shot and made it good. there is nothing more you can ask of this team. they played their heart out and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Reaction Score
...just when the Morgan Williams infamous shot was coming to an end...now ESPN has another promo footage for next season already queued up.

Reaction Score
It may not be Geno's style but I'm guessing that UCONN will be a more physical team next season playing with A LOT of anger and even more to prove. There are many variables that will be looked at to improve on during the offseason

Reaction Score
IMO, what they really need is to be in a better conference so they experience more competitive games. The AAC sucks and while Geno does the best he can to schedule top out of conference competition, it causes most of the tougher games to be earlier in the season rather than later. IMO When UConn gets to the NCAA tournament, they don't really know how good they need to to compete against be against the toughest competition in the nation.
I never thought I would ever be saying this but Geno's poor coaching cost us this game. He started with his first 5 in the first quarter. Ok, that makes sense. But they are killing us on that combination. He finally subs (why it took so long, has to do with something someone else said earlier...some weird stubbornness about putting Z in), 2nd quarter with that combination of players, zone defense, we take the lead and look like they got their rhythm and confidence back. 3rd quarter, he goes back to the losing combination he started with in the 1st quarter!!!! Why Why Why??? The same results in the 3rd as the 1st! ND catches up and by the time he puts Z back in, we are off balance, and never get that smooth rhythm and confidence back from the 2nd quarter. If he had come back in the 3rd quarter with the same 2nd quarter line up, I think it would have been a different result.... Geno may be too caught up in philosophying about winning too many, blah blah blah... and spoiled players blah bah blah...just put in the best players at the time and stop trying to be the greatest philosopher!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom