Possible allotment of playing time | The Boneyard

Possible allotment of playing time

Reaction Score
Looking at the roster for this season reminds me of the teams with Svet, TASSK, Shea, and others when no one hardly played more than 25-27 minutes a game because the talent was so deep. I started thinking about how Geno and the coaching staff will allot the playing time minutes in his rotations (of course, assuming everyone earns PT by how they practice). That said, here is how and to whom I envision the minutes getting spread out:

Four players @ 25+ minutes pg (C. Williams, ONO, Evina, Anna)= min 100 minutes pg

Two players @20+ minutes pg (Aubrey and Paige)= min 40 minutes pg

Three players @ 15+ minutes pg (Aaliyah, Mir, Nika)= min 45 minutes pg

One player @ 10 minutes pg (Paith)= no more than 10 minutes pg

One player @ 5 minutes pg (Autumn)= no more than 5 minutes pg

= 200 minutes a game

Now the players with minutes with plus signs can get their additional minutes from the bottom two players (in my example it's Paith and Autumn) and spread out to the top 9, or more minutes can be taken from the 9th player in terms of minutes and given to the top 8 if Geno sticks to an 8 man rotation, especially in big games.

Reaction Score
Paige, Evina, CWill, AMak = 106-108 minutes.
ONO = 28 -30 minutes
Griffin/Edwards = 36 - 40 minutes
Mir/Nika = 15-19 minutes
Piath = 5-6 minutes
Autumn = 2-3 minutes

Paige is too good to not be in the top tier with the other 3 perimeter players for minutes.

Reaction Score
Looking at the roster for this season reminds me of the teams with Svet, TASSK, Shea, and others when no one hardly played more than 25-27 minutes a game because the talent was so deep. I started thinking about how Geno and the coaching staff will allot the playing time minutes in his rotations (of course, assuming everyone earns PT by how they practice). That said, here is how and to whom I envision the minutes getting spread out:

Four players @ 25+ minutes pg (C. Williams, ONO, Evina, Anna)= min 100 minutes pg

= 200 minutes a game

Now the players with minutes with plus signs can get their additional minutes from the bottom two players (in my example it's Paith and Autumn) and spread out to the top 9, or more minutes can be taken from the 9th player in terms of minutes and given to the top 8 if Geno sticks to an 8 man rotation, especially in big games.

Three players @ 30+ minutes pg (C. Williams, ONO, Evina)= min 90 minutes pg

Three players @23+ minutes pg (Aubrey, Anna and Paige)= min 69 minutes pg

One player @ 19+ minutes pg (Aaliyah)= 19 minutes pg

Two players @ 8+ minutes pg (Mir, Nika)= min 16 minutes pg

Two players @ 3 minutes pg (Autumn and Gabriel)= no more than 6 minutes pg

= 200 minutes a game

Reaction Score
With a team expected to have only a few games where the outcome is in doubt, averages for minutes played over a season doesn't really reveal the true picture. I have no doubt that the players I expect to be at the end of the bench will play a few minutes in most games, because most games will be 20 plus point wins, and the starters will be sitting the last few minutes.

What will be far more important, is what kind of rotations, and minute breakdowns there will be in a game where the outcome is in doubt. Against the South Carolina's, Baylor's, and Notre Dame's of the world, several players, say Mir, Piath and Autumn, may well get DNP coaches decision.

There is far more agreement as to the top 7 players on this roster than who should start. Most would probably agree, however, that whoever winds up being #6 and #7 off the bench will eat up most of the backup minutes in a contested game. So in the big games I see the starters around 30 minutes a game, the first two off the bench getting close to 20 minutes each, and the #8 player (probably Nika) getting about 10 and that's it.

Now since the tail end of the bench is far more talented than the last few years, I would love it if Geno concludes he could use them to advantage, by adopting a pressing style that wears out the competition. That could in theory be advantageous even if it reduced the starter's minutes somewhat. The other possibility would be to use that strategy against the lessor teams with mediocre starters and weak benches. That would be a way to get everyone involved in most games, but I suspect he would resort to the 8 player rotation in the important games.

Reaction Score
I think players like Muhl and Piath will just get 2 or 3 minutes at the end of games at least in the beginning which leave more minutes for Edwards and the others.

Reaction Score
While estimating minutes is a fun use of time in a Covid influenced environment, not sure what it means once the season starts. As we know, Geno can dramatically change his substitution pattern game to game based on the competition and what he hopes to accomplish for both the team and player. Any coach that would bench Stewie and similar all time greats can not be counted on to always be predictable.

Reaction Score
Folks, this is not fantasy basketball. Minutes change every game because of matchups, illness, injury, good/bad practices, foul trouble, etc., etc. Find a good book and read it.
Relax Sir! How is this any different than people on here guessing about starting lineups, possible AA, etc? This is the OFF season and, as such, allows us fans to ponder even the most mundane things. Besides, my post was about the AVERAGE minutes they would get, which already would account for big games and the numerous Big East blow outs sure to come. I think you may want to take up a good book about basketball before you try to get condescending with anyone. BTW, have a great weekend! :)

Reaction Score
Relax Sir! How is this any different than people on here guessing about starting lineups, possible AA, etc? This is the OFF season and, as such, allows us fans to ponder even the most mundane things. Besides, my post was about the AVERAGE minutes they would get, which already would account for big games and the numerous Big East blow outs sure to come. I think you may want to take up a good book about basketball before you try to get condescending with anyone. BTW, have a great weekend! :)

condescension was the furthest thing from my mind. I just think estimating minutes is an incredibly futile exercise, particularly when none of us have seen six of the 11 play college basketball.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Christyn getting starter's minutes depends very much on whether she has improved since last year, particularly in the area of shooting in big games and under pressure. If she has the same issues in these areas as she had last year, her minutes may go the way of Caroline Doty's in her later years.

Other returners may have similar issues, but none of them has the two years of starting experience that Christyn has. So I am more confident of their likely performance this year.

Reaction Score
Nika is my underdog...She'll be sneaky good & have an impact this season.

She is a very good defender and more than capable of running the offense, her inability to consistently make jump shots is what is going to be hard for her to overcome. If a defense doesn't respect her ability to make them pay from the outside, they will just sag off and focus on taking away Muhl's ability to drive and dish.

Reaction Score
With a team expected to have only a few games where the outcome is in doubt, averages for minutes played over a season doesn't really reveal the true picture. I have no doubt that the players I expect to be at the end of the bench will play a few minutes in most games, because most games will be 20 plus point wins, and the starters will be sitting the last few minutes.

What will be far more important, is what kind of rotations, and minute breakdowns there will be in a game where the outcome is in doubt. Against the South Carolina's, Baylor's, and Notre Dame's of the world, several players, say Mir, Piath and Autumn, may well get DNP coaches decision.

There is far more agreement as to the top 7 players on this roster than who should start. Most would probably agree, however, that whoever winds up being #6 and #7 off the bench will eat up most of the backup minutes in a contested game. So in the big games I see the starters around 30 minutes a game, the first two off the bench getting close to 20 minutes each, and the #8 player (probably Nika) getting about 10 and that's it.

Now since the tail end of the bench is far more talented than the last few years, I would love it if Geno concludes he could use them to advantage, by adopting a pressing style that wears out the competition. That could in theory be advantageous even if it reduced the starter's minutes somewhat. The other possibility would be to use that strategy against the lessor teams with mediocre starters and weak benches. That would be a way to get everyone involved in most games, but I suspect he would resort to the 8 player rotation in the important games.

I love your post - though I disagree to a point - and it could be very minor. Before I say it - I must say I find ALL of your posts pretty damn terrific. With me - it seems if posters disagree and we go back-and-forth at times it can become somewhat hostile though not bad. I find some of my posts - whether long or not- get on people's nerves. If you ever met me - you'd know it's harmless. So please don't take offense. It's the offseason still not much to talk about.

With that said-- I just want to bring up - in big games I don't think it would be a strength for UCONN to hard press (and if you don't hard press then you have little chance of wearing down the other team.) . I agree - in a perfect world- I would love it to be an advantage to hard press and wear out the competition. But I don't think it realistic vs the elite teams. It's amazing to think about. It would be amazing as you say if Geno feels it to be to his advantage but I think the chances are slim for it to be to his advantage vs the elite teams. Absolutely vs the mediocre and lesser teams. Knock them out as soon as you can!

But imo - this team's potential number 1 strength in which it has been a historic trademark of Geno Auriemma coached teams is in their offensive execution. So in the big games - if they play conventional - and not small ball- I see their big 4 perimeter players of Paige, Evina, CWill and AMak getting near all of the 120 minutes. Nika imo really has to show a lot - because I think the Big 4 mentioned have the capability of being All-Americans (though not all in 1 year).

I would work toward being the absolute best offensive executed team rather than being the best defensive hard press team unless Nika is terrific and Mir is near as good as Edwards and Griffin as well as if Edwards is terrific for a sub for ONO in which you lose little. I think this is all asking too much when we go against the elite teams.

Reaction Score

= 200 minutes a game

This is beyond ridiculous. They haven't even broken pre-season camp yet. Not even the coaching staff has a clue as to playing time.

Reaction Score
This is beyond ridiculous. They haven't even broken pre-season camp yet. Not even the coaching staff has a clue as to playing time.

It is ridiculous. Just as choosing a starting 5 is ridiculous. And choosing the scores before each game. And a preseason top 25. And choosing who is going to go to a FF. Choosing who might be ALL-American.

Reaction Score
I hope and pray it doesn't happen but all it takes is one major injury and everything that is projected here is blown up. I think by the middle of November we will have a much better idea of who will be doing what and for how long.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It is ridiculous. Just as choosing a starting 5 is ridiculous. And choosing the scores before each game. And a preseason top 25. And choosing who is going to go to a FF. Choosing who might be ALL-American.
I can always leave you off the Prognosticators regular season contest since it's ridiculous :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I can always leave you off the Prognosticators regular season contest since it's ridiculous :rolleyes:

Please don't. It's fun and ridiculous and my comments will undoubtedly be twice as ridiculous! I enjoy the fun.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Please don't. It's fun and ridiculous and my comments will undoubtedly be twice as ridiculous! I enjoy the fun.
Hoop, I would never do that to such an outstanding person as yourself. I hope you enjoy it this year and even get on the Prognosticators Tournament portion.;)

Reaction Score
I have recently watched 6+ videos of Nika Muhl an granted that some of the opponents were not high grade competition, as they say in the Midwest, "this dog can hunt"!
Nika is extremely athletic and is strong in almost all areas of the game!
I think the opposition on the BY to Nika will be proven wrong, and I fully expect her to fight for primary minutes!
She has great court vision and quickly reads if she has a lane to the basket or pull up with a stop & pop or thirdly can make some tremendous passes to open team mates.
Her defense comes with quick hands and feet! And you can tell she values and enjoys a defensive takeaway or stop as much as her offensive game!
I listened to her post game interviews and she speaks excellent English and will make herself understood quickly.
Geno has a pleasant problem of not enough minutes for the talent he has! He is going to have to be inventive to utilize all the talent he has! And his problem will be worst in 2021-2022 with no seniors graduating and the incoming freshmen including SHE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED!
The ONLY thing that is lacking is cohesiveness between players because they have 7 NEW players to blend in but once the coaching staff gets their points across watch out!

Reaction Score
She is a very good defender and more than capable of running the offense, her inability to consistently make jump shots is what is going to be hard for her to overcome. If a defense doesn't respect her ability to make them pay from the outside, they will just sag off and focus on taking away Muhl's ability to drive and dish.
I am sure Shea will work on that shot of hers. I'm not saying she has the talent of MoJeff but she also came in with a questionable jump shot and managed to improve it greatly.

Reaction Score
@soxfan23 what is this based on? " her inability to consistently make jump shots is what is going to be hard for her to overcome."

Her career 3pt %.

Reaction Score
I am sure Shea will work on that shot of hers. I'm not saying she has the talent of MoJeff but she also came in with a questionable jump shot and managed to improve it greatly.

I am sure she will work on and develop her jump shot at UConn, but that takes time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom