Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

Reaction Score
Great synopsis of why she left Nebraska and why she chose ND!
Has NOTHING to do with why she applied for a waiver request or why it was approved. !
YOU GET AN INCOMPLETE! Nice try though.

LOl..She left b/c they were rebuilding, she wanted to play for Championships and the 2 finalists were S Carolina & ND. Immediate eligibility is not meant b/c your current school & coaches stink, can't help you improve and/or your team is near the bottom of the conference. You really can't be this naive. FYI, the BS on a waiver didn't come up to to very late in the summer, after she talked to ND AD. Look up the articles, it was a sham made up story the lying Irish concocted.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ahhhh, my favorite topic. Waivers. I'll get back on my soapbox on this topic. Suffice it to say that I think there should be no waiver process. There's no criteria and no transparency. It's ridiculous. Immediate eligibility or all transfers sit out.

As for the Shepard Waiver, we were told the reasons were personal and/or a "hardship" of some sort. That makes it clear.

The Shepard waiver was granted the day before or the day of ND's first game of the season. After the news, Dawn Staley tweeted cryptically to the NCAA "what goes in to approving or disapproving waivers." Dawn also accused some unnamed teams of lying to get waivers approved. Of course, we know Dawn recruited Shepard so likely knew all the facts surrounding her decision to transfer from Nebraska.

Again, the process is ridiculous. But as long as the process is there, all players and teams should file petitions for every transfer.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Are you speaking to @CocoHusky on this? Or "You" in a more general sense.

He's right. The reasons for transferring and the reasons for the waiver are totally different things.

How can they be totally different things? The waiver is from a transfer rule. The rule says you sit a year. The waiver petition says my reasons for transferring should allow me to play immediately.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you speaking to @CocoHusky on this? Or "You" in a more general sense.
He's right. The reasons for transferring and the reasons for the waiver are totally different things.
How can they be totally different things? The waiver is from a transfer rule. The rule says you sit a year. The waiver petition says my reasons for transferring should allow me to play immediately.
They are different things because when Jessica Transferred she had no idea if a waiver would be accepted or even where she would end up. She transferred to ND, then the waiver was submitted.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They are different things because when Jessica Transferred she had no idea if a waiver would be accepted or even where she would end up. She transferred to ND, then the waiver was submitted.

So? The chronology you describe is not unusual. The waiver petition must still be based on the reason for the transfer.

There used to be a hardship waiver that said a student-athlete who is transferring could be eligible to play immediately if s/he sought a waiver and the reasons for the transfer met certain criteria (sick family member, etc). The NCAA did away with the hardship allowance but the waiver petition must still be grounded in the reason for the transfer in the first place.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA is currently reviewing the criteria for waivers, likely because of complaints. One of the criteria has always been why the student needed to transfer.

The waiver directive last changed in April to allow waivers for immediate eligibility in cases that met specific criteria. The guidelines also changed at that time to add an academic element and a requirement that the first school not oppose the waiver, in addition to the existing requirement that the student needed to transfer because of something outside that student’s control.

DI committee reviewing transfer waiver guidelines

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fundamentally I am firmly parked where you are when you say: There's no criteria and no transparency. It's ridiculous. Immediate eligibility or all transfers sit out.
I arrived at this place before the Jessica Shepard's situation. Chatrice White transferred from Illinois in 2016 to Florida State. Chatrice's teammate at Illinois Brooke Kissinger transferred home to Creighton also in 2016.
White was made immediate eligible and Kissinger had to sit out the year.

I will not go as far as Dawn did and @Sven23 has and accuse ND of lying on the application because there are multiple reasons for Shepard leaving and more importantly those reasons must be communicated in different ways. When Jessica is talking to a reporter or Dawn Staley that reason might come across as I was not being challenged and I want to compete for a Championship. I believe Azura said something similar on her transfer from Duke. That same reason, however valid, would be a non starter for a NCAA waiver application so you come up with different reason, equally valid but more likely to get your application approved.
Dawn is not in a position to accuse anyone of lying unless she was privy to the contents of the waiver application. The NCAA approved the application and hopefully verified that the reason was valid.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's baffling when multiple players transfer from the same school at the same time and some are granted immediate eligibility while others have to sit a year. Weren't they subject to the same situation? Oregon lost 3 transfers last year, 2 had to sit and one was able to play right away. How does that make sense? Nebraska lost a bunch of players and it was a hodge pode of immediate eligibility vs. sitting out a year. Natalie Romeo left the year before Shepherd and didn't have to sit out a year at UW. Chandler Smith transferred to Gonzaga and did have to wait a year to play. The whole thing is confusing and makes no sense. I agree w/ the sentiment, everybody sits for a year or everybody is immediately eligible, none of this pick and choose stuff with no transparency.

Reaction Score
How can they be totally different things? .
They can be totally different things if you are just saying stuff to the public and if you are actually meaning something else on paper. We should just grow up. Everybody is a politician now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom