Post-championship seasons | The Boneyard

Post-championship seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's state first off how ridiculous it is that this is the fourth time in recent history we enter a season as defending national champions. And how despite the fact that none of those seasons after have gone great, it's a pretty good problem to have.

So, the question is, where will this one fall on our list of post-title seasons? From worst to best, I'd put them:

2012: So much talent, never figured it out. For a brief moment in the Big East tournament it looked like it was starting to gel -- the West Virginia comeback, and I think we led Syracuse by nine in the quarterfinals at one point. But no one was surprised by our first-round flameout.

2000: To my mind the most frustrating season of the Calhoun era. We were coming off a stretch of absolute domination in the Big East, and we really fell to earth. Freeman as a 3 didn't work, Deng never panned out, everyone seemed off-kilter. Despite all that, made it to the Big East title game and looked primed for a tournament run before Khalid hurt his ankle. Overall, though, a huge letdown.

2005: Another frustrating, up-and-down regular season, but we were hitting on all cylinders by the end of the regular season. Villanueva in particular looked like he'd hit another level. Which made the postseason flop all the more shocking. We probably were over-seeded at a No. 2, but should've dispatched NC State, Hodge or no Hodge.

I know most people will say we're not going to end up like those teams this year -- too much talent, Kevin Ollie, etc. I'd like to agree, but history shows a tough season ahead.

Reaction Score
I think we'll see a season similar to 2005 in regards to regular season play...but that team got done in by injuries and suspensions so its not surprising they went out early. Its amazing they were able to overcome the injuries to AJP and Rashad(Rashad was a shell of himself when he came back) to even round into form at the end of the year, but the injury to Denham when he sprained his MCL in the BET was the capper. The team was left with basically MWill and a freshman Rudy on the perimeter, and then MWill sprained his ankle in the NCAAT, it was gonna be a struggle to go deep with all those hits.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My hope comes from the fact the influx of new talent seems ready to contribute from day 1. Combine that with a defined leader and a rim-protector and I like our chances.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
As far as the season goes, I hope we are as good as 2005 and think we have a pretty good shot.
But I think we will outdo the other 3 in the tourney if we stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom